It'll be a year or two before I could finally afford a JCM 800, so would a blues JR. with a tubesreamer get me the same type of overdriven EVH/Slash tones?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Not really. Look into these pedals for the Marshall in a box sound:
Roughly in order of increasing awesomeness:
Toadworks Mr. Ed
HAO Rust Driver
MI Audio crunch box
EH English Muff'n
Zvex Box of Rock
Lovepedal Purple Plexi
Man I wouldn't settle for something you won't like as much. Don't buy a brand new JCM800, they aren't the classic amp you know and love.

Try to find a used older one, should run you between $600-$900 I think and they're much better than the new ones. And, its not far off the budget of a new TS808 and Blues Jr.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
You can't make a Marshall out of a Fender, and vice versa. A very good amp for your budget would be something like an old Crate VC6 series, which has a Fendery first channel, and a Marshall style second. The VC5 series have a great Marshall crunch to them too. Newer options include the Peavey Windsor Studio (which is a reliability question mark being new and MIC) or some kind of Traynor (which are out of your budget). You can do one of two things. Buy a Marshall alternative like a Peavey, Traynor, or Crate, or save and get a distortion pedal to keep you happy until you can buy a JCM800.
I would be getting a used Marshall. And it might be just another year if I sacrificed my b-day and x-mas, plus my own saved cash.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by CJRocker
You can't make a Marshall out of a Fender, and vice versa. A very good amp for your budget would be something like an old Crate VC6 series, which has a Fendery first channel, and a Marshall style second. The VC5 series have a great Marshall crunch to them too. Newer options include the Peavey Windsor Studio (which is a reliability question mark being new and MIC) or some kind of Traynor (which are out of your budget). You can do one of two things. Buy a Marshall alternative like a Peavey, Traynor, or Crate, or save and get a distortion pedal to keep you happy until you can buy a JCM800.

i bet i can make a 59 fender bassman sound EXACTLY like a marshall.
haha, get it?

but for the most part your right. you should just save up your money and then buy an older used JCM800
^you bet wrong!

Marshall tried to copy the bassman with the bluesbreaker but he made a couple mistakes. The speakers of the bluesbreaker were out of phase, the power transformers and output transformers were more rugged, the cap leading into the phase inverter was the value on the schematic rather than the value fender actually used, and the size, shape, and material the chassis were made from were different which also changed tone. Later marshalls use chasis that were made of steel rather than aluminum (like fender) but marshall went on to change the tone stack, and use different tubes which made the later marshalls so they sound very little like the eary marshalls that used 5881 tubes and had a fender tweed layout.

TS, You can't make the Blues Jr sound exactly like a marshall but you can get it close if you have $15, some time, and you are brave enough to modify your amp. For a little bit more money you could pay an amp tech to do it and they shouldn't charge you too much if you supply the parts and tell them where you want them to go.

The resistors you put in need to be 1/2 watt.
The capacitors should be mallroy rated for 400 volts
Mallroy doesn't make 500pF caps which means you need a silver mica cap or ceramic disk cap.

Here are the parts you would need to change

Change R6 from 100K to 56K
Change C 25 from 250pF to 500pF
Change C19 from .033uF to.1uF
Change C6 from .01 to .022uF
Change C8 from .022 to .1uF
Change C9 from .022 to .1uF

Remember, if you don't know what you are doing, then you can kill yourself working on amps so it's not something just anybody should do. Getting a tech to do this mod for you won't cost that much as long as you know exactly what you want them to do.

By performing this mod it'll give you the same frequency responce as many the early marshall amps but the distortion will still be chunckier. A tube screamer will help smooth that out which could leave you so happy that you might not want a new amp after all.

I have used this mod myself with great success.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 19, 2008,
never happen.. just turn up and play loud
(i think evh used fender bassmans occaisionally pre huge fame)
Shut up and play your guitar!
I know this is a ridiculously old thread, but I've been looking all over the internet for something that did a mod that mimicked the bassman to jtm45 only on a blues jr. Corduroy, do you still have that amp?