I've been playing for about 6 years now but only about 2 seriously. I decided a couple of months ago to get serious and learn theory and proper technique.

I've been doing great memorizing the fretboard and learning scales and such. And I'm working on finger strength and different picking techniques.

But I find my self getting hung up sometimes because in some situations I can't figure out which fingers to use.

Sometimes it's obvious which finger to hammer or pull with and sometimes it's obvious which fingers to use when playing a scale.

Other times I have no idea what the "right" thing to do is. I think this is the biggest thing preventing me from progressing further.

What are the rules that I should be following?

Are there any good lessons or sites?
I usually follow the one finger per fret rule. Is your pinky trained well? Because that decides a lot. My fingering technique changed drastically after I started using my pinky frequently. I actually had to relearn some peices because my pinky would naturally want to fret a note that I fretted with other fingers, which was a bit of an inconvenience and my fingers got all tangled up . Try to use your pinky as much as possible.. That doesn't really help lol.
My pinky is getting stronger. I'm in the same boat as you...I've had to relearn a lot after it got strong enough to use consistently.

I tend to base a lot of my fingering off of the way I play chromatic scales.

Index to middle for half steps.....Index to ring for whole steps.....Index to pinky for any interval more than that.

I'd really like to hear what some more people think.

Are there any rules that are set in stone? I just want to stop second guessing my own technique and know that I'm doing it correctly.
Quote by yearzero
Are there any rules that are set in stone? I just want to stop second guessing my own technique and know that I'm doing it correctly.

For technique, look in the "Shred" and "Advanced Technique" forums.

For theory, try my signature.

Remember, theory is just a theory. While the standard guidelines often sound good, they are no rigid rules and they may be broken at your discretion. However, when naming something, there are rules. I'll give an example. A Gm scale ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT contain an A# note, ever! It must be written G A Bb C D Eb F. This is because, in a standard Western scale, which you will deal with until you know enough to know what you're doing in Eastern music, each letter is represented exactly once. If you used A# rather than Bb, the scale would read G A A# and this violates the rule.
If i play towards the nut...I usually play the root note with my pinky
If i play towards the bridge, I usually usually play the root with my index.

The patterns makes criss cross or checker sort of.
Thanks for all the help. I'll see if the people in advanced techniques can help.

Oh and thanks for the refresher course banggoodcharlote....no worries I have your theory link bookmarked
oh sh*t

I'm sorry.....

wow that drastically alters the meaning of your name LMAO
Quote by yearzero
oh sh*t

I'm sorry.....

wow that drastically alters the meaning of your name LMAO

lol
Freudian slip much?