the thing i dont get is, if you already understand what fifths are, does it really teach you anything new about them? fifths arent complicated, and thats just a circle of notes going around in fifths.
its nothing special

I disagree, the circle of fifths is not just a way of remembering fifths.

http://home.austin.rr.com/jmjensen/CircleOf5thsFun.html

Also, if you assume each note is a key, you can figure out how many sharps or flats are in that key. C major has none, G has one, D has two, etcetera.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at May 19, 2008,
Quote by J.A.M
Shut yo goddamn mouth, fool! The circle of fifths is NOT just a way of remembering fifths.

http://home.austin.rr.com/jmjensen/CircleOf5thsFun.html

Also, if you assume each note is a key, you can figure out how many sharps or flats are in that key. C major has none, G has one, D has two, etcetera.

howd about u shut yo goddamn mouth and actually understand the guy said he already knew all that information, so in his terms u wouldnt need to learn the circle of fifths, so for him its nothing special

but now he said hes still learning, so yeah use those two links and try to understand them as much as possible
Quote by Martindecorum
howd about u shut yo goddamn mouth and actually understand the guy said he already knew all that information, so in his terms u wouldnt need to learn the circle of fifths, so for him its nothing special

but now he said hes still learning, so yeah use those two links and try to understand them as much as possible

Right, sorry about that, I was being way too rash.

Anyways, I think the Circle Of Fifths is a great for figuring out quickly; if you look at the link I posted you can see for instance that if you look at the key sitting at a right angle from the one you started on, you can find the relative minor.
Call me Batman.
^ +1 the Co5 link that JAM posted is really good and shows how much theory can be learned from the Co5.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle.

The first note of each is a note and that's the order the sharps are added, F C G D A E B.

Then you reverse it:

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father.

Now you have the order which the flats are added, B E A D G C F.

Just an easy way to remember them.