ok i have my first gig in about a month and my band is pretty good (except for the singer. he sucks) but we only have 1 or 2 practices left and i was wondering if theres any like things you guys do to get mentally prepared or something? idk just give me advice. lol
I hate my sig
Know everything perfectly, and get tipsy to calm your nerves, but not enough to balls everything up.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
turn up very early so your not rushed and have time to just sit and relax

then have about 20 minutes running over the songs with your guitar, just playing them sat down with the rest of the band around

before you go onstage jump up and down and shake your hands and maybe even run your hand under the hand dryer in the toilets to get the blood running around your hands

then when your on stage let the addrenaline kick in
Science Geek

chloe was in chemistry. chloe is no more, for what she thought was H2O was H2SO4
I found drinking Redbull helped me, but the most effective remedy is confidence and past experience :P So no help there!
Life is My Mistake, the Responsibility Held By No One Else
I'm Leaving Footprints in the Ashes of the Fallen
Quote by rabidguitarist
Know everything perfectly, and get tipsy to calm your nerves, but not enough to balls everything up.

hmmm sounds like a good idea buuut im only 16. but the knowing everything perfect part is just crazy enough to work!
I hate my sig
Just go through the set list your last rehearsal, and get the bugs out.

The day of the gig, just try and stay relaxed. When you finally get up there, make sure all your gear is in good order, (check all the batteries in your pedals, make sure your cords are good to go, check the outlets, check your strings, make sure your guitars are in tune, etc). Wash your hands and dry them well before you play. As far as for being on stage in front of everyone, just have fun and stay loose. If you're all uptight, there's a better chance of you screwing up. Have a good time!

Also, I use a trick that Jaco Pastorius used. If it gets humid and you have trouble with your neck and fingers getting sticky, get a chicken bone and rub your fingers on it. It keeps them lubed up.

Go ahead, make a lube joke Pit, I dare you.
Quote by apollo minor
Just go through the set list your last rehearsal, and get the bugs out.

The day of the gig, just try and stay relaxed. When you finally get up there, make sure all your gear is in good order, (check all the batteries in your pedals, make sure your cords are good to go, check the outlets, check your strings, make sure your guitars are in tune, etc). Wash your hands and dry them well before you play. As far as for being on stage in front of everyone, just have fun and stay loose. If you're all uptight, there's a better chance of you screwing up. Have a good time!

Also, I use a trick that Jaco Pastorius used. If it gets humid and you have trouble with your neck and fingers getting sticky, get a chicken bone and rub your fingers on it. It keeps them lubed up.

Go ahead, make a lube joke Pit, I dare you.
A chicken bone???? why dont i just use K.Y warming massage lube? lol
I hate my sig
yeah gettin tipsy works great, and so does getting there early. maybe have a game of footy before to loosen up lol thats what we did last time.
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

play heroin roulette...if you lose..you get air in the vains..and thats is when you have real things to worry about, preforming will seem like nothinz
Know how fucking awesome you are, how fucking awesome the crowd thinks you are, and if you screw up, ignore it.
thank but i dont think heroine roulette will help me nail my solos. (which is what im most worried about)
I hate my sig
i don't do anything special. when i'm on stage, i'm so relaxed that i get bored sometimes.
just make sure you know the songs well, and you'll do fine. i don't see why you would still be stressed on stage.
Practice makes perfect. And some mistakes can happen. Eric Clapton can screw up, Matt Bellamy can screw up, Dominic Howard can screw up, John5 can screw up, so you can screw up.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
just remember, who's goning to remember one screwup ten years down the road.
if you watch live videos of people like slash, trey anastatio and angus young, you're bound to find at least one ****up .

oh, also smoke some weed. it increases your "improv" abilities for 20 minute jazz free form jams.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
thank but i dont think heroine roulette will help me nail my solos. (which is what im most worried about)

If you're worried about the solos, try not to pull anything complex.
hmmm......interesting....but yeah were just doing covers mostly and im probly not going to improv on the solos ...........but there not toooo hard. maybe harder in front of 200 people
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
hmmm......interesting....

That's for your first couple times of course, after a while you'll get used to "getting into it"
My first couple gigs I did were hard for me (I'm a DJ) and I had trouble syncing the records because I was too worried about the crowd's reaction (or too distracted by the MC). After a while, I learn to ignore the crowd until I had the record completely synced up, and now I've developed an instinct of "what goes after this tune" so I hardly have to watch the crowd. Basically, ignore everything else until its second nature.
yeah....i just dont know what to expect. and i dont want the singer to screw up then we'll all look stupid
I hate my sig
i have never actually performed, but one thing that would calm my nerves is to know exactly the set up you have for yourself, bring extra strings, picks, cables, a cloth to wipe your guitar and a towel for you (but its probably not necessary for only 2 songs).

perhaps if you walk to the front of the stage and play a really powerful (open) chord (D without the 2nd fret on the high e string is brilliant and rich) you will get confidence because the audience will respond. then your confidence should increase as your performance goes on. and just imagine you are the real deal, but not a crazy one like zakk wylde. and look at the audience, dont look down, and smile as well and make eye contact with people and your band.

that is what i think would help me anyway.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
i have never actually performed, but one thing that would calm my nerves is to know exactly the set up you have for yourself, bring extra strings, picks, cables, a cloth to wipe your guitar and a towel for you (but its probably not necessary for only 2 songs).

perhaps if you walk to the front of the stage and play a really powerful (open) chord (D without the 2nd fret on the high e string is brilliant and rich) you will get confidence because the audience will respond. then your confidence should increase as your performance goes on. and just imagine you are the real deal, but not a crazy one like zakk wylde. and look at the audience, dont look down, and smile as well and make eye contact with people and your band.

that is what i think would help me anyway.

thats actually pretty good advice. but were actually playing about 10 songs. not just 2
I hate my sig
Quote by chillrock
and look at the audience, dont look down.

