109 69%
Great technique
7 4%
Chickin sammich please
41 26%
Voters: 157.
Page 1 of 2
Which would you rather listen to?

- A guitarist with awesome technique/fingerspeed and dexterity who is only average when it come to creativity.

- A guitarist who is very creative/innovative but has only average technique.

If this has been done before I will delete it.

edit:
Obviously both would be a great answer. ::thinks of Jimi Hendrix::

But IF you HAD to pick, which would you choose.

Also, in your opinion are there any guitarists that come to mind when you think of these options?
Last edited by Vagabond21 at May 19, 2008,
Both, obviously. It's not even like you have to choose, you just have to aim for both.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Creativity. Skill can be developed.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by rabidguitarist
Both, obviously. It's not even like you have to choose, you just have to aim for both.

No ****

This is hypothetical
Both is good. But if forced to choose one or the other, it has to be creativity. I believe that there is more to music than what you see and hear. Someone who is very creative can make the music expressive, and change you feelings. Creative people tend to write music with emotion behind it, which is good.

Well....thats all in my opinion anyway
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Creativity, obviously.
I'd rather listen to something new and interesting than Michael Angelo Batio wank off a few scales.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
creativity, shredders have good technique but rarely any creativity as virtually all their songs are the same, classical guitarists wont have the same technique but are far more creative
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
creativity, shredders have good technique but rarely any creativity as virtually all their songs are the same, classical guitarists wont have the same technique but are far more creative

Heeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee we go again.
I'm a singer and a songwriter first, so I'm more impressed by creativity than pure guitar skill. That said, one helps the other a great deal.
Death to Ovation haters!
I would also liek a chikkin sammich plz
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
This thread is pointless, of course creativity is the choice. However I would hate not being able to express I like I want due the lack of skill.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Quote by Ez0ph
I would also liek a chikkin sammich plz

Would you like "special mayoooh" with that?
Quote by Xodah
This thread is pointless, of course creativity is the choice. However I would hate not being able to express I like I want due the lack of skill.

exactly, its the balance of the universe.

creativity and technique go hand in hand

no technique was invented without creativity; and nothing creative was invented without technique
bit of a stupid question

how many people enjoy listening to MAB?
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Technique
i'm more of a creativity person myself, but if you're listening to a specific player, they wouldnt even be able to communicate their brilliant ideas if they had no technique. Whereas someone with technique could just impress me with a bit of gilbert or whatever.
I know it's the "in" thing to say creativity around here, but if you think about it, technique DOES matter

EDIT: i voted chicken sammich though... as i'd rather have a mixture
Quote by denizenz
*raises hand*

Hey, I thought Rain Forest was very creative...

Lol, Rain Forest is a good song.
And so are a few of his others but tbh I can't listen to a whole cd of that.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by denizenz
*raises hand*

Hey, I thought Rain Forest was very creative...

About half of Batio's stuff is actually really good, he sounds amazing when he plays slow, the other half is terrible though.

I chose creative because there are some guitarists who are slow most of the time but awesome like the guy from Opeth. Technique is very important also though, I love guitarists who play neo classical shred like Yngwie, Alexi Laiho and Timo Tolki.
creativity is an innate characteristic of a personality (or not if you are not creative, but then you can vent your creativity in some other way), while technique is an acquired attribute. even then, you can be creative with technique, like Hendrix using his thumb, and using his ring as a slide.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by one vision
Both. I hate people who are like "I dont need to shred, I play teh b100z" and the other way around. Creative improvisation and awesome technique are equally important.

yeah -- just look at Slash. i watched a video of him soloing on youtube and i didnt think he shredded as much, and then he went into this really nice bluesy solo.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Neither.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by im_hungry
'Creativity' means slow blues doesn't it?

No

cre·a·tiv·i·ty Audio Help /ˌkrieɪˈtɪvɪti, ˌkriə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kree-ey-tiv-i-tee, kree-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the state or quality of being creative.
2. the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
3. the process by which one utilizes creative ability: Extensive reading stimulated his creativity.
Quote by steee21
I'd like to listen to someone with creativity while eating a chicken sammich.

Gimme a sammich and I'll show you creativity.
Quote by Travelin' Blues
Gimme a sammich and I'll show you creativity.

here ya go
I'd rather have a sandwich than answer such a stupid question.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well, creativity applies to technique, so I would choose "creativity".

However, would knowledge of theory be considered "techncal"? Cause sometimes creativity can not be enough when not enough theory is known (independant of one's technique on the instrument).
Quote by rabidguitarist

Agreed.

I find it funny people think they are seperate.
Quote by watchingmefall
Really these kind of threads are made on a weekly basis, the speed vs feeling stuff and the like.
Can't we have both? Can't we all get along?

It's sort of like asking why Muslims and Hindu's can't get along, but less offensive.

PS - that is a joke.
Page 1 of 2