I am in a band, and the other guitarist sounds louder than me. I have a Peavey XXX 40W 112 and he has a Marshall DSL50 50W Head with a 212 cab. I am cranked all the way up and he is only cranked half way. Would an extension cab make me sound almost as loud as him? That way I would have 2 speakers like him.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
Yes. Adding speakers is about all you can do at this point.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Make sure you get a speaker with a high sensitivity. That will influence volume more than anything.
Quote by neon10th
I am in a band, and the other guitarist sounds louder than me. I have a Peavey XXX 40W 112 and he has a Marshall DSL50 50W Head with a 212 cab. I am cranked all the way up and he is only cranked half way. Would an extension cab make me sound almost as loud as him? That way I would have 2 speakers like him.

He is definitely pushing more air than you with 2 speakers. Although an extension 1x12 won't help a whole lot in my opinion because they don't have nearly the low end of 2x12 or 4x12's. You may need to look into a 2x12 or a volume boost. Or if you feel you aren't nearly as loud as you should be, power tubes could be bad.

Quote by Eminored
Nah. Tubes vs. Solidstates. There's a sticky on this forum about amps, go and read a little.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114

The Peavey XXX is a tube amp, go and read a little.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Mod it so it goes to 11.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Eminored
Nah. Tubes vs. Solidstates. There's a sticky on this forum about amps, go and read a little.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114

You could increase your mids a bit and try to cut through, but chances are, you're not gonna cut it.

I fail to understand what tube v. SS has to do with this situation?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by rwalby9
He is definitely pushing more air than you with 2 speakers. Although an extension 1x12 won't help a whole lot in my opinion because they don't have nearly the low end of 2x12 or 4x12's. You may need to look into a 2x12 or a volume boost.

Well, since the combo already has a 1x12 in it, if I add a 1x12 extension, I would theoretically have 2 speakers, like a 2x12. If I add a 2x12 extension, that would be 3 speakers, like a 3x12. You know what I'm saying?

Edit: I found something out. I recently bought this amp, and it has the original Peavye XXX Sheffield speaker in it. It has a sensitivity rating of 97.8 dB. The speaker I want to swap for it is a Celestion G12H30, which has a sensitivity rating of 100 dB. Would that help much?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at May 18, 2008,
When you use an extension cab the stock speaker usually shuts off. So, adding a 2x12 will not make you have 3x12, just a 2x12
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Iceman 420
Are you scooping your mids?

Yeah, I do. When I was practicing, I found that upping my mids makes my amp louder, especially because my EQ on the Ultra channel of my amp has an active EQ. The thing is, my friend's settings are as follows: Bass: 10, Mid: 0, Treble: 10, Presence: 10 (I know, he doesn't know how to EQ an amp). He scoops his mids two, but his amp does not scoop as much as mine, and he still sounds louder.

Quote by Kevin Saale
When you use an extension cab the stock speaker usually shuts off. So, adding a 2x12 will not make you have 3x12, just a 2x12

Seriously? I thought it extends the sound. I am pretty sure the only time the stock speaker shuts of is if you use a line out, not a speaker out, and my amp doesn't have a line out.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at May 18, 2008,
Quote by neon10th
Yeah, I do. When I was practicing, I found that upping my mids makes my amp louder, especially because my EQ on the Ultra channel of my amp has an active EQ. The thing is, my friend's settings are as follows: Bass: 10, Mid: 0, Treble: 10, Presence: 10 (I know, he doesn't know how to EQ an amp). He scoops his mids two, but his amp does not scoop as much as mine, and he still sounds louder.

There's your answer. His mid control is not as potent thus his amp has more mids and is louder. You just need to up your mids. Very simple.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^^Could have something to do with the fact that Marshalls are so middy (is this a word?), anyway. But for one, stop scooping your mids, then also add an extension cab, and you should be able to keep up with him.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Iceman 420
Hmm...Could it be that your tubes might be dying?

I just got the amp a couple weeks ago brand new. I am thinking about a speaker and tube change, then an extra cab. It would be cool to be able to stack my combo on top of an equally sized cab.

I also have another thought: if I elevate my amp onto a counter/table, wouldn't it sound louder, being that the amp would project closer to ear level?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
^I like using my amp with a stand that elevates it a little and tilts it upward. I'm not sure how much it actually increases perceived volume, but that's certainly a cheap fix if it helps.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I heard you lose low-end when doing that though. Is that true?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Honestly, it's been SO long since i've played with a stand like that, i can't recall. I just remember really liking it, haha.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
About using an extension cab, a closed back would help a lot, right?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
how old are your tubes.
really you should be able to pretty much keep up with him
Quote by neon10th
Well, since the combo already has a 1x12 in it, if I add a 1x12 extension, I would theoretically have 2 speakers, like a 2x12. If I add a 2x12 extension, that would be 3 speakers, like a 3x12. You know what I'm saying?

Edit: I found something out. I recently bought this amp, and it has the original Peavye XXX Sheffield speaker in it. It has a sensitivity rating of 97.8 dB. The speaker I want to swap for it is a Celestion G12H30, which has a sensitivity rating of 100 dB. Would that help much?

It wouldn't help very much at all imo. And there is a big difference from a 2x12 to two separate 1x12's. Cab size and construction and all sorts of stuff comes into play. Swapping the speaker to something of a higher wattage but same ohm couldn't hurt. I don't remember if the XXX will shut off the main speaker when you plug an extension cab, but if it does you could get a cab with twice the OHM of the main speaker so it'd divide into the 2x12 equally.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by neon10th
Now I'm confused. Say I get a Celestion G12H30 for my XXX. If I get a 2x12, would I normally want the same speakers as the combo?

Sorry if I confused you. Some combo amps disable the main speaker when you connect a cab, and some don't. And no they wouldn't have to be the same speaker, but they'd need to be the same ohm rating.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Now I'm confused. Say I get a Celestion G12H30 for my XXX. If I get a 2x12, would I normally want the same speakers as the combo?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by rwalby9
Sorry if I confused you. Some combo amps disable the main speaker when you connect a cab, and some don't. And no they wouldn't have to be the same speaker, but they'd need to be the same ohm rating.

I have no clue how the hell your post came up after mine, when I quoted you.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Yeah, your right. That's weird. Anyway thanks for the tips. On a side note, how does a 2x12 with one Vintage 30 and a G12H30 sound?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by neon10th
Yeah, your right. That's weird. Anyway thanks for the tips. On a side note, how does a 2x12 with one Vintage 30 and a G12H30 sound?

I think the G12H is the Greenback, no? Isn't that a 30W greenback and a Vintage 30? They'd probably compliment each other pretty well.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
The G12M is the Greenback. Now, the part where I get mixed up is, what speaker would I put in the combo? If I put a Vintage 30 in the combo, would the Vintage 30's overpower the G12H30? Can someone help me?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
I still think your should just increase your mids.

Volume problem aside...In a band situation, you're both basically taking up the space the bassist has, now. Makes for a bad live mix, IMO.

Anyway, increase your mids, Marshalls are MUCH more rich in mids that your Peavey. His mid control isn't cutting as much as yours.
Thank you for your suggestions. So I don't go off-topic, I'll post another thread on speakers tomorrow.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
BTW, adding an extension cab wouldn't really make that big of a difference in volume. More so just for spreading your sound.
Granted, you are doubling your amount of speakers, but it's not going to be that much louder.
For example, my 40W tube amp with a 2x10" configuration keeps up fine with my co-guitarist's 100W tube halfstack.