Page 1 of 9
Stole the idea from the pit, but solely metal.

Mine:

Opeth - Morningrise

The first I heard the opening riff of "Advent" I knew this was my kind of music. The gravelly vocals are great, the lyrics are damn genious, the riffs and harmonies make me scream in awe. Overall, it also inspires about 70% of my material.

Novembre - Wish I Could Dream It Again...

Death/Doom/Gothic Metal from the gods themselves. Pure unbridled glory in the first few seconds, continuing on and on throughout this beautiful, wonderful album.

Bathory - Under The Sign of the Black Mark

Black metal at its finest, top notch playing, vocalisation, and writing. The lyrics are quite spectacular, personally, and the quality is what a Black Metal album should sound like....raw and powerful.

Goredit: Honorable Mentions:

Death - Spiritual Healing

The first true death emtal I've ever heard. Its stuck with me since that day, the complex soloing, the melodic riffing, and the aweinspiring vocals combined to make a worthy/influencing experience.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

Basically created blackened death metal as we know it.

Akercocke - Rape of the Bastard Nazarene

Do I really have to speak?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at May 26, 2008,
Iron Maiden-Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell
Metallica-Kill 'em All

Pretty influential I'd say...
Opeth - Still Life
Orphaned Land - Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
This is hard to pick between 3 but alright.

Metallica- Ride the Lightning
Cannibal Corpse - Kill
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Megadeth-rust in peace
Metallica-the black album
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Dream Theater - Awake
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
last.fm[/url}
Wait, do you mean influential to me, or to the metal community as a whole?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Wait, do you mean influential to me, or to the metal community as a whole?

Influential to you.

Thus, the YOUR.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Metallica- ...And Justice For All

Pretty much the first band that got me into metal and still one of my favorite albums of all time. It's so powerful, so intricate, in my opinion some of the earliest "progressive" metal in terms of song construction. This album in general just really showed me what metal was all about and overall showed me a more right-hand centric, heavy crunching, power chord focus.

In Flames- The Jester Race

One of the first bands I listened to with harsh vocals, and also a heavy influence on my writing in way of guitar harmonies. This really showed me how to layer multiple guitar parts and have the melodies and harmonies counteract with one another, how to take three simple guitar parts and create something epic, melodic, and musically intense.

Iced Earth- Burnt Offerings

Jon Schaffer has influenced my guitar playing an incredible amount in terms of right hand technique and picking/rhythmic patterns. Iced Earth also introduced me to the idea of epic, narrative type songs that alternate between acoustic and electric and use a bunch of elements to create the overall mood of a piece.
Last edited by metal7690 at May 18, 2008,
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

The album that got me into metal. Very innovative, technical, destructive and timeless. This album has shaped my musical taste for many years now. It also inspired me to become a death metal musician.

Iced Earth - Alive In Athens

Regardless of how you feel about the band, Matt Barlow's performance is one of the best. I've not heard another vocalist that can express such passion and emotion into the music without gaying it up. The performance influences me to push myself as a musician and to really strive to give 100% of myself on performance, even though I am making music of another genre.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

This album displays such variety in its influences and composure. It influenced me to bring a variety of aspects into metal, instead of just turning on a Cannibal Corpse album and copying it like so many myspace DM bands are doing.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Pale Folklore - Agalloch
Morningrise - Opeth
Something from Dream Theater...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by restless_thrash
Metallica- Master of puppets
Megadeth- Rust in peace
Slayer- Angel of Death

Unless you mean the single, I lol'd inside.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Influential to you.

Thus, the YOUR.

Okay, let's see

Ne Obliviscaris-The Aurora Veil
UneXpect-In A Flesh Aquarium
Death-The Sounds Of Perseverance

NeO showed me how kick ass violin and dual vocals could be, and just every song on tha demo is amazing to me.

UneXpect showed me how ****ing crazy you can be and that you can incorporate whatever the hell you want and still be cool.

Death, Chuck was just ****ing awesome. Everything about this album is perfect, from the cover of painkiller, to the badass drum intro in Scavenger of Human Sorrow, and Voice of the Soul, just amazing.

Well those are some, I could name a lot more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Slayer-Reign In Blood
Suffocation-Effigy Of The Forgotten
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
"Still Life"- Opeth
I had been obsessed with Opeth a good little while before I heard Still Life in its entirety, and even knowing their style beforehand, it still blew me away. The driving force, in my mind, was "Face of Melinda". That song singlehandledly changed the way I felt towards soft tracks; not just in metal, but in general. After hearing this album, my musical tastes exploded. I got into more music in a span of six months than I had in my entire life, and it's still an ongoing process. Basically, without Still Life, and without Opeth in general, I would be completely different, not just musically, but as a person in general. It sounds really strange, but it's true. Opeth made me so much more open minded on every single level. They are and will forever be my favorite band, if only for that single fact.

