Guitar Wall Hanger

In the next two weeks i will be buying two new guitars (A tanglewood strat and a Jackson King V btw) in addition to my Vintage V100 LP.

If i hang these guitars 24/7, i imagine there will be a fair amount of weight on the necks as obviously the bodys are heavier.

The tanglewood is around 15 years old so im a little weary.... but these hanger would save a lot of space for me.

Advice?

I was thinking about getting the Hercules locking ones, but they're triple the price.
I'm not sure but i thought i've been told they're better for 12 string because of the tension on the neck. I don't think they'd sell them if they were no good for your guitar plus all the shops use them.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Naw they won't damage your guitar in any way (as long as you take care when putting them up, don't want the hangers to come out and treat your guitar to a nice fall)

I've heard wallhangers are the best way to store your instrument, besides hardcases.
the only way they would hurt you guitar is if:

- The user haphazardly installs the wall hanger (it falls off the wall
- The user manages to push the guitar into the wall one too many times
- The user does not put the guitar into the hanger correctly (it twists and falls out)

All of these can be easily avoided, respectfully:

- Use a god damned stud detector, people. They are cheap and easy to obtain. Your fist sucks for this, admit it.
- Just keep it in a low traffic area
- Keep your girl friend from placing your guitar back on the wall.
the locking ones (hercs) are good if you have thin walls and lots of people. less chance of them falling off and hurting your guitar... trains or kids for example...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
like said find a stud.

they are fine. i use them.

so do guitar stores. less chance for them to fall over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by joshua029
the locking ones (hercs) are good if you have thin walls and lots of people. less chance of them falling off and hurting your guitar... trains or kids for example...

The locking ones are a gimmick. My friend lost a 1970's Gibson Flying V that way.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by first_aid

- Use a god damned stud detector, people. They are cheap and easy to obtain. Your fist sucks for this, admit it.
- Just keep it in a low traffic area
- Keep your girl friend from placing your guitar back on the wall.

I cant use a stud detector. Every time I try they just point straight back to ME!!!!!
Quote by irok660
I cant use a stud detector. Every time I try they just point straight back to ME!!!!!

Well arent you funny.

I use them too. They work fine.

Physics determines that the gutars will not be damaged on a wall hanger. The outward curves of your guitar headstock are more than strong enough to support the weight of a whole guitar. Go for it. Most people don't have wall hangers because parents don't wantkids putting holes in the walls etc . but they look way cooler!
^What he said, the neck and the body are together like nobody's business, it won't break it.
Watch your guitar weight.

My Les Paul could hang forever. But a friend of mine got this Kirk Hammet Signature Guitar which suffered from hanging from a headstock hanger. This due to its weight.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
They work fine, but I have read several articles tellin people it's the worst possible way to do it. All the weight is on the weakest part of the guitar.

Matt Bruck of Guitar World, VH tech fame, states that it's the worst way to leave a guitar.

Most guitars will be fine, but every piece of wood is different, and even high end guitars could flex over time, plus just hangin out in the open, can't be good

I have 5k wrapped up in a couple Les Pauls, and I would never
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
like JJ said, if they were bad for guitars - guitar stores wouldn't use them.

i got a locking one just because i have kids.

if you can't find a stud, then i wouldn't do it

;

Guitar stores use them to keep them from gettin tipped over, and to discourage people from playin them. They choose the lesser of 2 evils. Plus the time they are in the store wouldn't even begin to damage it.

Case in point, every mom and pop music store I have been to, that carries high end instruments. keeps them on regular stands.

To the guy above postin about physics, that is just way off.

OK, even if you had really tough balls, would you let somebody hang you upside down from them?

I think it's key to have a second point for the guitar to rest on.
I just picked up 2 Grip Reaper hangers and they work really well. Just make sure you get them in a stud,
fin my experience the tend to work fine with 3 to a side headstocks, but not so well with some fender style headstocks, especially teles.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
the off the wall ones i hav, the yokes bend in, makes it safer for tele styles too.

i contacted the company because i was concerned about the size, but they said they used firged steel just so the arms could be moved in for narrow headstocks. ^

mine seem fine.

oh and for the fella who thinks it's not good for the guitar. i dont know, cause we get so many, "my mom knocked my guitar off my stand", "my little sister fuked up my bridge" and "my dog pissed on my guitar" threads.

as long as you find a stud, should be better off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 7, 2008,
yeah i know they bend but when my friend did it, it was still unstable (I keep all of my guitars in a locking road case, much safer IMO) I could imagine them not being very good for Gibson LPs either, because they are not supposed to be supported by the neck like that.

Last.fm
i dont know if id put an expensive gibby up without something supporting it underneath.

they're heavy and the finish is pretty delicate, but i think if u troll almost any forum with this question, you'll find guys have been wall hanging guitars for years without issue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i dont know if id put an expensive gibby up without something supporting it underneath.

they're heavy and the finish is pretty delicate, but i think if u troll almost any forum with this question, you'll find guys have been wall hanging guitars for years without issue.

well with the LP the worry is less about the finish and more about the neck joint, and hanging it like that would put a lot of unnecessary stress on it.

But yeah I'm sure they usually work fine, I'm just kinda paranoid about stuff like this, which is kind of weird because i beat the **** out of my guitars playing live.

Last.fm
haha, yeah i admit, i've learned not to give a crap.
my guitars have been dented on mic stands and ceiling fans.

i gave up a long time ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah I'm not worried so much about the finish or little dings, I would be more worried about my SGs neck snapping or something, the finish is already beat to hell (damn super thin lacquer finishes)

Last.fm