Okay i want to make my SG sound more metal, and hopefully fit me even more. I'm looking for new pickups, i currently use the stock pickups, which iam not that impressed of.

The problem is, i have no idea what pickups i should have, some people say i should get Seymour Duncans, some people says EMGs, some people say no one of them are worth it.

I play metal such as Metallica, Iron Maiden and sometimes some melodic death metal, not very often tought. And blues cuz it rocks.

I like this guitar alot, but i have experienced that my pickups have a little bit muddy and noicy sound sometimes. I have no specific amp i use, since i often play at different amps wheter its in the studio or some other places.

So does any of you guys recommend any good pickups for my guitar? Thanks alot.

BTW: I would like to have a whammy bar installed into my SG, if it's possible. Anyone familiar with prices and such?

-Ergin
i had to switch out the stock pups in my epi les paul and it did a world of difference for the sound.

for all around just badass sound, take a look at the Seymour Duncan JB 4 (i think?) i think those are the ones that mark morton from lamb of god uses. and dear christ is LoG's sound brutal. i would suggest those for you as a more metal player

as for me, i play more hard rock than metal but don't get me wrong i love metal as much as anybody else. i dropped a SD Pearly Gates in my bridge and it really kicks ass for hard rock and even metal.

as for a whammy bar, i wouldn't advise it. too costly and wouldn't really be nice in my opinion. as for other tonal options to get a brutal metal sound, check out a couple EQ pedals, they can ALWAYS help you find the tone you're looking for.

a good pair of SD humbuckers will be about 200 bucks but just remember you get what you pay for. you can never go wrong with Seymour Duncans.
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
youre playing through a microcube?

new pickups wont chnge a thing, a new (valve) amp might
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The ONLY whammy bars i have seen on SG's are vibrolas and bigsby's, both of which will not allow you to dive more than a step or 2. If nots not an issue, i have a bigsby and its great man. For pickups, i personally like EMG's, but thats just me. I haven't tried the Seymour duncan blackouts, but i hear they just destory the emg's.
So like, nipple hairs...is that sexy?
Duncans or DiMarzios would work well, but not actives. I think the combo of a Duncan Jazz or '59 in the neck with a Bill Lawrence L-500XL in the bridge. Or, maybe a DiMarzio Breed or Evo in the bridge with a PAF vintage or Virtual Blues in the neck.
yea that too a good tube amp is pretty damn important
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
I use Seymour Duncans on my Jackson, and they work perfectly for metal. I don't get feedback unless I'm standing about 3 nanometers away from my half stack with the volume on full. (And I don't ever have to change batteries).

But on the other hand, thats a lot of modification to make a guitar work for a genre that it is not built for. My honest recommendation would be to get a different guitar.
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
tube amp bud. that will be a night and day difference. you might as well get a good one that you can take with you anywhere. maybe a used krank Rev. Jr. since they supposedly put out more than enough gain on their own? and they should small enough to take just about anywhere!

pups will help define your tone, but not be what makes your guitar more 'metal' per say. though a JB and Jazz seymour duncan combo (aka hot rodded set) will be a great versatile combo. i use it in MY G-400
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
hahaha^ SGs NOT metal? toni iommi!!!!

5 syllables that DEFINE metal and he did it with an SG. SGs are more of a trebly instrument, but since the G-400 uses asian mahogany, it's darker than a gibson SG. more about the sound of a Gibson LP. so it'll do just fine for metal. now it's not gonna have a 'shred' neck as it's fat and thick. but it all depends on if your kind of metal is more riff based, lead and solo based, or both.

EQ'ing of the amp plus an EQ pedal will give you any absence of low frequencies that an SG might lack in ur taste.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I don't think i will be changing guitar I love this guitar alot and it sounds good, with exeptions of the pickups, and i've seen alot of people with g400 with other pickups that sound awesome for metal. Yea i know i got a microcube, im to lazy to get a new one becouse of the lack of my amp knowledge. Its my first and only amp i own. I do play a tube amp in studio, but not as much as i play my microcube tought. I might be switching amp when i got the knowledge (and money) so i will get a amp that suits me well. Thanks for all the info so far, keep em coming!

I've seen several Sg's with bigsbys i think? And they sound pretty cool, and it looks sexy, atleast to me.

I i would get a new amp i woldnt need a HUGE amp, as i got a small room, and i would a amp that i could take with me
yea those SGs w/ bigsbys are meant for shimmer like trem use. nothing heavy, just a lil vibrato type effect. vibrolas seem like they could be used just a tad farther but there's no point if you're just gonna wanna divebomb it and take it out of tune lol.

G-400s are the best moddable guitar in it's price range if you ask me. mine is sexy as hell and wouldn't trade it for the world.

as far as amps, sounds like you got the right idea. wait just a lil bit and save up for a good tube amp that you can use for metal. B-52s, randall RG50s and couple others get awesome reviews for affordable metal tube amps in the $400 to $600 range. tubes will pick up more frequencies (pleasing to the ear) than SS amps will and that may be what's lacking in your metal sound. you know exactly what it is when you play through a tube amp lol. go have some fun testing out some of those amps bud.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Ergin
I don't think i will be changing guitar I love this guitar alot and it sounds good, with exeptions of the pickups, and i've seen alot of people with g400 with other pickups that sound awesome for metal. Yea i know i got a microcube, im to lazy to get a new one becouse of the lack of my amp knowledge. Its my first and only amp i own. I do play a tube amp in studio, but not as much as i play my microcube tought. I might be switching amp when i got the knowledge (and money) so i will get a amp that suits me well. Thanks for all the info so far, keep em coming!

I've seen several Sg's with bigsbys i think? And they sound pretty cool, and it looks sexy, atleast to me.

I i would get a new amp i woldnt need a HUGE amp, as i got a small room, and i would a amp that i could take with me

look around these forums, get savvy and splash out on pups if the stock ones arent up to scratch with your new amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^what he said. that's how UGers like me get their smarts, stock up on all the knowledge you can especially when it's from the most experienced vets out there.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Ergin
Okay i want to make my SG sound more metal, and hopefully fit me even more. I'm looking for new pickups, i currently use the stock pickups, which iam not that impressed of.

The problem is, i have no idea what pickups i should have, some people say i should get Seymour Duncans, some people says EMGs, some people say no one of them are worth it.

I play metal such as Metallica, Iron Maiden and sometimes some melodic death metal, not very often tought. And blues cuz it rocks.

I like this guitar alot, but i have experienced that my pickups have a little bit muddy and noicy sound sometimes. I have no specific amp i use, since i often play at different amps wheter its in the studio or some other places.

So does any of you guys recommend any good pickups for my guitar? Thanks alot.

BTW: I would like to have a whammy bar installed into my SG, if it's possible. Anyone familiar with prices and such?

-Ergin

EMGs are nice but YOU have to find an original way to use them. I can go through a stack of metal CDs and tell which ones are using EMGs and which ones aren't. It's a very cliche tone. I know I talk about Coheed alot but check them out. They used EMGs on their first 3 records and IMHO don't sound like the typical EMG tone.