I disagree, you should know you are way fuckin cooler than anyone in that audience, hence you are on stage and they are not.

Unless you mean literally of course
Quote by JeanMi36
Practice makes perfect. And some mistakes can happen. Eric Clapton can screw up, Matt Bellamy can screw up, Dominic Howard can screw up, John5 can screw up, so you can screw up.

BUT Jimmy Page cannot screw up
I hate my sig
Quote by MastaBassist10
I disagree, you should know you are way fuckin cooler than anyone in that audience, hence you are on stage and they are not.

Unless you mean literally of course

"looking at the audience" doesnt mean staring at them, but making eye contact and being physically dynamic and letting them know you are having a good time.

and what if Jimmy Page is in the audience? are you cooler than he? i think not!!!!!

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Just prepare to suck. Sorry to sound mean, but we all know that everybody's first gig is terrible. After you have some experience in front of people, you'll get better. On the flip side, if you don't suck, but you thought you would, it'll be that much better to you. =D
Quote by mrwaffles
Sorry to sound mean, but we all know that everybody's first gig is terrible.

I wish someone had told me this before my first gig. It's was pretty awful.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by chillrock
"looking at the audience" doesnt mean staring at them, but making eye contact and being physically dynamic and letting them know you are having a good time.

and what if Jimmy Page is in the audience? are you cooler than he? i think not!!!!!

Ooooh, I thought you meant feeling on their level vs feeling superior to them
I got tipsy for one gig, that worked, at another I was wasted and started playing in double time during Sweet Home (I drum in this band) Moral is...Don't let your drummer have any booze.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by QuantumMechanix
thats actually pretty good advice. but were actually playing about 10 songs. not just 2

okay, then, if you have more guitars that stay in tune, take them along, or if you dont have any other ones which would live up to the quality you want then take time to tune between songs (BETWEEN EVERY SONG).

make sure you have quite new strings on your guitar (a couple of days old, no older) and make sure its intonation is as perfect as it can be. when you are putting on your "gig" strings, take them all off and polish the fretboard with lemon oil. make sure your cables wont fall out of their sockets when you are onstage -- easily solvable by hooking between your strap and guitar body, and sticking it with gaffa (is that how you spell that?) tape to the amp. get strap locks if you dont already have them, and do a soundcheck before the gig -- leave enough time so that problems can be solved logically and w/o stress.

and definitely bring a cloth to wipe the neck of your guitar, as it can get sticky and cause friction = impaired playing, and bring a towel to keep your hands dry. have a bottle of water onstage for yourself just in case, and dress comfortably (dont wear trousers that will fall down).

as for practice, do it standing up and find a height for your strap which looks decent and is comfortable. and play some guitar before you go on stage as a warm up, but dont overdo it. have a rehearsal (or 2) at the actual venue to get a feel for the acoustics and everything, and just jump right into the first song.

basically just use your common sense, and prepare for the worst and hope for the best. personally i would try to make myself feel as secure as possible on stage and with all my gear and any effects i want to use.

good luck, or break a string, as they say.

EDIT: let your guitar(s) acclimatise to the venue. that means you should have them on a stand on stage no less than about 20 minutes prior to performance. then you must tune them again, because there will likely be a change in temperature, which will make your strings sharp (stage is cold) or flat (stage is warm).

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Last edited by chillrock at May 19, 2008,
Just keep in mind that eventually, you will have a "Spinal Tap" moment. Something will go wrong, even if you double-checked everything. Try to be prepared if something goes wrong and don't stand there like retards looking at each other but try to joke about it towards the audiance.
Also remember, this is very big for you guys, but for the audience, you're just another band (seeing this is your first gig). So no one cares if you screw up. (on the other hand, seeing that you're 16, it's probably at your local school or something where you will be playing, so people will know you and will care if you screw up ).

You're gonna be just fine, it's your first gig, people won't be really mad if you **** up.
If your singer isn't good then that's not good, that's what people usually focus on.

Just concentrate and play, if you're doing your own songs you'll be fine, no one will know if you screw up.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Ooooh, I thought you meant feeling on their level vs feeling superior to them

you should try to "feel" like you are the dog's bollocks, but dont tell the audience to eff-off.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by QuantumMechanix

The main thing ive learned from all my gigs is that when i mess up a solo...i am the only one who really notices. Remember that you are not playing for a crowd of shredders..you are playing for a crowd who wants to hear music. I always ask some friends (some who are guitarists) if my mistakes were noticable...and they always say they couldnt tell. Hope that helps a bit.

good luck!

EDIT: If you do make a mistake dont stop...just keep playing like nothing happened.
My Gear
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez RG550
Fender Tele Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Lonestar
Keeley Compressor
Keeley TS808
Last edited by Mike_Callahan at May 19, 2008,
i find that just being confident in yourself and if someone screws up just keep going they should be able to join in again. and with solos i dont know about guitar or anything as i play bass but in orchestra were i play 1st trumpet and have a solo just kepp concentrating on it and who really cares