At the moment I play a Fender Stratocaster, a 70's classic player model. And as much as I love the guitar, the pickups are very noisy and trebley.
I don't think there's any shielding for the pickups so I basically become a radio mast playing it.

Anyway, I seek to change the pups in it. Any recommendations?
I play Alternative rock mainly, but my favourite tone of all time has to be Gilmour's. I'd like to be able to have the ability to have a nice clean sound on the neck for those slower melodic solos, and then for the bridge those rockier heavier moments.

I've been looking at some Lace sensors, Red Silver Blue's? Any good?

Also. I can't use a solder for ****, so how much do you think it would cost to get them installed on my Strat, how much should I be expected to pay?

Thanks
If you're in the UK, definitely check out Swineshead and Bare Knuckle pickups.
Any specific pickups of theirs I should check out?

I also play stuff like Radiohead, Muse, Oceansize, Incubus. Stuff like that.
send an e-mail to tim mills at bareknuckle with your playing style and what you want a pickup to sound like, he will recommend the best one to you

cant recommend a particular pickup myself cause I don't use any single coil guitars but I can really vouch for bare knuckle's quality and sound.

if bare knuckle is out of your budget, lace sensors can sound very nice in a strat, I know gilmour has them in at least one of his.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
A set of Swineshead Spotlights would be nice - and there's always Cord's pickups, a set of Smooth Groove Extra Warms would probably suit you nicely.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for your recommendations guys. =]

I've emailed the guys at Bareknuckle asking them.

If I'm being honest, I need the ability to get fairly distorted sounds, I don't suppose I'd achieve that with a single coil? :/
Quote by FreedomFighter
Thanks for your recommendations guys. =]

I've emailed the guys at Bareknuckle asking them.

If I'm being honest, I need the ability to get fairly distorted sounds, I don't suppose I'd achieve that with a single coil? :/

Distortion comes from your amp, not your pickups - however the character of the distorted tone is obviously dependent on pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=11&catalogid=56

You said D Gilmore, You can thank me later. I got the SL20 in one of my strats you will love it.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by steven seagull
Distortion comes from your amp, not your pickups - however the character of the distorted tone is obviously dependent on pickups.
Yes, that's what I meant sorry.

To the poster above me. Yeah, I love Gilmour, but it's just a tone that I don't use all the time, it's more for my own private use do I indulge in Floyd really. My band has no room for prog of the more sombre nature.
^ He started using EMGs to keep his signal going through his marathon of effects pedals and rack systems, but after a while decided they sounded too much like humbuckers and not enough like a Strat, so on his black Strat he just uses passive singlecoils.
Right. I've decided to get a Blue, Silver, Red Lace Sensor set for my Stratocaster. But having read reviews on the Red Lace Sensor, apparently it isn't that hot? I need the ability to do distorted tones ala Smashing Pumpkins, Oceansize.
i've got texas specials on my MIA standard strat, they are good all round (great cleans and not bad when driven). i have also a new strat deluxe which has fender hot samarium cobalt noiseless pups on with a humbucker at the bridge, a great combination. the hot scn pups are much better than i thought - comparable to the texas specials.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by anonamooseguy
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=11&catalogid=56

You said D Gilmore, You can thank me later. I got the SL20 in one of my strats you will love it.

Do what this guy said. With this setup you can play anything. Including the hard driven tone.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X