So, I'm getting back into playing again (haven't played for a few years) and currently don't have an amp.

I'm playing a standard USA strat... I would like to be able to have a wide range of sound... good cleans and be able to get heavy distortion too (stuff like ac/dc, zztop, metallica, smashing pumpkins, linkin park, disturbed, blues... wide range!). I don't play in a band and won't be gigging... don't need to be too loud.

I would like to keep it around $400 (just for amp), but could go a little higher. I can use other money for pedal(s) if needed.

I've been trying to do the research without having to post, but haven't come up with anything too conclusive.

Would something like the Blues Jr meet what I'm looking for? What would I need as far as a pedal to get some of the distortion I'm asking for?

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any help!
To properly get a Metallica or Linkin Park tone, you would need a guitar with humbuckers and an amp with the same kind of gain as a Mesa/Boogie.

A Blues Jr with a Tubescreamer would be good for blues, AC/DC, ZZ Top etc.
Quote by blue_strat
To properly get a Metallica or Linkin Park tone, you would need a guitar with humbuckers and an amp with the same kind of gain as a Mesa/Boogie.

A Blues Jr with a Tubescreamer would be good for blues, AC/DC, ZZ Top etc.

I may be looking at buying another guitar as well... assuming I did, is there an amp in my range that would meet that?
AMP Is alot more of the tone.... under 400 you wont get much...

Peavey Valveking might be your best bet, or a Classic 30...
Well, I had been talking to a friend of mine here, he suggested I put a Red lace sensor in the bridge position and it would give you a lot more output similar to humbucker.

Lets say I did that and bumped my price range up a few hundred... $700 maybe $800?
I would suggest a Tranyor YCV50 blue, and possibly an overdrive pedal. That should get you most of the tones you want... it has great cleans and great crunch!
I was doing some research on the red lace sensor... (enough to make me doubt buying it) said that it is horrible for clean tones... I don't want to sacrifice tone if I can avoid it.

My only concern with such a large amp (YCV50) is being able to play it at lower volumes and maintain quality sound... I have been reading quite a bit in this forum and that amp was one of the ones I was going to put in my "go test" list. Maybe that and a good pedal would get me what I'm looking for and maintain my current pickups.
I would suggest a flextone III. A lot of people around here frown upon line six products, but the flextone is a really nice amp. It would cover all those styles you're seeking and you could definantly find one used in your price range. Although I agree that tube amps sound better than solid state amps, the flextone sounds great and is very versatile.
CLICK HERE to see my rig
Mesa Dual Rectifier
4x12 Recto Standard
H&K 1x12 Switchblade
Flextone 3 XL
PRS Custom 22 Ten Top
ESP EC-1000
Shecter Gryphon w/ Emg 85/81
Ibanez AEF37
EHX small clone/ holy grail
BBE Sonic maximizer
Boss DD6
Quote by Highwaytohell
ahh... you could just get a classic 30 and an overdrive pedal...

Would that get Disturbed gain levels?
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa