Hi guys.

Yesterday, me and my dad went to see my dad's saxophone teacher in concert and there was one thing that struck me: his use of dynamics was absolutely amazing. I realised how the dynamics made the music what it is and how he used them to be expressive, but I have noticed that it is not something often mentioned as a good technique when it comes to guitar.

Nevertheless, I was wondering, does anyone know of or have any good songs or videos showing dynamics at their best used by a guitarist?

Thanks,

Michal
It's rarely mentioned, but when it is it's usally in reference to how well an amp or distortion pedal lets the dynamics in your playing come through. I had a hard time getting my bandmates to use dynamics rather than everything being loud all the time.

I'd say listen to A Perfect Circle or Tool. Especially listen to Sober, the interlude is very soft and then gets heavy.

Korn also uses a lot of dynamics in their earlier work.

A lot of good artists use dynamics, you just have to realize it's there.
well, no examples, figured id say that out the gate, but dynamics as a whole are used all the time. jsut listen. as far as a guitar performance that is very dynamic, SRV's little wing cover comes to mind. but really, dynamics make a song. listen to some mars volta.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I hear it mentioned quite often...

When you say dynamics I don't think of dynamic songwriting like Bertallica mentioned, but actually playing with dynamics. The subtle use of harmonics and variations in pick attack, the ability to play loud or quiet without turning any knobs or volume pedals. A lot of blues guys like Clapton, Jeff Beck, John Mayer and so on are masters of this, but also more shreddy guys like Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci are great at this.

I think dynamics are really what turns a "technician" into a musician, that is, you're not just playing notes but you're making something of those notes.
Alot of solo albums by guitarist like joe satriani john petrucci steve via( i think a spellt them all wrong) use **** loads of dynamics
Quote by Aziraphale
I hear it mentioned quite often...

When you say dynamics I don't think of dynamic songwriting like Bertallica mentioned, but actually playing with dynamics. The subtle use of harmonics and variations in pick attack, the ability to play loud or quiet without turning any knobs or volume pedals. A lot of blues guys like Clapton, Jeff Beck, John Mayer and so on are masters of this, but also more shreddy guys like Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci are great at this.

I think dynamics are really what turns a "technician" into a musician, that is, you're not just playing notes but you're making something of those notes.

That's exactly what I mean, and I've noticed that two players can play exactly the same piece, one using dynamics and the other one not, and the one using dynamics will sound a million times better.
Compression is a vital component of distortion and compression basically specifically destroys dynamics, making a lot of guitar styles more or less devoid of them; plus anything produced for radio is heavily compressed AGAIN because people get confused when the radio goes quiet they like it LOUD ALL THE TIME.

but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIHSFpLXXX4

^Listen to that and then go out and buy the album. Two masters of subtlety.
Quote by michal23
That's exactly what I mean, and I've noticed that two players can play exactly the same piece, one using dynamics and the other one not, and the one using dynamics will sound a million times better.

Yeah, this is a problem with a lot of new players, they download tabs, practice until they can play all the notes in the right order, then think they've perfected it.

They never learn to listen to their own playing, to their picking, slides, vibrato, tempo and so on, and they sound horrible. John Frusciante doesn't play hard music at all but the things he play sound awesome because he's aware of what he's doing and he listens to himself. A good guitarist plays with his hands, a great guitarist plays with his ears.
Dynamics are very present in classical music. Look up some videos of people playing piece like Lagrima or Adelita by Tarrega. They're generally good piece to learn about your guitar's tonal palette.

As for in other types of music, phrasing and dynamics have always been present in Satriani's playing. Especially in slower tunes like Always with me Always with you. He is a great player when it comes to that.

Just a bit of contrast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxpWgfhjIg

He uses quite a bit of dynamics. It's El Ultimo Tremolo, by Barrios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM

So does he.