hey guys i know the mg series is balls but i was just wondering if the cabs were balls too. anyone ever played one without an mg head?
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Quote by Metallicaxp
lol, i posted this same thred yesterday :P

and someone will have posted it some time this week before you

and the week before that

and the week before that

moral of the rant story: use the SEARCH BAR
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
and someone will have posted it some time this week before you

and the week before that

and the week before that

moral of the rant story: use the SEARCH BAR

Lol, true that
Besides the cab wont accept any other head. Thats how MGs work to pull the most crushing distortion ever.
is it okay though to mix and match heads and cabs?
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Quote by strat_7
is it okay though to mix and match heads and cabs?

Yeah, just not with Marshalll MG/AVT products or Line 6 Spider II/III products.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Oh boy.

You guys should actually try and play an MG cab. It's easily the best piece of gear in tha whole line. A guy on this forum once A/B's an MG412 and a 1960A at GC for a couple hours with a number of tube heads, and went home with the MG. For the money, new, the MG is a fine value. That being said, it's hard to buy one new when a used 1960 can get as low as $350 on CL.
I don't remember who said it on UG first but I definently give them credit, even though I don't remember who they are.

MG's = Male Genitals nuff said
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Oh boy.

You guys should actually try and play an MG cab. It's easily the best piece of gear in tha whole line. A guy on this forum once A/B's an MG412 and a 1960A at GC for a couple hours with a number of tube heads, and went home with the MG. For the money, new, the MG is a fine value. That being said, it's hard to buy one new when a used 1960 can get as low as $350 on CL.

the tone is in the MDF, particle board ftw!
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
This is off topic but Erock you sir freakin know a good amp. Splawn nitro forever!
As I don't have a car at the moment, I've been reduced to using an MG412 at practice & at gigs. Why? Because of our space restrictions, and its already at the other guitarists house.

I hate it. Once you go to a good quality cab, even a 1960A, or an Avatar, you'll never want to go back. It's not even worth replacing the speakers in.

I've never heard a VJ, TSL60 (ew) or RH50T sound this bad.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by SmithShred
This is off topic but Erock you sir freakin know a good amp. Splawn nitro forever!

scott makes a great amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Shinozoku
Yeah, just not with Marshalll MG/AVT products or Line 6 Spider II/III products.

oh god... oh no... i just had a horrible vision...

Line 6 spider head through a MG cab or vice versa... the crapness of both rolled into 1 halfstack!!!! AARRRGH!!!!! I want to forget that thought...

though, i must say i have been curious about the MG cabs myself. as the.spine.surfs says they aren't actually that bad for the price, so i might check them out (I won't buy one though. halfstacks are for people who compensate for small things with big things ). its the circuit/components/general tone "shaping" in the MG that sucks, not the speaker/cab.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 19, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
oh god... oh no... i just had a horrible vision...

Line 6 spider head through a MG cab or vice versa... the crapness of both rolled into 1 halfstack!!!! AARRRGH!!!!! I want to forget that thought...

though, i must say i have been curious about the MG cabs myself. as the.spine.surfs says they aren't actually that bad for the price, so i might check them out (I won't buy one though. halfstacks are for people who compensate for small things with big things ). its the circuit/components/general tone "shaping" in the MG that sucks, not the speaker/cab.

they are particle board man, how good do you expect them to be. I know the guy Spine is talking about, Level4 or something like that, he's the only person I know that likes those cabs. The speakers are garbage too.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
they are particle board man, how good do you expect them to be. I know the guy Spine is talking about, Level4 or something like that, he's the only person I know that likes those cabs. The speakers are garbage too.

Particle board or not, they're very sturdy for a $220 cab.

The speakers arn't terribble. Better than the stock speakers in most (newer) Fender amps, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to say the MG412 is a good cab, I'm trying to say that it's a good cab for $220. That being said, I wouldn't want one, (hand made oversized vertical 2x12" FTW) but being stuck with one after falling for an MG100HDFX halfstack isn't such a cruel fate as UG would make it seem.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Particle board or not, they're very sturdy for a $220 cab.

The speakers arn't terribble. Better than the stock speakers in most (newer) Fender amps, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to say the MG412 is a good cab, I'm trying to say that it's a good cab for $220. That being said, I wouldn't want one, (hand made oversized vertical 2x12" FTW) but being stuck with one after falling for an MG100HDFX halfstack isn't such a cruel fate as UG would make it seem.

already having one is one thing, I wouldn't smoke on someone's gear. The guy is asking about them, assuming he's looking to buy something. It's dimensions are smaller than most 4x12, it's made of crap particle board material, and the speakers are terrible IMO. It's a waste of money at $279, you can save another hundred and get something that's actually decent from Avatar or Lopo, with actual Celestion or Eminence speakers. The only reason it can pull in $279 is because of the Marshall name.

BTW, this isn't second hand info I heard from some guy, I actually owned the MG100.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 19, 2008,
It's at least $200 more for a 4x12" from Avatar or Lopo.

Smaller size isn't always a bad thing. Some prefer the ease of transport over the improved tone of a larger cab.

In the end, it's about getting something that's right for you, not for UG. TS, play one. If it's what you need, it's what you need.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
It's at least $200 more for a 4x12" from Avatar or Lopo.

Smaller size isn't always a bad thing. Some prefer the ease of transport over the improved tone of a larger cab.

In the end, it's about getting something that's right for you, not for UG. TS, play one. If it's what you need, it's what you need.

there is absolutely no point in buying that cab over a quality 2x12 if you're talking about ease of transport or tone. He wanted to know if people thought they were balls, and I believe they are. It's my opinion based on using them and knowing what they are made with. Agreed he should play one, but he should also make sure he plays others for comparison, and not be duped by the Marshall name.
amp clips
amp vids