So i've been building arpeggios for fun and i made this A maj7 arpeggio (G#, A C# E)
run that sounds cool and i want to use more chords to make a song out of it, but im not sure what chord would follow the major 7 well. When you change the first chord in a key to a maj7 should the other maj chords be 7s as well? Im not very familiar with this chord in songs =/
Last edited by blueriver at May 18, 2008,
Quote by blueriver
So i've been building arpeggios for fun and i made this A maj7 arpeggio (Bb, A C# E)
run that sounds cool and i want to use more chords to make a song out of it, but im not sure what chord would follow the major 7 well. When you change the first chord in a key to a maj7 should the other maj chords be 7s as well? Im not very familiar with this chord in songs =/

The chord that would sound good after the Maj7, is the chord that sounds good to your ear.
No they don't have to be all Maj7th..... they dont have to be anything other than what sounds good to you.

BTW an Amaj7 arpeggio is A,C#,E,G#....... Bb is not part of Amaj7
Fixed it lol, wrote it kind of fast not sure where i got Bb from. When i play A minor 7th the 4th and 5th always sound good as minor 7ths as well so i thought it would work with major 7ths but it doesnt seem to sound that great =/
Last edited by blueriver at May 18, 2008,
Try E7 as the V chord and maybe D7 as the IV chord also.

Try Bmaj7add11 as the VI chord

Then try playing A Phyrgian dominate or A harmonic minor over it
Last edited by Ordinary at May 18, 2008,
Quote by Ordinary
Try E7 as the V chord and maybe D7 as the IV chord also.

Then try playing A Phyrgian dominate or A harmonic minor over it

Okay, E7 is fine. D7 is fine if it sounds good to your ears. I could see playing A harmonic minor over the E7, but how do you justify A phrygian dominant? It would imply that you're playing over an A7, which you're not, and looking at the chord scale that it forms, it doesn't contain D7 or E7. Want to offer any explanations?
known as Jeff when it really matters
becuase of the Bb and the C#

the Bb threw me off.lol

it's just the Amaj7...I guess I,IV =maj7 V= dominate 7
Last edited by Ordinary at May 18, 2008,
Quote by Ordinary
becuase of the Bb and the C#

'splain. Now. There is no Bb in any of those chords, and it would create a b2 interval over the Amaj7, a sound that isn't very becoming of the chord.
becuase i think there was a Bb in it before he changed or made a correct
on his post.
Quote by Ordinary
becuase i think there was a Bb in it before he changed or made a correct
on his post.

Your first post was 38 minutes after his last edit of his post. And your explanation was posted over an hour after the last edit.
Yes sorry i wrote Bb instead of G#, no idea why. Thanks for the suggestions everyone im going work on it now.
Quote by titopuente
I could see playing A harmonic minor over the E7
In a different context, that is normal and quite nice sounding. However, after an Ionian or Lydian lick over the Amaj7 chord, A Harmonic minor will sound VERY weird. This may be the desired sound, but it is certainly an odd and unusual way of approaching things.