Greeting ultimate-guitar users.

I'm a casual guitar player who's been using this site as a GREAT learning resource.

Recently, I've spent a little bit of time building an application to let me quickly access "my tabs" from the site.

The application currently allows you to log in and it will retrieve a list of the tabs that you have saved to "my tabs". You can then click on any of the tabs and immediately view the tab.

Download The TabApp here: TabApp

Here is a screen shot: http://tinyurl.com/5876c2
(Invalid img)

I'm envisioning adding several additional features including, but not limited to:
  • the ability to search for and add tabs to 'my tabs'
  • automatically saving tabs for offline viewing
  • connecting to Last.fm to stream the current song
  • connecting to YouTube to find either performances or lessons

Basically, I'm looking to the community to figure out what features might be useful and also find a small group of people who would be interested in helping me test this application.

Respond to this post or drop me an email to bendalton -AT- gmail.

Thanks!
Last edited by bendalton at May 19, 2008,
Looks good.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
A nice idea and all, but in the end, most of us have all of our tabs saved to our PCs, and use either Guitar Pro or PowerTab.

The connectivity between this tab app and last.fm and YouTube is an intriguing idea. With the right implementation, I'd day it could do quite well.

In the end, unless you're going to add midi support (a la GP5 / PowerTab), then I think you're going to have trouble establishing yourself and your software on the market.

Edit: I'd be up for alpha testing though. One question though, is it only for the Mac?
Last edited by saphrax at May 19, 2008,
so what youre saying is that you have basically created 'favorites' in IE?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
so what youre saying is that you have basically created 'favorites' in IE?

Or Firefox for those of us with common sense, morals and decency.

Looks all right though mate, keep plugging away at it and think about MIDI support as the man said.
good idea
you should make that list on the left alphabetical by band/artist name for easier searching
love the last.fm and youtube idea
Dick+strings= owww
I actually stopped using the tabs on this site when I learned to play by ear...

wtf am I doing here anyway then?
Thanks for the response!

I've gone ahead and made the application available for public download and testing. Please keep in mind this is VERY MUCH a work in progress.

It should work on both Mac OS X and Windows. If you have Flash installed, you should be able to just click on this link to download and install the application:

http://www.bendalton.com/TabApp/
Sounds good, the last.fm link sounds peachy too

Edit: Would GP5 files work?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
GP5 files won't work right now, well at least they won't be opened directly in the this application.

I have really appreciated the simplicity of browsing tabs on this web site and just wanted a slightly more straightforward way to do it.

This probably won't fit everyone's needs..

But I'll try to integrate any useful features.
the app's made in adobe air, thus it'll work on any platform that will run air.

edit: didn't see bendalton's post.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Quote by bendalton
Greeting ultimate-guitar users.

I'm a casual guitar player who's been using this site as a GREAT learning resource.

that sir is false
the pit is not a learning resource at all
god i hate the pit

but in all seriousness that actually looks pretty kool im at school right now so ill download it when i get home
"Well you said I might get laid more if I didn't play pokemon... but I decided getting laid more isn't worth not catching them all."

E-married to the Super Fantastical simply_me(:
Oh wow, a Mac application.

Leopard ftw"___"
ΙΓΘΝζΑ
か゚つてへこ
Good program, but it becomes a little bit difficult to add multiple tabs at a time, i have been going through Operation Ivy tabs, i want all of the bass tabs but its taking forrreeeevvvveeerrrr.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by Peice_of_Mind
that sir is false
the pit is not a learning resource at all
god i hate the pit

but in all seriousness that actually looks pretty kool im at school right now so ill download it when i get home

The site consists of more than the pit

cool idea though