Page 1 of 5
So yesterday and today I cut out my neck pieces the center having a scarf cut as I have mentioned in the other threads. It looks like it came out ok. Comments and suggestions welcome. I also Glued it up. I looks ok to me. Needs a lot of TLC though. I have to sand it down and cut it up. it's still drying as of now... so I guess tomorrow is band saw day.

Plans

Scarf cut before glue

glued example

5 clamps?!?!

Pics are on Page 7
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at Aug 4, 2008,
Nice! i'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. Good luck!
-ash
Oof, I can feel competition in the air! :P

With the scarf on its side, it sure as hell won't go anywhere. Especially between two thick splices, and glued plenty. From the width of everthing, it looks like your outer splices with take the strain from the bridge and string tension, so it should stay sturdy.

This WILL be awesome.
Quote by henkka_potku
What are you exactly doing?

He's building a guitar. It's one of the things people like to show themselves doing on this thread.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
So update. I got it out of the jig and use a table saw and a sander to smooth it down. Everything looks ok, but I couldn't get to a bandsaw today. I guess that'll be tommorrow!

Template for neck

By bobdahaxor, shot with DSC-P10 at 2008-05-19

Yum! I am quite happy with the results (neck will be unpainted btw)

Opps! (table saw accident)

Last edited by ESP_Shreder at May 19, 2008,
Looks kick-ass dood.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
there seems to be alot of RR style builds poping up around here recently, making me want one even more, damn you people hahaha

this things looking sweet as a nut.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
there seems to be alot of RR style builds poping up around here recently, making me want one even more, damn you people hahaha

this things looking sweet as a nut.

I know, bloody loads of 'em, it's really odd
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
looks great. Cant wait to see it when it is done!
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
so today was band saw day... and a bit of shaping day. tomorrow is more shaping!

And I decided the neck will be painted! Hopefully the body blanks come in by the end of the week. Then I should be done shaping and such!

Bandsaw Burning the maple :-\

By bobdahaxor, shot with DSC-P10 at 2008-05-20

Top side!

Sanding

By bobdahaxor at 2008-05-20

done sanding for the day

Gluing the headstock (or the other half of it) on

Last edited by ESP_Shreder at May 21, 2008,
Quote by ESP_Shreder
yep although mint is my main competition :-D It's on mint :-P

Hah, I'm not big on competition actually. Let's just unite in refusing to pay stupid money for RR or Alexi style guitars!

Sweet work so far
we should create a group. V guitars are too expensive, so we build our own. that's what the group should be called.
actually no, I figuire i'd screw up with teh wood and the routing so I am doing that first. Neck is done almost actually. I have to route the truss rod gap and do the headstock but I can do that in a day and my alder is on the way $47 for alder... I was not liking that!
Quote by ESP_Shreder
actually no, I figuire i'd screw up with teh wood and the routing so I am doing that first. Neck is done almost actually. I have to route the truss rod gap and do the headstock but I can do that in a day and my alder is on the way $47 for alder... I was not liking that!

If it's any consolation, mine was £28 (~$56)... and that was a good price for over here =/
I really, really hope you didn't shape your neck before you routed for truss rod and put on the fretboard
yes I did. I do NOT have the fretboard on, but I did shape the neck. Any problems with doing it this way? I made sure the neck is to spec and the depth is great enough. I assume your talking about shaping the neck and gluing on the fretboard before putting the truss rod in. In that case, I did not do this!

Update! I more or less finished shaping my neck. Tomorrow is routing the truss rod cavity and cutting out the neck!

Neck profile (lopsided yes, but the way I want it and I am not totally done... yet)

By bobdahaxor, shot with DSC-P10 at 2008-05-21

Headstock glued

Upper section which I am rather proud of since I did it all by hand

So it seems I'll have the neck and headstock done this week, so next week is the body!
I just shaped my neck tonight also. It really is quite fun. It was my first try and I think it is pretty easy. I too shaped my neck before the truss rod or fretboard and there isnt a problem doing it that way.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
^^^ warmoth!!! they sell pre-slotted ebony or birdseye maple fretboards. I am going for the birdseye. I love maple fretboards. 30 dollars but well worth it. Just glue it on and trim it up. I am also buying my frets and my double action truss rod there.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
how is this a laiho guitar and not just a RR w/ dot inlays and a stop tail
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
headstock, different V shape, cutouts on the body for higher fret access, EMG pickups, 24 fret no front pickguard / control box as seen on some RR models. Other than that... nothing. It's basically a modded RR to my tastes.
Nice job so far, though I think you should definitely add some key detail that makes it your own.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
Nice job so far, though I think you should definitely add some key detail that makes it your own.

Can't help but agree. Possibly some custom graphic?
hmmm custom headstock logo? that and the headstock will be a wee bit modified. I think it'll be a bit nicer. There will be some cool paint on the main body in black to accent the white.
This guitar would look more metal than anything else before it if you left that huge paddle headstock the way it is

On a more serious note though, great yob with the neck, it looks like it'll be quite dreamy to play.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
hmmm custom headstock logo? that and the headstock will be a wee bit modified. I think it'll be a bit nicer. There will be some cool paint on the main body in black to accent the white.

Hmm...

Are you any good at art?

I'd probably carve patterns into the surface of the wood (very shallow though) , then paint on top of it, to give the paint more oomph and realism.

But if you're not into art, I wouldn't try it.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
So I was away this memorial day weekend, but I did get some progress done.

Headstock glued

By bobdahaxor, shot with DSC-P10 at 2008-05-27

Truss rod gap

I really do wonder how people can get perfectly straight lines using a router and hardwoods...... any hints?

UPS delayed my alder... so I will only be able to cut out the headstock until I get back from senior week june 7th ish.....
Quote by ESP_Shreder
So I was away this memorial day weekend, but I did get some progress done.

Headstock glued

Truss rod gap

I really do wonder how people can get perfectly straight lines using a router and hardwoods...... any hints?
UPS delayed my alder... so I will only be able to cut out the headstock until I get back from senior week june 7th ish.....

stright edge and a guide for the router will easily get you a near perfect channel for the truss rod.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Looking ace, dude!

I was so excited when my alder and maple arrived.. it means you can make serious progress. I'll pass on a tip though, from my messing around.. use a router with a clamped straight edge to do the faces of the wings to be glued. I've planed and sanded mine, but they're nowhere near straight/level enough for gluing together. I'm going to make a jig, with a fixed channel for the router to run in, then clamp my wood beneath, and slice clean lines across the edges.

Anyway, this stuff is so much fun!
lookin good man!
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
cant wait to see the finished ax man!
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife