So i've been getting lessons for about 3 yrs now, learning scales, key, etc, what you would normally learn.

My teacher doesn't teach serious theory though, there is a classical teacher at the place i go to, and he knows it all about theory.
My teacher says, i don't need theory because i'm one of those people who just know where to go by ear. But i beg to differ of this because i don't usually know what chords im playing, time sigs, keys etc.

Should i go to the classical bloke? Or just stick with what i got?
He sounds pretty sketchy if he claims you don't need to learn any theory. I would go to the classical guy, unless you reallly dislike classical music.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
well you obviously want to go to the classical bloke, so go to him.

life isnt hard you know
Quote by yawn
There are most certainly not the same thing. They share the same notes, but then again a hamburger and vomit could share the same molecular composition.

Need a laugh?

Quote by GeneralGrim
Lmao. You, sir, just made my year.
Quote by robbo_0013
well you obviously want to go to the classical bloke, so go to him.

life isnt hard you know

Yeah man i feel bad if i stooge him cos he's taught me so much technique and stuff.
I just dont know if i should really get into theory or just keep going the way i am
Quote by grunger
My teacher says, i don't need theory because i'm one of those people who just know where to go by ear.

Isn't ear training also part of theory? Sounds like you need a new teacher.
Go fo neither try to find a guy that is good in the styles you like and that can teach you theory.

I guess I'm really lucky to have my teacher, a french session guitarist. He's been in the business since the early 70s and has basically discovered and mastered every "modern" genre as they arrived. Metal, Fusion, neoclassic you name it. He's still a Jazz and Blues guitarist at heart though.

The man's a beast.
I'm self taught, i've taken a couple years of theory, and not an ounce sunk in. But i do know what chords im playing, from learning how they move, do i know the idividual notes? Nope, but i know what will sound good and what the intervals that will sound good, or bad r dissonant, and blah blah blah

I taught myself all that, you don't need a teacher to tell you

I'd go with who makes you feel comfortable
I find theory much easier when it's taught by a teacher, compared to in a book/on the internet/ in a video, mostly because you can ask questions and they can teach it from your perspective.
he just says you dont really need theory because

HE DOES NOT REALLY KNOW IT WELL HIMSELF TO TEACH IT

get another teacher ASAP

I jumped from 4-5 teachers in my first 2 years of playing cause of their incompetence
theres only one really good teacher ive had so far and he was primarily a jazz guitarist

Theory is a must ONLY if you really take guitar seriously, some people can go without theory ie. Jimi hendrix, but then again he had perfect pitch

learn it all man it wont take you long (depending on how indepth you wanna go), its not calculus now...
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Not everyone NEEDS theory, it depends on your ear relaly, i don't have perfect pitch, but i have a really good sense for playing by ear and tones and pitches, and i don't know any theory, nor have i been taught
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Not everyone NEEDS theory, it depends on your ear relaly, i don't have perfect pitch, but i have a really good sense for playing by ear and tones and pitches, and i don't know any theory, nor have i been taught

ehhhhh..

i said only if you take guitar really seriously, as in you wanna be a session guitarist or asome type of musician as a career, then yes it is almost always necessary

theory is something that almost all professional musicians know , if you dont know it yourself how would you compete?

for some most music programs, post secondary, where im from theory is a requirement

and if you really do wanna learn everything about guitar, Theory is a big part of it

Theory is extremely beneficial to learn for any musician

think about it if you never learned any scales how the hell would you jam?
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
I rarely ever thing about theory when I'm playing or when I'm writing, unless it's for a large ensemble and I have to do a full arrangement, so you may not really need it, you don't need perfect pitch either, just a good sense of relative pitch.

I do know theory though, because I compose and arrange for string quartets and things like that, where knowing theory is essential.

oh and BTW I used to jam without knowing scales (back when I was like 15) all you really need to know is what key you're in, and even then you can do that by ear without knowing what it's called in western theory and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, I don't use keys or scales. The thing is, I use them i jsut don't know i am, i learned guitar based on ear rather than on notes, therefore my hands know what to do, my mind jsut kinda goes, WTF EVER DUDE! If you talk to a lot of big up and coming musicians, theory is goign further and further downhill, i'm not looking to do sessions, as much as i am to be touring and playing my style of music, which isn't based on technicality but intensity, at least on rythem. I do hoever aknoledge the importance of Theory, but i also say that its possible to use it unknowgly with a good ear