Everytime i try to slap, i end up hitting the string(s) next to the one I'm aiming for. does anyne have advice to help avoid this?
you wanna pull your arm back and really attack the person with real rage, your slap should work fine, also move your guitar/bass out of the way first if you keep hitting you hand on the strings
you wanna keep your wrists kind of floppy so that when you hit your snare, you sticks bounce right back
ffs people, give the TS some honest answers!! stop posting stupid comments.

sorry jasonbts, i dont play bass, so i cant help you, its just annoying to see people take the piss.
"
Practise. Keep your thumb parallel to the strings, and just go through the slow motion of bouncing the thumb of the strings nice and slowly. Remember you don't need to hit the strings hard at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
try completing the motions like a carpenter does before he hammers a nail, before he actually hits the nail, they may do the motion very slowly, then hit the nail, you should try doing the same thing with your hand, do the motion that would work SLOWLY first, then perform the action, eventually, you won't have to do this, but since you want accuracy, you must eliminate bad habits as soon as possible...
Quote by rougegratton
ffs people, give the TS some honest answers!! stop posting stupid comments.

sorry jasonbts, i dont play bass, so i cant help you, its just annoying to see people take the piss.

Thanks for swing in on you giant e c.ock to the rescue aeaeaeaeaeeeeeeeeeeeeaeaeaw (tarzan style)
Quote by ferretman
you wanna keep your wrists kind of floppy so that when you hit your snare, you sticks bounce right back

o.k. I'm on a drumline so i know what your talking about, but i'm talking about a bass guitar...
Well the way I do it is I mute the other strings with my left hand, then I give the bass a kind of sex slap, but pull back fast so it doesn't dampen the sound. (This is a serious answer, by the way)
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Assuming the strings you keep hitting are the ones lower than the desired one you just wanna work on muting those lower strings with your palm ... pretty much just like regular palm muting. This is really natural if you play finger style with a floating thumb.

Remember to try and keep the only part of your thumb thats actually striking the string to be the knuckle ... least thats how I do it, it seems to stick out a bit more than the rest of the thumb so it makes it easier.

Also, just remember to watch your right hand to keep yourself playing accurate, good times.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
You gotta crawl before you can walk. Get a metronome and set it to a nice leisurely pace. Slap your E string for a bar, then slap your A string for a bar, etc.
As zycho said. Slap is a very techical thing to learn. Start off slow and work your way up. In all honesty if you really want to learn take lessons. It much easier to have someone show you physically than try to explain it in writing. They can tell you exactly what your doing wrong. Or go to You tube. It has videos all over the place for technique and things to practice on.