"Australasia"- Pelican
This was the first album I had ever heard that consisted of "post-" music. It was my first taste of sludge, it was my first taste of more ambient music, and it completely changed my viewpoint on my musical style, and my writing process. I haven't wanted to seriously write a technical piece (meaning solos, awkward chord changes, etc.) since I began listening to the band. It's not that I don't enjoy technical pieces anymore, it's just not in my writing style. I have the mentality of "Texture > Technique", and I don't ever see myself from swaying from that. This album has had nearly as much impact on me as Still Life and Opeth, but not on the sheer scale that Opeth had on me, since I found Pelican through my experimental "Opethian Musical Renaissance", as I like to call it.

"City- Strapping Young Lad (subject to change)
It was pretty hard to think of a third album, but, at the moment anyway, SYL takes the cake. Never before have I had an album that is just so fierce, so in your face, and so insane MOVE me as this album has. It's strange to think that a massive, detuned wall of sound could put me in a dreamlike state, but it's happened, and it's all because of Devin Townsend, his band, and their musical genius. Songs like "All Hail the New Flesh" and "Home Nucleonics", while seemlingly pumping nitroglycerin directly into your bloodstream, just have that edge to them that makes it feel like that nitro might have some sort of morphine laced in it, just enough to relax you, and to let you feel every note without the nitro course into you as harshly. It's hard to explain, really. In conclusion, this album is perfect. There will never be another album like it, and it will stand alone at the top of the mountain it created from the corpses of the weak that couldn't withstand its wrath.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Number Of The Beast (first real metal album I bought)
Master Of Puppets (made me want to play guitar)
Deliverance (Opeth) (first album I bought and enjoyed with growls)
Megadeth-Rust in Peace: may be the genres bet guitar album

Death-Leprosy: Chuck Shuldingers finest, imo

Pantera-Cowboys from Hell: I wanna mosh around and fight when I hear Pantera
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Schuldiner*

Quote by eggsandham2
Megadeth- Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

Iron Maiden- Powerslave

Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Amon Amarth - Fate Of Norns
Metallica - Master of Puppets - This was truly the album that got me (and countless others) into true metal. Fast, heavy as f*** (for it's time at least), and just the fact that it has some of the greatest and influential metal songs of all time makes it so awesome.

Slayer - Reign In Blood - This was the album that started getting me into extreme metal (hell, without this album most of the extreme metal today might not exist). One of the fastest and agressive albums of all time.

Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding - This is the first death metal album i ever owned, and probably one of the best. Crazy riffs(Staring Through The Eyes Of The Dead!!!), insane basslines, pounding drums, and brutal vocals. Brutal Death Metal at it's finest.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness: The absolute epitome of Death Metal. Everything about this album just screams chaos, a factor severely lacking in DM today. Memorable, not-too-technical riffs, just old school insanity.

Primordial - Journey's End: My favourite of all the Primordial albums, and for good reasons. No other album, even Spirit The Earth Aflame, can put chills down my spine like this album can. The clean singing, the black metal shrieks, all merged together, fused by a sense of Irish music in the guitar work, and Steven O Leary's creative drumming. A masterpiece.

Bathory - Blood Fire Death: A true masterpiece of epic black/thrash metal. Not one weak song to be found. Not much I can say about Blood Fire Death that hasnt been said before, just essential.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
1st----Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, ...And Justice for All-Metallica: These were my first metal albums, and inspired me to attempt to move my guitar playing skills past, say, Green Day and Nirvana.

2nd----Train of Thought-Dream Theater-My first metal album not being made by Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth... music I discovered and liked without hearing it on the radio or TV first.

3rd----A toss up between Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked (the Sacrifice to Sebek video really pique'd my curiosity into brutal metal) or Agalloch's The Mantle (made me think about atmosphere, nature in music, and unconventional songwriting)
The first real metal album I heard was-
Tomb of the Mutilated-Cannibal Corpse...hehe...

he...

EDIT: Oh, 3..
2.Ghost Reveries
3. NUMETAL-UH-OH...-Toxicity-SOAD-(Still a good band, even though nu metal...)
Last edited by BlackSephiroth at May 18, 2008,
Metallica-Kill Em All
This album gives me the chills everytime i listen to it. My favorite album Ever and Band

Iron Maiden-Number Of The Beast
The songs are amazing and bruce dickinson is ****in awesome at singing.

Pantera-Great Souther Trendkill

The Riffs and solos are crazy.

Ozzy-Just About Everything
Ozzy will forever be awesome!
Metallica-Kill Em' All
Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power
Exodus-Shovel Headed Kill Machine
My parents think I'm smart.... I am a master of optical illusions
Disclaimer: I've never actually been in a band due to the lack of people in my area who share my musical tastes. That said, I have a crapload of music running around in my head that I want to record some day. The influences include:

Opeth-Blackwater Park

I consider this to be Opeth's definitive work. While it took a while to sink in, this album changed the way I viewed music as a whole. The heavy and soft parts blend almost seamlessly on this album, and the emotion found in these songs is only matched by a few select other bands. Bleak was, for me, an epiphany of sorts, and The Drapery Falls moved me the first time I heard and continues to do so every time.

