I know that there are many threads which go on the same topic but....
I just need some honest opinions on some choices which i can make
assume that i have the budget of around $2500 AUS. (I dont and i wish)

1. I buy a Spider Valve 112 combo and run a 412 halfstack with it during gigs
2. I buy a Spider Vavle 212 combo and run a 412 Halfstack with it during gigs
3. I buy a Spider Valve 212 by itself for gigs

Bearing in Mind that they are all pure tube amps(they are not hybrids. If u say that they are hybrids, then ur an idiot) rated at 40w (both).
I play mostly progressive metal/ rock and some jazz fusion. Im influenced by DT, Meshuggah, Opeth, Protest the Hero, Porcupine Tree and Between the Buried and me.

Thanks

P.S: Dont give me other suggestions for other amps cos im dead set on getting these amps (hopefully by the end of this year). I have tried the 112 at Billy Hyde and sounded awesome (though i was playing at about 2 1/2 ).

P.S.S : I am gonna run a Schecter Omen 6 Ex with an FR through a Crybaby and Behringher EQ.
use the 212 for gigs.

or buy the head.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Exclude the Head cos i wanna use the combo by itself for practice cos its too troublesome 2 use a 412 during practice (not to mention overkill loudness)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
3 and borrow a cab from another band when you gig if want to look awesome.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You'll only need the 212.. 40W is plenty loud. If anything, get another 212 cabinet to gig. You won't need an extra 412.

And +1 to Porcupine Tree.. good stuff

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Go for the 212. I don't like the amp, but the 40w one was really loud. You shouldn't need anything else.
I hate to be the one to tell you this but the Spider IS a HYBRID amp. If it was all tube then the preamp section would not be digital. The plain fact of the matter is it is a DIGITAL preamp routed into a TUBE power amp. By all means delude yourself into thinking its a tube amp but you are fooling nobody but yourself.

Please please play this thing A/B with a proper tube amp and realise how sterile it sounds.

I understand that the versitility is what attracts many people to modeling amps buy dammit theres much better out there. Vetta, Flextone even a Pod XT/X3 plugged into the power amp of the spider valve will do better than the Spider Preamp.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
I hate to be the one to tell you this but the Spider IS a HYBRID amp. If it was all tube then the preamp section would not be digital. The plain fact of the matter is it is a DIGITAL preamp routed into a TUBE power amp. By all means delude yourself into thinking its a tube amp but you are fooling nobody but yourself.

Please please play this thing A/B with a proper tube amp and realise how sterile it sounds.

I understand that the versitility is what attracts many people to modeling amps buy dammit theres much better out there. Vetta, Flextone even a Pod XT/X3 plugged into the power amp of the spider valve will do better than the Spider Preamp.

Ever looked at a schematic for a spider valve? Ever SEEN a spider valve? Don't try and act smart when you clearly don't know ****.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Ever looked at a schematic for a spider valve? Ever SEEN a spider valve? Don't try and act smart when you clearly don't know ****.

It's still a modelling amp. Don't try and act smart when you clearly don't know ****.
Quote by Cofflecakes

I have SEEN and PLAYED a spider valve, it was the head through the Line6 cab at my local shop. It sounded digital as heck with any gain settings with obvious software influence. The cleans were ok but the overbearing thing that got to me was this. It sounded just like there was a compressor on all the time, there was just a lack of dynamics when playing softly. When i dug in there was almost a volume spike for a split second when the note sounded. Just wrong to my ears.

Yeah its better than a SS spider but not that much better. This is mainly down to my ears not liking the Spider models. I tried it with my Pod XT in the effect return to compare the power amp to my Atomic and that was a massive improvement but not as nice as my Atomic. Its really hard to put into words. It was just..lacking something. I wish i had the chance to A/B the two in a private setting as it could have been the ambient noise in the shop. Tubes are different too EL84s in the Atomic and 6L6 in the SpiderV.

TS. What other options have you looked at as theres no way you can be so dead set on this thing to spend $2500 without having a serious play with everything in your price range. I certainly wouldn't drop that kind of cash an anything if I wasn't 100% sure i couldn't get something I liked better.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
honestly the spider valve is more than loud enough for gigs. Its completely insane volume-wise. Great amp if you want the variety of sounds imo, but you wouldn't need to run a 4x12 cab with it, the 112 will be loud enough to kill the front few rows on its own i'd imagine.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have the spider valve 112. was going to get a 4 x 12 to run it through but its just stupid. 40w is plenty loud with this amp i havnt turned mine past 1 yet in fear of death... and at most gigs you'll just run the amp through a PA... its a good amp but the high gain channel gets quite muddy.
I'm not cool enough to have a sig...
Quote by Horlicks
It's a modelling tube amp, like the H&K Switchblade

switchblade is not a modeling amp. it has its own hughes and kettner tone, and it dosent run the tubes though a pod or any multi processing unit. most ppl mistaken it for a modeling amp due to its versatility. my spider 3 on the other hand. is clearly a modeling amp.
Last edited by kckyle at May 27, 2008,
Spider Valve IS modelling, not ALL tube.

Its basically taking a full valve power amp section and running some sort of digital preamp such as a POD through it.

Its neither solid state or full tube.

Personally, I quite like it but for the price range you've specified you could always buy a nice full valve amp and some pedals to drive it.
Get a B-52.

/thread.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.