Poll: Marshall Vintage Modern combo or a Hughes & Kettner Statesman combo????
Poll Options
View poll results: Marshall Vintage Modern combo or a Hughes & Kettner Statesman combo????
Marshall Vintage Modern
13 46%
Hughes & Kettner Statesman
15 54%
Voters: 28.
Hi, i cant decide between a Marshall Vintage Modern combo or a Hughes & Kettner Statesman. i love the sound of both, both combo amps with all tube overdrive. i find the Statesman has a cleaner clean channel and a more distorted overdrive to. so maybe its more versatile. but the Marshall can sound like Hendirx, or SRV very easily, and its just wonderful. i wanna play classic rock/blues with it, but i will probably be using my GNX4 to get a Metal, and Shred sound, I want to know which is better for blues/Rock and which would be better with my GNX4. Any advice???
vintage moderns suck. atleast get a JCM 800 if you want the more classic sounds as it looks like your a fan of.
Both are pretty good amps. But for me the statesman would get my vote.

One factor you should note. The H&K will sound more modern due to the el84's compared to marshalls el34's.
I'd recommend the Vintage Modern.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by False_God
Both are pretty good amps. But for me the statesman would get my vote.

One factor you should note. The H&K will sound more modern due to the el84's compared to marshalls el34's.

EL84's have an equally vintage tone, probably even more vintage, since most early british amp used them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Is the statesman even available yet?
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
i would keep trying them out until you know for sure which one you like better. this is a pretty big investment and i think you should take your time.
Quote by chea_man
i would keep trying them out until you know for sure which one you like better. this is a pretty big investment and i think you should take your time.

What are you his dad?
calm down, hes right i need to try them a lot, and find which is better. they both so expensive, ill be almost broke after i buy one. so i do really need to think about it
haha, good choice son.
if you see anything else that catches your eye, try it out too. you never know, something else might be your dream amp
Quote by Gabel
EL84's have an equally vintage tone, probably even more vintage, since most early british amp used them.

Thats true. But I always found my dsl to be a bit more modern sounding than the Jvm.
But Im not gonna argue you. You know much more so your right!

Quote by Doobergn
What are you his dad?

stfu. Hes right.
The vintage modern DOESN'T use EL34.
It uses KT66 valves.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by False_God
Thats true. But I always found my dsl to be a bit more modern sounding than the Jvm.
But Im not gonna argue you. You know much more so your right!

Well that has nothing to do wiht the EL84s, that has to do with the way the amp is built and how the preamp is made and stuff.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by chea_man
yes.

what are you, a dick?

+1, that was sound advice. if you aren't sure, keep trying them. what's the problem?

I'm not fussed on the vintage modern (only tried the head version though), and i haven't tried the statesman yet. So i'm not much help...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?