So I want to be able to record acoustic and bass guitar onto my Macbook Pro, probably for use in GarageBand, and I need some gear guidance.

As of right now my acoustic is strictly acoustic - no pickup or amp or anything. I have access to a Peavey 15W (I think) guitar amp but I've never tried it so I'm not sure how it sounds.

Should I get a pickup for the guitar, plug into the amp, and then get a mic to record out of the amp? Or can I get away with skipping the pickup and amp part, and just sitting in front of a mic and playing? Or, leave out the amp and mic, and just run a pickup into some kind of external recording interface?

I have similar questions about bass, except it's electric so I already have an amp for it. But would I be plugging directly into a USB or Firewire interface, or going through the amp first?

I've been recommended the E-MU 0202 USB 2.0, it seems to have everything I need, but then again I don't know exactly what I need.

I realize there's a number of ways to do this, I'm just looking for the best entry level setup.

I appreciate any help.
just put a mic in front of your acoustic. it will be the most natural sound you can get.

EDIT: for the bass, just plug it in the amp and put a mic in front of it..
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I'd mic the acoustic with a good recording mic

And for the bass, why don't you try plugging it right into your Macbook? All you need is the proper adapter and you should have a plug-in into your computer for it. (My plug in is right next to my headphone plug-in and has a symbol similar to this: >o< but more like a bow-tie)
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Quote by riffer_raffer
I'd mic the acoustic with a good recording mic

And for the bass, why don't you try plugging it right into your Macbook? All you need is the proper adapter and you should have a plug-in into your computer for it. (My plug in is right next to my headphone plug-in and has a symbol similar to this: >o< but more like a bow-tie)

I see the port; is this just a basic 1/4" to 1/8" adapter?
Buy an interface with phantom power, and get a decent condenser mic. Best way to go, hands down. An interface you can get for between like $120 and $200, a condenser that sounds absolutely fine can be had for $100, I reccommend the audio-technica, very clean warm sound.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Last edited by freshtunes at May 19, 2008,
Ok, the condenser mic I can do. The Audio-Technica AT2020 looks really good for the price.

Now for the interface, do most typically have the phantom power feature? I'm looking at the E-MU 0202 USB as well as the M-Audio Fast Track USB but can't find if either of them have phantom power..

edit: did a little more more browsing and found phantom power the next step up, so now my options include the E-MU 0404 USB and M-Audio Firewire Solo. Any personal experiences with either, or should I look elsewhere?
Last edited by adion at May 20, 2008,