I've been playing for a few months learned a fair amount of chords and songs. I'm currently kind of struck with the idea of scales. I'm confused on which are good to learn and maybe some theory behind them. I haven't learned any guitar theory so recommendations on that are also much appreciated. Thanks.
learn all your pentatonics, they will help you in your soloing, its the building blocks from everything from the bluse to metal and everything in between
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
I would definitely learn the Major (Do-Re-Mi) Scale first like :-D said
Once happy with that learn the Pentatonics like Opethfan1 said.

The link below might be helpful.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/scales.php

I still practice both to increase my speed on the neck and mess around with Pentatonics to jam along with stuff.
I started with the A minor Pentatonic scale... it's what was recommended to me... one recent magazine that had a feature on scales said if readers only learned one scale, it should be this one. I know others recommend the Major scale instead.
What keys should I learn these in and what variations (or all). I'm just looking on chordbook.com for them.
Well the pentatonic can be shifted all up and down the neck because it contains the same intervals that compose it in different keys. Learn the minor and all the inversions and you should be alright.
Quote by ruiner999
Well the pentatonic can be shifted all up and down the neck because it contains the same intervals that compose it in different keys. Learn the minor and all the inversions and you should be alright.

That applies for any scale.

The major scale HAS to come first if you're serious about this because it;s the point of reference for everything else. Might as well start with C, seeing as books tend to like it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Major scale is more important to musicians then pentatonics.

Pentatonics are second.