So I'm debating on what type to get, how much to spend, all types of doubts. What do you guys think of the Cold Heat thing that they advertise on TV? I doubt it would work that well but I've been known to be wrong.

What about adjustable temp ones? I don't really need to do much soldering work but I would like to start doing more. Good idea? No?

I'm just really cornfused with all the options out there.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
the only reason you would need the cold heat ones, or butane ones is if you are soldering in an akward place that does not have an electrical outlet near by...

for guitar electronics I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks and getting a weller. these are usually higher quality...

as for the watts i would recommend a 25-30 watts. you could get away with a 15 if your worried about frying your electrical parts, but I personally don't like the 15 watt ones. Once you can make a good solder joint it should only take a few seconds, and a higher wattage (like 25 or 30) gets the job done quick and effectively

my two cents
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
the cold heat irons are great but if you're not careful they can put current into a circuit

i fried an LED once

EDIT: i agree... get a 25 - 30W iron... doesn't have to be fancy
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
I have a cold-heat soldering thingy... doesn't work as well as a conventional iron IMO.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
the only reason you would need the cold heat ones, or butane ones is if you are soldering in an akward place that does not have an electrical outlet near by...

for guitar electronics I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks and getting a weller. these are usually higher quality...

as for the watts i would recommend a 25-30 watts. you could get away with a 15 if your worried about frying your electrical parts, but I personally don't like the 15 watt ones. Once you can make a good solder joint it should only take a few seconds, and a higher wattage (like 25 or 30) gets the job done quick and effectively

my two cents

Does the Cold Heat function well. I just don't think it would be all that good. I don't know...I'm probably going to go out to my local Harbor Freight and see what they have. They had a bunch of decently low wattage ones last time I went.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Read my post

I found it to be unsatisfactory. I got it for my dad for xmas or something... didn't solder worth damn.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
"Decently low wattage"?

Just remember, more watts = more power dissipated = more heat
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
Well Harbor Freight advertises a 180W soldering gun and that is REALLY overkill. What I mean by decently low is not overkill. Probably about 30-40W.
Quote by Øttər
Read my post

I found it to be unsatisfactory. I got it for my dad for xmas or something... didn't solder worth damn.

Yeah...I replied without refreshing for a while and didn't see it. Oops. Well I know not to get one of those now. Thanks
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
some people like higher wattage soldering irons like 30-40 watts, but i personally would only recommend that if your experienced with soldering circuits. A 25 watt soldering iron produces plenty of heat to get the job done quickly, but not as much as a 40 watt so you have to worry about frying your components.

as for the cold heat ones, i've never used them, nor do I want to. they seem like they might be inconsistent. my 25 watt weller does the job fine for me hah
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial