Im looking for an SG copy just to mess around on as a 3rd electric, might put an angus humbucker in it or something later on (only want it for the AC/DC type thing) and I was wondering which would be better value? The Vintage Vs6 SG copy at £120 or the Epiphone G-400 at £190

Now i have been impressed with Vintage, i love my les paul by them, but the SG is cheaper than my les paul cost - you get what you pay for right? Is the epiphone SG any good? Now the epiphone will be the correct body shape and everything, but vintage make some of the best copies i have seen other than epiphone, but i have never experienced their SG copy which at £120 seems a little cheap. Anyone played both? im only looking for cheap mind, as it is a 3rd electric and is just really for messing around with some AC/DC type stuff. Is the epiphone one worth the extra £70 for what you get?

any input would be appreciated
I used to have the Epi G-400 and loved it. Can't compare it to the real thing though.
I'm in exactly the same situation myself. Haven't played the Epi, but I tried the Vintage recently and it was a superb guitar especially for the price, well worth it IMO. It felt well made, comfortable to play and nice tone too.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
my experience with vintage is 100% positive - they do make great beginner/intermediate guitars

you say the SG felt good? my only worries are that its price reflects the way it was made! im in the unfortunate position of having to order on the internet as there are no vintage dealers near me, but your views help only problem is i have heard great things about the epiphone too! just trying to work out whether it is worth the extra £70 that could get me the angus humbucker!
I own the Vintage one, and it's pretty good
I got mine on ebay for £80, which was awesome value, but I've been looking at the G400 as an upgrade.
G-400 all the way!

They are seriously good for the money! Mine is perfect, tuning stays put no matter how much i play! Good tone, hardware.

The vintage....Ive played one vintage SG before, and I really dident like it, compared it directly to the G-400 and it was terrible

but it might be a different one
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
my experience with vintage is 100% positive - they do make great beginner/intermediate guitars

you say the SG felt good? my only worries are that its price reflects the way it was made! im in the unfortunate position of having to order on the internet as there are no vintage dealers near me, but your views help only problem is i have heard great things about the epiphone too! just trying to work out whether it is worth the extra £70 that could get me the angus humbucker!

I doubt it would make that much difference personally, depends more on your amp obviously.

As for the quality thing... I've been reading through a lot of reviews (I like to do a lot of research before investing my money ) and it seems that very few people have problems with the Vintage, more so with the Epiphone... but that's only internet research, no personal experience
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by AceOfBlades
I own the Vintage one, and it's pretty good
I got mine on ebay for £80, which was awesome value, but I've been looking at the G400 as an upgrade.

hmm that is interesting - i might get like that, im terrible for it. If i got the epiphone then the only upgrade for me would be the gibson (which just wouldnt happen) but if i got the vintage then id always have it in my mind that there is an upgradeable option!!

but having said that, this is not going to be my main guitar, or even my second one!
The Vintage SG is pretty good. The main reason why your LP will cost more than their Sg is simply because Les Paul type guitars always cost more than other body styles. It's just supply and demand, there is more demand for LP type guitars but the same supply, so they go at a higher price. It's also that LPs are slightly more recognisable and have been used by more famous guitarists too - some of that extra money you're paying is just so you can say you have a Les Paul, rather than the less famous and less respected SG. Kind of like how low-end Gibson models are no better (if not worse) than the high-end Epiphone models, but the Gibsons still cost more just because it's a Gibson.

Anyway. Yeah, the Vintage SG copies are pretty good. My only problems with them is the stock pickups don't thrill me (but at that price, I dont' suppose many stock pickups will), I don't like SGs with the small pickguard (but hey that's just personal preference), and I prefer the Epi neck profile over the Vintage neck profile (again though, just personal choice). Really from a sheer quality point of view I've never found anything wrong with them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I don't like SGs with the small pickguard (but hey that's just personal preference), and I prefer the Epi neck profile over the Vintage neck profile (again though, just personal choice). Really from a sheer quality point of view I've never found anything wrong with them.

me neither, but you cant get SGs with full pickguards in my price range

as for the neck profile, im buying blind really - i can try the epiphone out but not the vintage, suppose ill see if the epiphone really grabs me....