I have some money to burn for guitar gear, and my current setup is a Marshall MG30DFX (utter crap), a Gibson Faded LP (somewhat below average), and a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff pedal (the only thing making my tone bearable).

So, I need to pimp my gear up. I have around $1,100. I was thinking of either just buying a nice new guitar and keeping the amp setup for a bit longer, or getting a slightly cheaper guitar and buy a new amp with the saved money. If I take the first route, I think I am going to get this nice shiny Ibanez RG: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2620CBK-Electric-Guitar?sku=517964

Or maybe this Ibanez S series: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S2170SE-Electric-Guitar?sku=512500

If I take the second option, however, I might get this Ibanez Prestige: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738
And a Peavey Envoy: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481333

I mainly play progressive metal, thrash, and shred (along the likes of Dream Theater, Megadeth, and Yngwie Malmsteen).
The Peavey amp is barely a step up. Buy a nice amp, your guitar is fine.

Something like a Peavey 5150 or JSX, Mesa F-50, DC-5 or Rect-O-Verb would be a much better investment. You can get all of those under $1000 used and if you find a good enough deal on one you could buy something like a used Ibanez RG1570.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
buy a peavey valking and maybve an overdrive. that'll be perfect for your

comes to like 500$ and buy a 600 dollar guitar

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

save ALL you're money, don't waste it on a new guitar (dude your guitar is way above average)
get either a 6505, or cheaper a valveking, both good for really hard metal
only thing is the 6505 has **** cleans
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The amp would be for home use, but I still want a nice tone, so I'm trying to go with a tube amp. So if it is for home use/ small gigs, would the Peavey ValveKing 112 work nicely? And if I did get that, my guitar options would become much more limited...
Dude, if you're unhappy with that LP, just switch the pickups for like, 200
Then get a new amp and an OD pedal

You're good to go
I've actually been thinking of selling the Les Paul on eBay or something to help fund this endeavor. How much do you think I could get for it, considering that it is in good shape?

The main reason I am contemplating this is that I have fallen for the neck and tone of Ibanez guitars... the LP neck is a bit too thick for my liking.
your guitars fine, the amp is crap
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
i would get a Peavey Valveking 100 head and maybe a marshall 2x12" extension cab. that is about $850. and if you sell your amp and guitar (im just rounding the total sale to $600, chances are it would be way higher) you can also get an ibanez. i would have to suggest the RGR1570.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MC212-130W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-103926655-i1173584.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head-104003231-i1145525.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGR1570-Electric-Guitar-514538-i1323526.gc
Most of your budget does need to go towards the amp, if you can live with your guitar. If not, like you said, try to get every penny out of the guitar and replace it with something bearable.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
okay dude don't settle for a really sick guitar, but really average, cheap tube amp
get a 6505 or something high quality
spend tons more on the amp
than deal with the guitar later
the amps matters so much more its unbelievable
(in sound that is)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Don't tell him to keep a guitar he dosn't like the feel and playability of, guys.

I like the idea of a 6505. Or 5150. Who's cleans are NOT complete crap, you bloody bandwagoners.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Don't tell him to keep a guitar he dosn't like the feel and playability of, guys.

I like the idea of a 6505. Or 5150. Who's cleans are NOT complete crap, you bloody bandwagoners.

Thank you! SOMEBODY agrees with me...

I'd say hit up ebay, find yourself a used 5150. Max price would be about 650 bucks for the 212 combo, plus shipping. Then spend the rest on a guitar.

The cleans DON'T suck. I will give everyone this: they aren't Fender cleans. However, this thing is by NO means a blues amp. That's why the cleans aren't the same.
yeah all in favor of a 6505, than sell the les paul and save more maybe for the ibanez
say "I"
or just +1 it lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
yeah all in favor of a 6505, than sell the les paul and save more maybe for the ibanez
say "I"
or just +1 it lol

+1

But like I said, if he hits up ebay for the 5150 and pays about 725 in total, he should have about 375 left. He sells the Les Paul and MG, and the Muff, he may be able to buy the Prestige right off, if not then a lot sooner than if he got everything new.
i agree about the guitar part, if he is uncomfortable with the paul then he can switch it out for an ibanez, though the paul is mostly likely plenty good enough. another thought for equipment is an orange tiny terror, very sweet little amp that i personally love. you can also pick up a cab from avatar for about 400 USD and you can pick speakers(i recommend a V30 and a G12H-30).

