Page 1 of 2
I've chosen to do GCSE music next year but i'm a bit worried about if i'm good enough. All other people who i know have chose it are like grade 8 and can also play piano pretty well, and i'm only grade 5 in violin and i did grade 2 in piano years ago.

I told one girl who's doing it (who's grade 8 piano) that i was doing it and she asked me if i was kidding. I was pissed, but i'm starting to wonder if i'm really good enough.

I can imagine turning up next year and seeing the look of astonishment on everyone's face, which won't be fun.

So pit, am i good enough to do music GCSE? And is there any good way of stopping people laughing at the thought (just so you know, raping them isn't a good way)?

12345abcd3
You don't have to be great to take GCSE music. The compositions just have to be simple and to the point and the exams expect you to give simple answers.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I was in a music class at GCSE full of grade 8'ers, and I'd never and still haven't taken a single music exam in my life, nor had a single lesson, but I could play the **** out of any of em

Seriously though, GCSE music is ridiculously easy, you'll be fine.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
if they laugh at you then they're assholes. It doesn't matter if you're grade five or 2, you'll still be able to do it successfully, it's not hard to do either, it's an easy course.

Please don't be worried you're already good enough, if they laugh they're big assholes and just fail.
A Level Music should be for those around grade five or higher I hear.

I know someone who came out with a weak B, not knowing anything before taking it. However, he had to work hard for it though.
BTEC>GCSE and you know it

Anyway, a lot of it doesn't have to do with your playing skill, its all about your imagination and creativity.
When I took Music I had literally never played a musical instrument ever, I came out with a B overall, not too bad.

Edit: By the time I finished I was a Grade 8 on the Drum Kit, although the Grading system for the drum kit fails hard.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Last edited by Kiffa at May 19, 2008,
Quote by TJ1991
I was in a music class at GCSE full of grade 8'ers, and I'd never and still haven't taken a single music exam in my life, nor had a single lesson, but I could play the **** out of any of em

You sure they were grade 8? My friend is a grade 8 and has ridiculously good compositions she made for GCSE.
With those type of grades you should be fine. They don't matter to much. Everyone I speak to at college said GCSE music was easy. Some people may find it hard, but if you are musical then you should be ok.

Ignore the people giving you grief about it, just work your ass off at it and get the best grade you can then you're laughing really.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
O.o When i did GCSE music i was the only one in 2 20 person classes that was graded at all in any instrument.
Quote by hazzmatazz
BTEC>GCSE and you know it

Anyway, a lot of it doesn't have to do with your playing skill, its all about your imagination and creativity.

Go away and wonder around with your sub par mind
you'll be fine, I just took my exam n stuff n my compositions were simple and my performances were like grade 6 Bass I'm grade 7/8 but i decided to do something simple n i got A* on my comps n performance the exam is pretty simple just have to remember like dates n stuff like that. Just work on your theory stuff as well and you'll be fine.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
Quote by muddywaters51
Smash The System **** Grades **** Music **** Everyone Go **** Grades **** Gcse Music **** G **** Everything **** The Police

Uhh, what?
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Craigo
You sure they were grade 8? My friend is a grade 8 and has ridiculously good compositions she made for GCSE.

Yeah a few of em were definitely grade 8, but they just didnt seem to want their skills as much as me, so they obviously were really good but refused to show it at any point, which is completely pointless in my opinion.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I had grade 8 piano when I did GCSE music. I got a ****ing B.

I didn't do any work for it though, which probably explains it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by TJ1991
Yeah a few of em were definitely grade 8, but they just didnt seem to want their skills as much as me, so they obviously were really good but refused to show it at any point, which is completely pointless in my opinion.

I know the sort. I have a mate who's grade seven in trumpet, solely because of his Mum pushing him. We used to say how pathetic it was, but we knew it wasn't him, it was his Mum.

Seriously, my friend who's a grade eight is awesome, and also plays sax, piano, acoustic bass, sings... I never think I could meet a more passionate person about music.
I've just finished it, had my final exam last week. and there were some terrible musicians in my class. i mean, like they'd never seen a guitar or drum kit in their life. and i think they still got a C on coursework and listening. with like 15/50 on the performance.

I got 49/50 and coursework is easy. i've always struggled on some aspects of the listening.
When I started GCSE music in September, I knew nothing about any music theory beyond the year 7 'Tea, coffee, cho-co-late' rhythms, and now I know more theory than anyone in my class. Since I didn't learn it in school, I had to teach myself.

As for being able to play, I'm the only guitarist in my class that can play anything other than chords - you don't have to be good.

And the compositions, my teacher told us to write 'modern dance music', but I've not yet heard any 'dance' music from people's compositions. There's just the drummer who thinks that length of the song is more important than anything else.

