What do u think of Keyboards and Synthesizer sounds used in Heavy Metal?

Page 1 of 2
I'm going to found a new band the next days and I wonder if I should get a keyboarder, too.
I think it's also a chance for general discussion about this issue.

Metal rules!

It can either be cool or make everything sound really cheesy.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I don't like metal.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Well, if they actually know how to play keyboard then it's great. But if they are reduced to holding triads the entire time and doing occasional lame ass scalar runs, they're just a joke.

My band has a keyboardist, and he doesn't use synth all the time but he plays through every song with full parts and it sounds great. But like I said, that depends on if the person is good and can write parts that fit the music.
It depends on what type of metal you are playing. It probably wouldn't work with death metal. But keyboards are great for power metal or melodic death.
If you think keys would benefit your music, then get a keys player. They can sound really cool.
Bodom did it. Its pretty cool. But i think having that many people to split a paycheck with is a bad idea.
Quote by corrda00
Bodom did it. Its pretty cool. But i think having that many people to split a paycheck with is a bad idea.

If you want loads of money, don't found a metal bannd. you've got to be damn lucky to live off it.

but yes. you should. they're awesome.
Quote by Seth Shadows
dum, da num, dun dahnahanhanhanahnahhhhh *E5 / D#5* dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn chuggg chuggggg DUN, DAH NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Quote by nine01n
why did the woman cross the road?
who cares, why the hell is she out of the kitchen?
Quote by Minkaro
It's epic.

See Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, and Stratovarius for examples.

+1 keyboards are awesome in metal(depending on the style), also Rhapsody, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, Symphony X and a bunch of others are worth checking out.
Check out my band's song Waging War, and listen to the keyboard in the verse (on my profile)

/advertising

But yeah, I think you should, if you can get a keyboardist. As long as, as someone said, they dont make the music sound cheesy. Keys can make music sound more dark (if that's the sound you're after)
It can sound good, but it's not integral. Most of these bands wouldn't lose out from not having keyboards.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I think if they are done right, it's totally worth it. Plus, with some keyboards, you could always create some sick samples on the computer and load them into it and do some crazy stuff.
Thank you all!
I didn't know that there would be so many answers in so little time.
(Please excuse me if there are some mistakes in my language)
If you can make it work, then go for it, but otherwise, for the love of god; no.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
It depends on what type of metal you are playing. It probably wouldn't work with death metal. But keyboards are great for power metal or melodic death.

He's right, it usually won't. Morbid Angel did use keyboards on alters
of madness though. Not much, but if you look then you'll find it and it's just those triads, but it made things much better. Keyboards can be put into any thing without ruining the song, just depends on how it's applied and if you can pull it off in composition and technical skill. Also if you get a keyboardist it doesn't mean that he has to be in every song if you can't find a way to make it fit good.
Quote by sam b
Check out my band's song Waging War, and listen to the keyboard in the verse (on my profile)

/advertising

Thanks for your reply! Your song is great (except for the lyrics, I don't really like that way of singing, but that's only my opinion)! What tuning is it? Sounds like drop-B! very dark!
i think theyre good as long as its not over the top, if it doesnt fit the song theres no point adding it. i always think over the top synth solos are awesome though, specially if theyre using a pitch shifter dial to do slides, they kick ass.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by flipthatchicken

Looks like Tolkki is forming a new band, and then the others will be staying together.

So one band will have the guitar skills of Tolkki, but then the other will have Jens Johannson, who is incredible.
Quote by Manowarrior
Thanks for your reply! Your song is great (except for the lyrics, I don't really like that way of singing, but that's only my opinion)! What tuning is it? Sounds like drop-B! very dark!

Thanks
ermm.. It's B Standard I think

BEADF#b
depends what type of metal

power metal, sure

thrash metal, **** no
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by break-me-in
It can either be cool or make everything sound really cheesy.

pretty much. why dont you just compare metal bands that have one, and ones that dont. then decide which sound you like better?
Quote by British_Steal
depends what type of metal

power metal, sure

thrash metal, **** no

Well, I think that's, what my problem is!
I want do do a kind of mix of Power/True Metal and Trash Metal (Power Metal melodys and Trash Metal guitar riffs)

But thanks for your reply although. Thanks everyone!!!
Quote by Minkaro
Looks like Tolkki is forming a new band, and then the others will be staying together.

So one band will have the guitar skills of Tolkki, but then the other will have Jens Johannson, who is incredible.

i feel whole again!!
thats should be awesome!
Page 1 of 2