Has anyone ever had this? I think I might have it, because when I play guitar for ages, I get swelling at the base of my thumb. Has anyone else ever had a problem with this due to playing guitar?
Is it your picking hand or fretting hand? If it is your picking hand, try holding your pick a different way or trying a new kind of pick. If it is your fretting hand you could be holding your guitar too tight. If I was you though, I would see a doctor.
Quote by Lance Verinto
Is it your picking hand or fretting hand? If it is your picking hand, try holding your pick a different way or trying a new kind of pick. If it is your fretting hand you could be holding your guitar too tight. If I was you though, I would see a doctor.

Fretting hand. Yeah, I think i do hold the guitar too tight, because it only happens on the acoustic guitar at school, which has a really high action . I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.
Last edited by doubtfull at May 19, 2008,
Ya Man. I've been playing for about 4-5 hours a day for the past 3 years... and i've developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my picking hand.. along with swelling around the nerves in my elbow :S. It really sucks.. but the doctor said the only way to fix it is to stop playing... so i'll deal with the pain.
In the meantime I sleep with a wrist brace on and i stretch A LOT before playing.
how long have you been playing? if this flares only when you play your accoustic it could be cramping or spazing. if thats so it'll go away when you get stronger, till then stop and shake it out and gently streach and warm up before hand.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by doubtfull
Has anyone ever had this? I think I might have it, because when I play guitar for ages, I get swelling at the base of my thumb. Has anyone else ever had a problem with this due to playing guitar?

I am just getting over the EXACT same injury. (I do not take a bunch of anti-inflammatory drugs to cover up symptoms). What I did was take mineral supplements on top of a healthy diet and iced it a lot and stretched of course! Worked great for me...
I used to train to become a professional boxer, and it killed my wrists. Every once in a while I have to wear a wrist brace when I'm not playing(and sometimes while playing >.<.
Carpel/Ulnar Tunnel Sydrome is often compounded by using a computer, get a wrist support or something when you'tre using it and that'll probably make more difference than quitting guitar would.