Im looking for a Gibson Grabber. so far i've found only one grabber bass, this basses look amazing and seem to have a pretty good tone. also if theirs any basses that are similiar just send the link to. thanks in advance.
Your gonna have a hard time finding a Grabber, as far as i know they went out of production a while back =(

But props if you can get one, theyre probably Gibsons most playable bass, and not half bad to boot. Eddie from Thrice uses them for like 90% of their songs
Gibson made three types of these basses in the time period of 1973-1982. They were the Grabber, the Ripper, and the G-3. The Grabber was the cheapest of the three. 75' is considered the best year for all of these basses.

These (Grabber, Ripper, G-3) are hands down the best basses Gibson EVER made, and I personally love them, they don't neck dive like other gibson basses, but to fix it they gave it a HUGE body, so you have to compete with that. They're still really cheap to buy, since they don't have a good reputation due to gibson's name in the bass world.
Quote by elemenohpee
Gibson made three types of these basses in the time period of 1973-1982. They were the Grabber, the Ripper, and the G-3. The Grabber was the cheapest of the three. 75' is considered the best year for all of these basses.

Don't you mean 2?

But yeah, if you find a Gibson Grabber, your a very lucky guy
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
there are few on ebay at the moment, take a look
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
The gibson grabber is easily the best bass ever made by gibson. The movable pickup gives a ton of variety, it is VERY thin, and it does not headdive. The ironic thing about all of this is that it is gibson's worse selling bass, they are very hard to find nowadays. Customers most likely disliked it because it varied too much from tradition.

Anyway, good luck finding one, but you will have a difficult time.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
If you check talkbass forum's under classified, i believe i saw one for sale like a month back for pretty cheap, for a gibson. It may have been a ripper but it was all white and really sexy. Id check it out because it might be the closest thing you get.
Thanks everone im gonna check some places the basses look amazing and from what ie heard in songs and such it has a pretty nice tone. Ive never played one but everyones saying its good playability so im gonna put a lot of effort into finding one. thanks everyone and wish me luck on my grabber hunt.
They don't neck dive? I thought I heard that they did a little, considering the short upper horn.

But, that series of bass was considered a "student" line, so the prices were much lower than that of the more "traditional" (worse?) Gibson basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
They don't neck dive? I thought I heard that they did a little, considering the short upper horn.

But, that series of bass was considered a "student" line, so the prices were much lower than that of the more "traditional" (worse?) Gibson basses.

It doesn't neck dive anywhere near as much because of the bigger body. But man, the grabber was awesome. It got its name because you can "grab" the largest pickup and actually move it up and down the body, giving it a TON of variety. I am fairly sure that this is the feature that separates the grabber from the ripper.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by ChemicalFire
Don't you mean 2?

But yeah, if you find a Gibson Grabber, your a very lucky guy

No I mean two. Gibson made the Grabber, which this thread is about. Which had one pickup that was slide-able. It also only had one tone and one volume for the pickup (all you needed).

They also made the Ripper, which had two humbuckers, one master volume, mid and treble controls. It also had a four position switch for different tones.

Later they made the G-3 (started in '75), which had three single coil pickups with a three way switch allowing you to play with the neck and middle pickups, all three pickups, or middle and bridge pickups. It has only one volume and one tone.
weird coincidence, I watched a band last night in which the bass player was playing a grabber. Looked like the fella just had the pickup slid as close to the neck as possible, and it was pretty farty sounding through his ampeg svt and fridge. All that nice gear negated by poor tone shaping.