ok so my drummer just bought an electric drumset. we are attempting to begin having quiet practices so here is how we THINK it can be done, but I'm unsure so UG help me.

1.The drums are connected to a mixer, through studio monitors. we have no problem adjusting the volume of the drums and hearing them ect.
Haven't tried it yet but in theory:
2. My 6505+ head has a preamp out slot in the back, can i run that into the mixer as well, and heard through the monitors with no problem? and can I do this without even attaching it to a cab?
3. my bassist has a markbass little mark head that has a line out slot on the back. It is an XLR input, but anyways, can we run that into a mixer, and hear that as well?, no cab as well?
4. then finally can we just level out the volumes to our liking, and hear it all through the monitors?
5. since we are at a low volume, a vocal mic isn't necessary.
I'm gonna try it this sunday, but I wanna see if you guys feel like I have the right mindset for this.

as always, thanks UG!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
What type of mixer is it? Does it have the capability for the channels to be switched between line and mic level? If not, you may want to use some direct boxes between the heads and the board. Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan in theory.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah it does, every channel has the option of using a 1/4 input or xlr input, all with phantom power and has a switch for everything. I don't know what model it is but it is a high end tascam with like 8 channels.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
yeah it does, every channel has the option of using a 1/4 input or xlr input, all with phantom power and has a switch for everything. I don't know what model it is but it is a high end tascam with like 8 channels.

Well, if that switch you refer to is a switch for mic/line level, then just make sure you use line levels for your heads, and anything else you run through it that isn't a mic. You shouldn't need phantom power, though, that's just for things like condenser mics.

Just be careful if it isn't switchable to line input, and you don't use DI's. Because that signal is gonna be HOT coming in to that board, even with the channel's gain all the way down. I had to do a show once where I had to run a single freakin' iPod in to a mixer, but I ran out of DI's. Luckily enough I knew some tricks, but let's just say that even then, that channel's fader was maybe raised a half an inch, if that.

But like I said, sounds like you guys got things going right for a "quiet practice" in theory.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
wouldn't it matter by what cable I'm using though? generally if it is a 1/4 cable i use line, and if it is a XLR I usually use mic......but the bass head only has a XLR so would I still use line anyways or what? or are the cables meaningless and it really means mic=mic and line= everything else (instruments)

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
I would double check the line out on your amp make sure it doesnt need a load (cab etc) coz if it does and there isnt one its gonna frymeltexplodepopkaboom
Shut up and play your guitar!