whatadrag
Guitarist for hire.
2,501 IQ
how do I play this? I've looked through all the chord books I can find and on these forums and I can't find it.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
That's because it isn't a chord, it's an interval. It consists of a root, and a major second.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Dudududa
23 IQ
I believe....using my botch job music knowlege

That a D2 is just a D chord with the top E open

But dont quote me on that

-Chris
----
E V H 5150
Dream Cruiser
987 IQ
Quote by Dudududa
I believe....using my botch job music knowlege

That a D2 is just a D chord with the top E open

But dont quote me on that

-Chris

I know I'm quoting you on this...

But yeah, you're correct.

It would look something like

e 0
B 3
G 2
D 0
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
chea_man
no more record deal
1,689 IQ
i bet they meant to do a D sus 2 chord, like shown above. ive seen alot of people that dont know mch about music call them D2 chords, but really there is no such thing as a D 2 chord.
whatadrag
Guitarist for hire.
2,501 IQ
whats an interval? I'm just trying to read some music for my youth group band.
chea_man
no more record deal
1,689 IQ
if its yourth group band, than im 100% sure that its supposed to be a sus2 chord. worship bands use them all the time. in fact they use it so much that its annoying. i play in a christian rock band, and i get so mad when someone wants to play modern worship songs because there all the same.
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Quote by whatadrag
whats an interval? I'm just trying to read some music for my youth group band.

its most likely just a nomenclature issue. it has nothing to do with intervals.

So your reading a chord chart for your youth group and you see D2 as one of the chords right? What they are most likely looking for is a Dsus2:

---0-------------------------------------
---3-------------------------------------
---2-------------------------------------
---0-------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

For some reason alot of charts written for contemporary christian music uses "2" in place sus2, and add9 chords.

Cadd9 is often written C2. Dsus2 & Asus2 are also often written D2 & A2.

Somewhere along the line someone started using that nomenclature, and its become common place now.
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer
1,823 IQ
Quote by :-D
No. He's wrong and you're wrong. That's a Dsus2, not a D2. A D2 is interval.

Ive actually seen Dsus2 been notated as D2, I know its not correct to write it like that but I have seen it been used to mean Dsus2.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Okay, but that's basically my point. You're just affirming what I said.

Intervals have nothing to do with what the guy is looking for.

D2 = Dsus2 for his purposes. It's just a matter of nomenclature.

No reason for arguments over whats correct or not. The TS just wants to know what chord to play:

thats been answered, as well as the reason why its labeled that way.
:-D
you're an idiot
279 IQ
Quote by GuitarMunky
Intervals have nothing to do with what the guy is looking for.

D2 = Dsus2 for his purposes. It's just a matter of nomenclature.

I was letting him know that D2 is an incorrect way to refer to it, and gave him a way to finger a D2 interval. If someone asks for a D2, I assume that intervals have something to do with what they're looking for, seeing as that's an interval.
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
I was letting him know that D2 is an incorrect way to refer to it, and gave him a way to finger a D2 interval. If someone asks for a D2, I assume that intervals have something to do with what they're looking for, seeing as that's an interval.

thats fine, but here is a chance for you to learn something.

its common for charts of contemporary christian music to notate both sus2 and add9 chords simply as 2.

If you understand that, you will realize that intervals have nothing to do with his question.
you're an idiot
279 IQ
Quote by GuitarMunky
thats fine, but here is a chance for you to learn something.

its common for charts of contemporary christian music to notate both sus2 and add9 chords simply as 2.

If you understand that, you will realize that intervals have nothing to do with his question.

That's an interesting little fact there, thanks; I have no idea why but I've never played Christian charts so it's good to have picked up on that.

I hope I was able to inform him of why it's not usually referred to that way, that's all.
whatadrag
Guitarist for hire.
2,501 IQ
ok thanks for all the help I'll remember the dsus2!
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer
1,823 IQ
Okay, but that's basically my point. You're just affirming what I said.

Not really, If I ever saw a D2 I would assume it meant Dsus2, which is the correct way of notating it. I wouldnt think about an interval unless It clearly said it was the Major second from D.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
you're an idiot
279 IQ
Quote by radiantmoon
Not really, If I ever saw a D2 I would assume it meant Dsus2, which is the correct way of notating it. I wouldnt think about an interval unless It clearly said it was the Major second from D.

Then you're technically thinking incorrectly, from a fundamental standpoint it should be the other way around.
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer
1,823 IQ
Then you're technically thinking incorrectly, from a fundamental standpoint it should be the other way around.

But in general that is normally what its supposed to mean. People would normally decribe it as a Major second from D anyway rather than just writing D2,and if they did Write D2 they would usually say the interval of D2. Its actually quite common practice to use D2 instead of Dsus2, although I do prefer using Dsus2.
you're an idiot
279 IQ
Quote by radiantmoon
But in general that is normally what its supposed to mean. People would normally decribe it as a Major second from D anyway rather than just writing D2,and if they did Write D2 they would usually say the interval of D2. Its actually quite common practice to use D2 instead of Dsus2, although I do prefer using Dsus2.

More common=/= more accurate.

But the thread's done with, no need to keep this argument going.
Ordinary
UG Freak
65 IQ
You can write as D/E or Dadd9. Since the rest of the notes arn't being played.

Or if you see it or hear in a different way. it's just E with a b7.
There's just not enough information.