O.k this may seem stupid. o.k probably stupid but how do you come up with melody you use in your songs. do you listen to other songs and copy or come up with your own.

I try to make my own but that is a slow process. I want mine to be awesome like
Tom The Overlord - Catherine
Daylight Dies - Killswitch Engage

yes I know they don't fit the Genre of Melodic.
You're a shitty musician if you have to steal melodies from other bands.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
No, if you want to be original about it you combine notes in the same scale in random numbers to a random rhythm. Same for composing any time of music. It should be obvious really...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
You're a ****ty musician if you want to be like Killswitch Engage.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru

lol, this too

{ducks from hxc fags with flameshield}
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by dangorironhide
I usually have some kind of awesome tune running through my head, especially when I'm not sitting with my guitar, but I can't sing for **** so even if I did dictaphone it I wouldn't be able to get it again

I can't sing either. It helps as more of a cue, an aide memoire if you will.
Quote by ferretman
sing something and try to see if you can paly that melody on your drums

Uhm.

Did you just pull that statement out of your arse?
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Quote by ferretman

Lol @ melody on drums

Quote by metaldud536
Your an idiot. They barely use breakdowns anymore.

Lol, I was kidding.
I actually like the few Killswitch songs I've heard.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ichimaru

why thank you for gifting us with your knowledge, oh wise one (wanker).

I just hum a tune in my head, and then get it down on guitar by fiddling about. I want to reach a stage where i can just play what i am humming.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Ichimaru

Firstly I'll say I am not a metalcore fan - least of all KSE

and secondly, I'll say you're a ****ty musicians if you can't at least respect other genres which undoubtedly have some musical prowess.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by saxaxe
On a completely unrelated note, I think Im the only person on earth who hates killswitch.
\_O_o_/

No, you're not. To anyone who thinks it makes someone a bad musician to hate a band, you really need to sit down and think. If people didn't dislike other bands, there'd be a huge reduction in the number of unique genres.

I used to be able to respect Killswitch until they started repeating themselves with the same hook.

Quote by metaldud536
No? I've heard all their albums except the first one. Excessive use of breakdowns?

NO

I never said they used excessive use of breakdowns. Pay attention.

Just keep digging the hole.
Quote by trsc
No, you're not. To anyone who thinks it makes someone a bad musician to hate a band, you really need to sit down and think. If people didn't dislike other bands, there'd be a huge reduction in the number of unique genres.

I used to be able to respect Killswitch until they started repeating themselves with the same hook.

Well you don't have to tell us, we don't care, this is not a killswitch thread is it now?
People like you are worse then fanboys.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by trsc

I never said they used excessive use of breakdowns. Pay attention.

Just keep digging the hole.

........My Digglet digs holes for me. I just sit and watch. And with that, I'm off to school!
Quote by soccermom
Well you don't have to tell us, we don't care, this is not a killswitch thread is it now?
People like you are worse then fanboys.

So now I don't have the right to comment on the topic this thread led to?

People like you are worse than Trolls.
ITT: People who don't understand opinions.

You have just as much right to not like the band as much as someone else has to like it.
No ones telling you to like it, and you should be allowed to express your opinion as well.
But you have to accept that other people like it.
Its called an opinion.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Orbit91
You can hate KSE for their lack of talent.

There's a lot of bands out there that lack talent but still make it big or write good songs. They're creative with the amount of talent they DO have. Killswitch used to do that. But like many other bands before them, they started to sound the same without changing much for the better of their own music.
Quote by Hdap101
Firstly I'll say I am not a metalcore fan - least of all KSE

and secondly, I'll say you're a ****ty musicians if you can't at least respect other genres which undoubtedly have some musical prowess.

I do appreciate artists/genres with musical prowess. What does that have to do with KSE or metalcore?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
KSE guitarits are really good. but they use the same catchs all the time. but lay off them there famous and your not. so there donig somthing right
Quote by toolfan88
KSE guitarits are really good. but they use the same catchs all the time. but lay off them there famous and your not. so there donig somthing right

I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by ferretman

ROFLMFAOWTFBBQ X 1000000

Oh dear god, I almost shat myself laughing.

LMFAO.
Quote by metaldud536
How many times do we have to say that music is personal preference. It's like preference for women. So stop arguing over who has talent or who doesn't.

Lol, thats not why the , I agreed with you that music is personal preference.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ez0ph
You're a shitty musician if you have to steal melodies from other bands.

So you have no influences? I'd like to hear your music.

I'm guessing what he meant was drawing from others and altering to make it sound original. Its very common.

Sometimes my main melodies are sampled from other songs and I write music around them, sometimes I write songs completely out of samples (re-appropriation and creativity are the challenges here), sometimes I write the entire song. I don't like to have one approach because when I write different music (jungle, hiphop, house, techno, hardcore etc) I write different ways.
Quote by Ez0ph
Lol, thats not why the , I agreed with you that music is personal preference.

Is it because the famous thing he said? I would conisder it talent when a band can appeal to a large number of people. It's not like it's manufactured pop music.
Quote by MastaBassist10

I'm guessing what he meant was drawing from others and altering to make it sound original. Its very common.

Sometimes my main melodies are sampled from other songs and I write music around them, sometimes I write songs completely out of samples (re-appropriation and creativity are the challenges here), sometimes I write the entire song. I don't like to have one approach because when I write different music (jungle, hiphop, house, techno, hardcore etc) I write different ways.

"listen to other songs and copy"
That doesn't sound like influences, that sounds like plagiarism
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by MastaBassist10

this is what i mean
Quote by Ichimaru

You're a ****ty poster if you want to jump on the hate-hardcore-and-its-subgenres bandwagon.

Anyways, if you want to be in a band, you shouldn't want to sound like anyone else. Just sound like yourself, play what comes naturally.