yeah still confused

Which is the correct position of the E major scale? (Bottom to Top)
2-4-5
2-4-5
1-2-4
1-3-5
0-2-4
0-2-4

or

|---------------------------------------------0--2--4------
|---------------------------------------2--4---------------
|------------------------------1--2--4---------------------
|---------------------1--2--4------------------------------
|------------0--2--4---------------------------------------
|------2--4--------------------------------------------
0-2-4

Also what is the major scale without a key?
alright i'll answer
shnaps i own sorta:-steinberger spirit
-ol' samick strat replica
-harmony acoustic of some sort
-ibanez pro bass

amps:-2 micro cubes
-peavey rage 158
-gorilla somethin
-ol' danelectro
-crate bass amp
the major scale is made up of w-w-h-w-w-w-h so the E Major Scale would be E-Fs-Gs-A-B-Cs-Ds-E if you know the fretboard just improve along those lines
-ibanez pro bass

-peavey rage 158
-gorilla somethin
-ol' danelectro
-crate bass amp
juh get that? the s after the letter means sharp btw if you didn't catch my drift
-ibanez pro bass

-peavey rage 158
-gorilla somethin
-ol' danelectro
-crate bass amp
Here, I'll give a little mini lesson thing.

To find the major scale, use this formula. Whole whole half, whole whole whole half.

Now, this is how whole and half steps work.

A-B Whole Step
C-D Whole Step
D-E Whole Step
F-G Whole Step.

Now, If you noticed I didn't do B to C and E to F.

If we refer to a fret board, All the whole steps I mentioned would be 2 frets. But from B to C and E to F, they are only half steps so that's one fret.

For simplicity I'll give the example of a C major scale.

Using the formula I gave you at the top, we start on the root note which is of course C.

A whole step from C is D. Whole step from D and and E. Then a Half step to F. Then Whole step to G. Whole step to A. Whole step to B, half to C.

C D E F G A B C. Then, You find those notes on the fretboard and try to make them as closely as possible.

Of course, It's easier to have the certain shapes given to you and memorize them and always be think of them as the way I just explained. Because you need to remember that scales are not just shapes. I can play C major scale anyway I want as long as I'm hitting the notes in the scale.

Btw, so you dont get confused. E# and B# exist.
Quote by nin3donian
Thanks Ze Metal

Is there such a thing as the Major scale without a key?

Not that I know of, there could be but it doesnt make much sense. I guess a picture of a shape could be called that but, it's kind of an oxymoron.

Why do you ask?
I was looking at a diagram and it had no key, so I wasnt sure.

How fast should you be able to play scales? Does it matter or are they just good for theory?
Where was this diagram, I may be able to help you or be able to find an easy key for you to work with while you learn the major scale.

Also, It doesn't matter. Depends what music you like, if you like rock or metal you have no use for getting the major scale extremely fast. However, you should know it very very well. For theory it's pretty much needed.
It sounds like the diagram was just a shape diagram, without a key noted to imply that it's supposed to be moved around to the desired key.

I hope that helps.

Also, you may wanna do what I'm doing for remembering scales/notes. I will pick the major scale in a random key and find/play each note in order, but I'll find that note on every single string.

C Major Ex: The C note is on 6th string 8th fret, 5th string 3rd fret....etc.
The D note is on the 6th string 10th fret, 5th string 5th fret...etc.

It's working great so far, it takes me roughly 1-2 second(s) to find any note on any string.
Quote by OsokDracul
It sounds like the diagram was just a shape diagram, without a key noted to imply that it's supposed to be moved around to the desired key.

I hope that helps.

Also, you may wanna do what I'm doing for remembering scales/notes. I will pick the major scale in a random key and find/play each note in order, but I'll find that note on every single string.

C Major Ex: The C note is on 6th string 8th fret, 5th string 3rd fret....etc.
The D note is on the 6th string 10th fret, 5th string 5th fret...etc.

It's working great so far, it takes me roughly 1-2 second(s) to find any note on any string.

Sounds like a method I should of used. Two birds with one stone.
Nin3, I forgot to tell you this but the scale pictures you're looking at have a root note specified. What you do it move that specified note onto the key you want. Then play that scale just like you see it.