hi
i am at the begining of learning music theory road
but i ve gone a little forward trying figure out some songs scale
about the unforgiven song by metallica (1991 ) i tried to figure out the scale used within and i came to A minor
can some one correct me
and how do you exactly figure the songs scale just by recognizing the intervals ? and progressions?
many thanks
Quote by Martindecorum
but actually most of the song can be done in C, using the augmented 5th scale

LOl smells like Am to me for the most part
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by Martindecorum
but actually most of the song can be done in C, using the augmented 5th scale
Otherwise called the A harmonic minor scale, which is really close to what t/s said.
A minor. Does anyone else think this is Hammet's best solo?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
curiosity had been killing me
i just look at the some tabs of the song mostly fit into A minor
but some notes seems th be out of the scale
for ex at the intro solo there is slide from B(third string ) to G# backward
whats that G# ?
^No it doesnt, it just means its used as an accidental. Harmonic minor means a certain type of progression where i-V7 is used. Leading tones are really common accidentals
Quote by dimebag1d
curiosity had been killing me
i just look at the some tabs of the song mostly fit into A minor
but some notes seems th be out of the scale
for ex at the intro solo there is slide from B(third string ) to G# backward
whats that G# ?
G# is the leading tone of the minor scale, it means the note leads to A really nicely.
Last edited by demonofthenight at May 19, 2008,
Harmonic minor means a certain type of progression where i-V7 is used.
Really? I always though harmonic minor was a scale
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

thanks
i am not that good at theory
about that G# i know that A minor leading tone is G not G# so whats the theory behind raising that G half step to achive better sound here ?
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Really? I always though harmonic minor was a scale
It is...
Yes I know, scale is a group of notes. But most composers use the M7 heaps in minor keys, sure its not technically part of the natural minor scale. But you shouldnt say "Oh theres a G# in what would otherwise be A minor, it must be A harmonic minor." What really defines harmonic minor (and the real purpose for its creation) is the i-V7 progression.

Quote by dimebag1d
about that G# i know that A minor leading tone is G not G# so whats the theory behind raising that G half step to achive better sound here ?
Heres where it gets sort of tricky and stupid, G is a m7 in relation to the A minor. m7's arent leading tones and cant be called leading tones, they're called sub-tonics instead. And I've already explained why the G# is used. Once again, it progresses really nicely to the A.
But most composers use the M7 heaps in minor keys, sure its not technically part of the natural minor scale. But you shouldnt say "Oh theres a G# in what would otherwise be A minor, it must be A harmonic minor.
There's no key of harmonic minor, in a minor key you use natural minor and harmonic minor together. That's how I see it anyway.

What really defines harmonic minor (and the real purpose for its creation) is the i-V7 progression
Surely you mean V7-i?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
There's no key of harmonic minor, in a minor key you use natural minor and harmonic minor together. That's how I see it anyway.
Surely you mean V7-i?
Maybe it goes good both ways. Specifically using the harmonic minor scale means using that sort of progression.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
A minor. Does anyone else think this is Hammet's best solo?

its the song that made me wanna play guitar so i'll go with yes. quite possibly his best solo.
Quote by demonofthenight
Maybe it goes good both ways. Specifically using the harmonic minor scale means using that sort of progression.

No, that's just the usual situation where harmonic minor is applied.
Quote by dimebag1d
thanks
i am not that good at theory

The G# is from 7th note of the A hamonic minor scale when you start the count from A
1,2b3,5,b6,7
i hate to say this...but one song doesnt have to be in one scale...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.