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

~550 orange tiny terror
~400 avatar 2x12
~800 for ibanez RGR1570
~1750
if you sell the paul you might get about 1000 or so i guess, dunno. this would be one pretty sweet sounding setup.

if you have enough for pedals, buy something like a fulltone, or zvex, keeley, analog man, or addrock distortion, overdrive or boost pedal(depending on tastes) and a wah pedal, this'll cost about 400 more depending on what you get. it is pretty bare bones, but it is about all you need for a while.
A 5150 would probably be last on my list for what he wants though.

For shred he needs something smoother sounding and with that, you can usually find good cleans. Any amp I mentioned in my first post would be better for what he wants (imo), excluding the 5150.

He might not like his current guitar, but he can spend all his current budget on an amp, then sell his guitar and whatever else and buy something different. That way, he has the best rig he can get for his cash instead of cheaping out on an amp and getting a really nice guitar that will still sound horrible through the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^I agree with your process of nailing down a good amp before he focuses on the guitar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I agree with your process of nailing down a good amp before he focuses on the guitar.

I agree with TNfootballfan62. I would add that while he isn't crazy about the guitar I wouldn't recommend selling it. It is a decent guitar and he could regret it later. But I as well am a fan of Ibanez necks, tele necks too.
I've been leaning more and more on the Peavey ValveKing (the 112). The size suits my needs perfectly.

The only thing is that my Marshall MG was a christmas present...
from my mom...
I'm afraid if I ask her for a new amp so soon, she will have my head. She really thought it would make me happy (which it did... from the time I opened it until the time I first played it. Yikes.)
Now I'm starting to think about a Carvin guitar. They seem very nice, and if I just get a new guitar and no new amp (I can live with the MG30DFX for a little while longer, I guess), I can get it pretty tricked out with a OFR and a nice finish. Except I have never played one, and probably can't unless I order one. Is the neck like the Prestige neck, for those who have played Carvin?
too bad it won't sound any different than your current guitar.
the amp is like 80% of your tone.
i play a $300 Schecter through a 5150 and i get plenty of compliments.
if you really can't get a new amp just save, a new guitar won't do much.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Someone18
Now I'm starting to think about a Carvin guitar. They seem very nice, and if I just get a new guitar and no new amp (I can live with the MG30DFX for a little while longer, I guess), I can get it pretty tricked out with a OFR and a nice finish. Except I have never played one, and probably can't unless I order one. Is the neck like the Prestige neck, for those who have played Carvin?

I hate when people get on here, and ask for suggestions and help, but don't listen. Get a nice amp, play your les paul through it to see if you like it. If you don't, then sell your les paul for about 1000, and get a nice guitar. There you go, a nice guitar and a nice amp.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
A good option is the Blackheart tube amps. 300 bucks for the Combo and its pretty good.

With the rest of the money you can sell ure guitar, buy some effects and a new guitar if you want.
Hey also I would recommend looking used/places trying to clear older models and small name companies. I just got a Mesa F-30 used for $400 bucks (it took me like 3 months of searching to finally find the deal I wanted but it was worth it) and like 2 months ago just got a Fernandes Monterey Deluxe (the hardware and specs easily beat low end Gibson/Fenders/you name it) for $550 brand new (it's a 2006 model they where trying to clear and if I had any sense I could have got one on craigslist used for like $400ish) Thats about $1900 worth of gear at 1/2 the price. Look around for deals and don't jump the gun and just buy something for the sake of buying something. You'll regret it later (like when I bought my first guitar). Also do research yourself and read lots of reviews (google it) and most importantly try it out yourself! Good luck in your search for new gear!
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.