Ok, I have an Epi Les Paul, which I bought some pup's for. I havethe 3 humbucker style, and I'm not exactly how it works so I figured I'd ask for help before making any major decisions.

Basically I boguth an EMG 81 and a Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon. Which positions should these go? Also will it be a lot bette if I get the 85, because there will be 1 stock pick up in it.

If I don't have to buy another pick up, which position should the SD be? In the middle position it affects the tone of each position I believe. So is that the way to go? Seymour in the middle, EMG in the bridge?

Oh and I know the SD is a passive and EMG is active. It's possible to get them to work, I just need to buy a part.
Quote by dustyboy316

Oh and I know the SD is a passive and EMG is active. It's possible to get them to work, I just need to buy a part.

Not really - you could just about crowbar it onto a 2 pickup les paul but it's simply not goint to work on a 3-pickup one. Either way, you've also bought pickups that are primarily for bridge use so it's pretty much a lose-lose currently. The best course of action is to bin the EMG and do all passive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really - you could just about crowbar it onto a 2 pickup les paul but it's simply not goint to work on a 3-pickup one.

Are you sure? I'm not doubting you, but there must be a way around it.

This is from the EMG site:

Quote by EMG

Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

So that only applies to the 2 pick up design?

Also is there anyway to turn the 3 pick up into a 2 pick up design and just leave the third pick up in there for looks?
ya the emg was a mistake, too much trouble mefinks. the screamin demon id imagine is designed for the bridge, get a 59 or a jazz for the neck and maybe the same for the the middle
Quote by stephen_rettie
ya the emg was a mistake, too much trouble mefinks. the screamin demon id imagine is designed for the bridge, get a 59 or a jazz for the neck and maybe the same for the the middle

Yah I got them bothfor about 100 so I'm not too worried. The SD was 40 bucks and the EMG was about 60. But if I have to choose between the 2 I'm thinking the EMG.

Not sure though... if there's any way I can get the 2 in I want to do it.
you messed up... stick passive or stick active unless you really wanna do all that for to bridge position pickups
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
you messed up... stick passive or stick active unless you really wanna do all that for to bridge position pickups

Yah I didn't think about it until after. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost or how long it would take in a shop?
Go for an Alnico Pro II in the neck and split them. Most versatile thing you can do. I did it with my Jackson SL2H, and it sounds way better than the '59 PAF.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Go for an Alnico Pro II in the neck and split them. Most versatile thing you can do. I did it with my Jackson SL2H, and it sounds way better than the '59 PAF.

So it's worth it to do that? Put the EMG in bridge and Seymour in the middle then?