Should I do it?

I've got several reasons to believe that I should. I love big frets, I love to bend, and I love Yngwie Malmsteen. So should I?

The guitar I'm thinking of doing it to has really old worn out frets, though, and they're far too small for my taste. Should I replace the frets before scalloping, or after? Also, how should I make sure each "scallop" is the same size? Should I do any other modifications while I'm at it? This guitar has a locking nut, so I'm thinking of getting that fixed, so that my tremolo will stay in tune better.

If you want pictures, I'll post them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Definately re-fret before you scallop, and as for making sure they are all same depth measure about 3/32 from the edge and draw a straight line all the way down the board and use a round file and sand paper to do it.

Bass-man
I've decided against scalloping that particular guitar, as it has sentimental value as being the first guitar I ever bought from a pawn shop. I just played it a while ago, and it plays much better than I remember.

I do have a project guitar that I could do it to, with frets in much better condition. I think I might make it into a YJM replica of his olympic white strat with the rosewood fretboard.

Sounds like a project.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
You may want to start with a half-round rasp and get it to just above the desired depth, then get some 300 grit sandpaper and smooth it out, then move on to a higher grit, like 600.