Dark Tranquillity-Character

I considered myself a melodeath fanboy before I had heard of Dark Tranquillity, and this album cemented the genre's place in my mind as one of my favorite. Character changed how I viewed keyboards in metal; up until that point, Children of Bodom and Soilwork were the only bands I knew that had a keyboardist, and neither band could pull off the epicness of Lost to Apathy's chorus, or the eerie atmosphere at the end of My Negation or in the soft electronic-sounding part of The Endless Feed. While I've found bands that are able to pull off that same effect now, Dark Tranquillity got to me first.

Riverside-Out of Myself

Texture, texture, texture! This album took what Character did to me and pushed it to new levels. Loose Heart and The Curtain Falls are two of the most moving, emotional songs I've ever heard, and they did it through texture. Mariusz Duda is to this date my favorite keyboardist in music bar none because everything he touches is dripping with pure, unadulterated win.

There are many, many more influences, but those are the three that got to me the most.
Opeth - My arms, Your hearse

Absolutely amazing its the sheer mix of brutality and clean parts. Changed how I think of music as a whole. It opened me to so many new concepts and ideas that I would have never known.

Nile - Annihilation of the wicked

Pretty much the Album that got me into super heavy music. Its amazing how they make every instrument go so fast but all blend so seamlessly so it isn't just noise. I can now pick out the guitars and drums and be awestruck on how perfectly it blends and works.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

This is IMO the best metal album ever created. It really got me into true metal. Is pretty much my main influence when I write my songs today. Also contains my 3 favorite songs For whom the bell tolls, Fade to Black, and Call of Ktulu. Even though I rarely listen to non-death metal today, I will always listen to the full album in one sitting at least once a week.
Opeth - Blackwater Park: It is by far one of my favorite CD's ever listened to and it is also the first Opeth CD I bought. This CD alone made Opeth my absolute favorite band.

Dream Theater - Octavarium: Once again, this was the CD that got me into the band. Dream Theater is my second favorite band, but they were my first before Opeth came along. I love Progressive Metal and Dream Theater has absolutely perfected it. Plus, every member is a friggin' virtuoso at their instrument!

Megadeth - United Abominations: Say what you will, but this is really inspirational to me, because Dave Mustaine came back with a vengeance. This CD is by far one of Megadeth's best besides Rust In Peace and Peace Sells. Now, this is the only actual Megadeth Cd I own, because the rest of Megadeth's stuff that I own is off of their Greatest Hits CD and that has about every single good song that they have ever done.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Nymphetamine - Cradle of Filth
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Agalloch - Pale Folklore

While I hold Agalloch's The Mantle to be one of my favorite albums of all time, it is this album which influences me the most - the mixture of epic leads, melancholic melodies, beautiful blending of distortion and acoustics, and the incredibly dark atmosphere created is something I have yet to see done or replicated any album. Not to mention I got this album during the winter - and that makes for an experience truly unlike any other.

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Again, it is not my favorite album by this band, but it was the first. To this day I still remember my first listen. It was completely different to any metal - or music, really - I had heard up to that point, and was one of my first extreme metal albums in general. This album, along with Amon Amarth's With Odin On Our Side (which, oddly enough, is not my third choice).

Dissection - The Somberlain

Few albums have ever affected me as much as this one. The combination of emotion, melody, and darkness within this album is unparalleled (Pale Folklore comes very close). It is often overlooked due to Storm of the Light's Bane, Dissection's sophomore effort and widely-consider magnum opus, but in my opinion surpasses it greatly. I enjoy this album more than two thirds of all the melodic death metal and black metal albums I own, which truly says something.
Ride The Lightning - Metallica: It was the first thrash record I ever heard and it blew me away. At the time is was really into bands like Green Day, but then my friends showed me this and it really changed my life. It's a phenomenal record, not my favourite of all time and not even my favourite Metallica album, by it is amazing all the way through.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath: The first heavy metal record I ever heard. My parents had a vinyl of this when I was around 13 and I though it was pretty cool at the time, but it didn't have the impact that it did when I revisited it when I was older. This is really one of the greatest metal albums of all time and has everything you want in a metal album.

Are You Dead Yet? - Children of Bodom: This was my first venture into the world of extreme metal. After listening to this record, I litterally listened to everything metal. I've since heard much better extreme albums but if it wasn't for this one, I'd still be one of those people who "can't stand all that screaming crap"

Oh, I know it says three, but I HAVE to agree with the guy who said Angel of Death. That's probably my favourite metal album ever.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill. This album kicked the hell out of me the first time I heard it, and I still get the same chills from it; start to finish.

Ride The Lightning - Metallica. It was this record that I first learned to play a full song off of, as well as the first song I ever played with a band. It's not as great as Kill 'Em All or Master of Puppets in my opinion, but it had the biggest impact.

Number of The Beast - Iron Maiden. I'm not a huge fan of Maiden, if I were picking my 3 favourite albums this (or the Metallica record) would be absent, but it had the biggest effect to be sure.
reign in blood-slayer
ace of spades-motorhead
vulgar display of power-pantera
Last edited by mathman51 at May 18, 2008,