Hey guys,

Sorry for yet another one of these threads - I've done some searching and just wanted to get some specific input. I'm going to my local Guitar Center soon to play around with some guitars, but I wanted to have some stuff in mind before I go there. My budget is probably as high as 700, but more realistically in the $300-600 range. I've been going for the last year on a crappy Yamaha FD02 from Costco - I've also played a few higher-end Takamines/Alvarez models that my friends have. Right now I've got a few guitars highlighted, but by no means is this an exhaustive list, additional suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ or DR 500M? What's the difference?)
Alvarez MD60
Yamaha FG750S
Seagull S6

What else should I be looking at in this price-range? i'm fairly set on a pure acoustic rather than an acoustic/electric.
Looks like a fair list. I'd check out Breedlove too. All the Breedlove's I have played have been fantastic.
Basically I'd play everything in your price range (I always play stuff below and above my price range too, gives you good reference points) with my main focus being on those guitars you listed. But who knows, you might pick something up that you hadn't considered and fall in love.
i have the Yamaha fg750s, I really like it. got it for a little over $300.
messed around with a couple Masterbilt at GC, almost bought one. still might, haha.
Bump,

So after much deliberating, I finally got to try a masterbilt last night. I went to my local GC and played the AJ500M and the AJ-500RE (esonic2 electronics, $450 and $700 guitars respectively). I also played the Seagull 25th anniversary A/E guitar i think from the entourage series at a local luthier shop and was quite impressed. As you can see, I've since changed my tune, the acoustic/electric sounded very comparable to the pure acoustic, and the added allure of possible gigging and playing into Garage Band is pretty tempting.

If you guys had to choose between the Epiphone or the Seagull, what would you do? I think the luthier said he'd throw in the trick case and knock off 75 dollars off it if I got the seagull, originally a 600 dollar guitar i think.

Any input is much appreciated.
I'm assuming the 25th anniversary is the flamed maple. I have one at home and another on order from Long & Mcquade(big chain in canada). The quality of the seagull is undeniable. The sound, however, is not for me. it's too bright for my liking.

When it comes down to choosing between two good guitars like the seagull and epiphone, just let your ears choose the guitar instead of what we think. Everyone is biased to their own preferences, so take that into consideration.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Captivate, if you don't like the sound of Seagulls, why do you have one at home and another on order?

For all that money you could have bought something great that you really like.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
It's my brother's guitar, so I basically play it whenever. The sound on this particular model isnt for me. The flamed maple is too bright for my liking. The cedar topped Seagulls are a bit more to my preference, but still not my top choice.

Anyway, he put a down payment on the guitar at one store and then when I was buying my martin at another store, he saw it on the floor and it was $100 more expensive than what he had already ordered. So... he asked them to price match(which they did) and took it home right away. The one on order is supposed to come in August or something, so hes going to sell that one for the suggested retail price and make a profit.
Equipment:

Ok gotcha.

Thats the great thing about local stores. Even if you find a guitar at a better price somewhere else or online, most stores usually price match. So you get a good price and quality service.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I hear you; unfortunately the main problem with identifying a good sound is that the two guitars are only at two separate places and I haven't been able to play them both side by side. I really don't think I'd go wrong with either purchase though...the Asian in me just wants to go for the better deal in the Seagull...GC seems to kind of price gouge me a little bit.
Hmm... that is indeed a problem that many face. What I would do is play each guitar for an hour, one after the other. Whichever I feel like I enjoy more I'll go with. Also, ask to see what they'll throw in. It's not always about getting the best deal. Trust me, I know that urge to be asian, but fight that little yellow man inside you like a white man and start clubbing him with a nine iron. A guitar is such a personal thing that if you base your decision on the best deal then you may end up choosing the wrong one. But of course, the better deal could be the right one.
Equipment:

check out the alvarez PD-80SC. Easily one of the nicest acoustics ive ever played and its only like 550 i think.
I think I'm going with the Epiphone. Any recommendations on where I should buy it from? Maybe this is a stupid question seeing as the guitar is equally priced at musicians friend and comparable sites and GC itself, but just wanted to get this right, it's my birthday gift =D
You probably wont get a lower price than whats on musiciansfriend. They pretty much sell for the lowest advertised price.
Equipment:

i strongly recommend the masterbilt .. im asian too and the guitar is made in china so get it .. lol im just joking .. but i tried both and i personally perfer either the aj or dr .. but alot of people on here perfer the seagull