Looking for a versatile 212 combo amp with a $1500 limit. The Peavey JSX seems to fit the bill for me. I play everything from Eagles to SRV to Van Halen to Dokken to Greenday to Pink Floyd to the Sound of Music.

I currently use a Peavey Valveking 112 which I've been very impressed with. It was my first tube amp. I've rented many in the past, and played LOTs of SS amps over the years.

I play 90% in my home office, but I'm starting to play "out" again. Usually parking-lot type stuff with the occasional auditorium gig. I play for fun - not the money. The 112 is great, but I need/want a third channel and some sexier tone. I'm tired of using modeling gear. I want real tone.

I play a Jackson SL2H and a custom ES-335 copy for now. I would probably use it for miking or with a pickup on my acoustic as well (Taylor DN-K).

I'm also looking at:

Peavey 6505 (seems a little to metal for my tastes)
Marshall JVM410C ($2500!!)
Mesa Lonestar, Nomad, Roadster (I think they're above my limit)

Anything else I should be looking at?

I like the fender tone, but I don't like being limited to the fender tone. Playing eclectic choices led me to modeling solutions. I've been happy with my Peavey, and can get a good deal.

My requirements are:

Limit $1500 (can stretch for the perfect amp)
Three channels
2x12" speakers. I don't have a good reason for this. I always played 212s when I was younger - I just like the shape I guess.

I know I'll need to add casters since these things are often about 100 pounds. That being said, I'd absolutely consider tone over # of speakers. A nice Mesa Mark IV combo for example would be great and it has only one speaker.

EQ for each channel
All-tube
Good speakers - I can replace them, but then why spend $1500?
Good clean channel
Nice bluesy crunch
Nice creamy high-gain
Wattage - irrelevant (let's say 50+)

It's gotta look good. One of the drawbacks of say the Mesa Lonestar is that it's seems built to look good in a blues club. I prefer more of a generic look that could fit in anywhere. The Mesa Mark IV (without the wicker front) would fit in anywhere. Of course this is last on the list. If someone gave me a Lonestar for $100 I'd play it everywhere and anywhere!

Thanks,

GAD
Honestly I have heard all the amps you tlaking about and i say with out a doubt the Monster your looking for is a Mesa boogie..theyre expensive as F##K...but its for a reason....I own the JVM410 H with the 1960 Lead B cab...Thing is a monster the Combo..is a GREAT Verstaile Tube amp. try it out
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yes - $1500 US.

Carvin: Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can find one to try.
Fender seems to get some hits for reliability - I'll check it out though - thanks!
Boogies: Gotta find them locally. Anyone know if GC actually sells them? They don't show them online, but their listed as a dealer.
Switchblade: It's a tube/modeling amp. I'm done with modeling, but thanks for the recommendation.

GAD
How about a Peavey JSX comob.
3 channels of pure tone .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
how about vox ac30. it wont get high gain, but its very good. I can get a pretty good sound for punk, pop, mid rock to some hard rock, and softer. and it sounds pretty good with an acoustic guitar too...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
orange rocker 30 is most defnitely your best bet

and they look sick

youtube them

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Why would you take looks over sound. The lonestar is one of the best 212 combos out there.Geesh
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Did you even read my post?

Re: looks "Of course this is last on the list."

GAD
Quote by forsaknazrael
Carvin only sells direct, but they have a good return policy, I think.

It's a great amp. One clean channel, and two OD channels, which are the same. But there's enough options where you could turn one OD channel into a blues channel, and the other into a blistering high gain channel.

The V3 beats anything in my mind.

Yes, they only sell direct, but you get a cheaper price and full warranty with it. It's worth it, i have the V3 half stack and it's killer. I would get a combo, but i got such a good deal on this i didnt care.
Orange Rocker 30 Combo specs look awesome and the price is perfect. Youtube looks promising!

AD30TC looks killer though. Think it's worth the additional grand? Might have to find somewhere that sells these...

GAD
You could easily score a used Mesa Mark IV if you're willing to go there.
Definately Mesa Boogie... the Rectoverb is a 1x12 though. Ive been using a Tremoverb for years... its balls ass unreal. 2x12 100w dual rect w/trem and reverb. Built like a tank also. You can find them on ebay for around $1100 - $1400. I added a 2x12 extention cab for larger venues... its heaven.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Thanks all. I ended up finding a killer deal on a Peavey SJX 212 Combo amp on Ebay. Sweetwater was selling a demo. This thing is pristine and I got it for 1/2 the lowest price I found online. All the trappings were still sealed, and the warranty is in my name! I'm stoked.

With all the overdrive capabilities (all sound amazing), the thing that really floors me is the clean channel! Man this thing sounds nice.

I've never had a nice tube amp. I own a Peavey Valveking, which is nice for the price, but the JSX has an active EQ which has also floored me. I've never heard such wonderful tone variations from slight changes in EQ on an amp.

Due to my shoulder healing I can't play my Jackson or ES335 copy for more than a couple of minutes (which is KILLING ME!). I discovered that I CAN play my daughter's Ibanez micro 3/4 scale RG for a while and even THAT sounds fantastic! I swear this little $129 guitar in this amp sounds as good as the ES335 did in the valveking.

I'm sure most of my elation is the fact that I have a nice amp than I've ever had vs. it being this model, but either way right now I'm pretty happy with it. At 98 pounds and me with one arm, it's staying where it is for a while.

I can see why people go nuts over great amps. My eyes have been opened.

GAD
With the money I saved I can go buy some other damed thing I probably don't need!

GAD
Acoustic: [ ]
Electric: [ ][ ]
Amps etc.: [ Peavey JSX 212 ][ ][ Roland Micro Cube ][ Zoom GFX-5 ]
Memories: [ ][ ]
Congrats, that's awesome. I had a Beginner tube amp (A Hot Rod Deluxe I got one before they jumped to 600) for a while. I made the jump to what I'd consider a much more "pro" amp in the mesa f-30 and I'm never looking back.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
why does it have to have 2 speakers?

i would say orange rocker 30

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

ignore my comment didnt completely read the whole thing til now

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by forsaknazrael
Nice man! Always sweet to get great deals.

Random question, what does the "GAD" in your username mean?

It's my initials. Normally I just go by GAD these days. The "LordGAD" thing comes from MANY years ago when I worked on VAX computers. You could enter a description for yourself in the DELNIs (nerd alert!). My user name was GAD. On a whim one day, out of the blue, I wrote "His Eminence, Lord GAD", and a customer saw it who made fun of me publicly forever. For years and years, everyone I knew from that job called me Lord GAD, and then it shortened to GAD.

GAD
Acoustic: [ ]
Electric: [ ][ ]
Amps etc.: [ Peavey JSX 212 ][ ][ Roland Micro Cube ][ Zoom GFX-5 ]
Memories: [ ][ ]