...You're gonna be fine.

Edit: There are also the performances, but the only thing you really should have trouble with is nerves. I chose 'Nothing Else Matters' for my first solo performance, which got me, I think, the highest marks in the class. That's because, as my teacher said, I'm showing legato techniques and dynamics (emotion in this case) in the verses/Choruses & solos.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Last edited by jaffawoman at May 19, 2008,
I did it with grade 5 flute and got A*. The performances only need to be around a grade 3 standard, thoughyou get bonuspoints for harder pieces. Still, better to do an easy piece perfectly than a hard one badly.

The compositions are mostly based on how well you interpret the genre, and how you use it's stylistic features. Sounding good is really an added bonus. The exam is mostly recognising styles. However, there is some writing down of a tune onto a score, which requires an ear for intervals. However, this develops with practise.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by mayht
Why dont you choose to do guitar for it?

I can play any instrument i want for the performance but i've only been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years so i thought i'd be on safer ground with violin.

Judging from what everyone's said i reckon i should be fine because i can compose pretty well.
Quote by 12345abcd3
I can play any instrument i want for the performance but i've only been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years so i thought i'd be on safer ground with violin.

Judging from what everyone's said i reckon i should be fine because i can compose pretty well.

You'll do fine mate.

GCSE's are easy, music is no exception That bitch who laughed at you is just a self righteous whore
nah, you'll be fine, i'm doing it now, 1st year and some people in my class can't play very well at all and most don't know what grades are. If you put the work in and want to do well then you will do well and you shall seep the rewards
ull be fine, this guy in my sisters year took it and he can only sing, cant play a single instrument, IMO he shouldnt have been allowed to take it
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
There are people in my music class who cannot play an instrument, do no work in lesson, and will probably still come out with a D. It is incredibly easy. As long as you enjoy playing your instrument you will do excellently. Serious Grade 8 Piano is above A Level standard. The maximum A2 Level asks for is Grade 6 standard playing, anything above that is just extra.

Don't listen to the dickheads that put you down. Just do it.
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
if its the playing you're worried about, i think grade 3 is about a B (correct me if im wrong)i had played bass for 2 months, my flute had broken, and i had to do an assesment, 22/25 straight up, not to hard
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
grade 5 was good enough for A level at my high school.

but yeah, you'll be fine as long as you can compose and perform well in front of a tape recorder.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by 12345abcd3
I've chosen to do GCSE music next year but i'm a bit worried about if i'm good enough. All other people who i know have chose it are like grade 8 and can also play piano pretty well, and i'm only grade 5 in violin and i did grade 2 in piano years ago.

I told one girl who's doing it (who's grade 8 piano) that i was doing it and she asked me if i was kidding. I was pissed, but i'm starting to wonder if i'm really good enough.

I can imagine turning up next year and seeing the look of astonishment on everyone's face, which won't be fun.

So pit, am i good enough to do music GCSE? And is there any good way of stopping people laughing at the thought (just so you know, raping them isn't a good way)?

12345abcd3

You don't need **** to take it,and by the way, 'grade 8' means ****ing nothing and shes a ****ing slag who needs to die.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Well, I'm on my first year of Music GCSE and I play the Clarinet, but I forgot which grade I am at (that's how good I am ). I think it's Grade 3 Theory you should be at in order to do music GCSE. In my Music classes, we just much about and have 1 1 hour lesson a week yet (I think) we're doing fine
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
GCSE music is simple, you'll be fine.

Also, grades aren't always a particularly accurate measure of musical skill.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I'm aiming for an A or an A* really, seeing as my school has riduculously high achievers (my sister got 8 A*'s and 2 A's so now i'm expected to live up to that).

What sort of grades do you need for A's and A*'s?
Quote by 12345abcd3
I'm aiming for an A or an A* really, seeing as my school has riduculously high achievers (my sister got 8 A*'s and 2 A's so now i'm expected to live up to that).

What sort of grades do you need for A's and A*'s?

You're not your sister, don't let your parents run you down. Try your best and be proud of that.
i reckon about 5 or a good grade 4 peice should do it but im not sure, still in my first year of it (theres 3 of us in the class woo!)
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I dossed for 2 years and got a B and i have no grades at all.. my mate recorded all his coursework the day before the deadline and got an A. It's really not that big a deal, it's only GCSE's anyway.
Quote by alexmonty12
I dossed for 2 years and got a B and i have no grades at all.. my mate recorded all his coursework the day before the deadline and got an A. It's really not that big a deal, it's only GCSE's anyway.

Well, i'm generally hardworking when i can be asked, so i won't just doss.
Also, did you guys seriously not think GCSE's were a big deal when you were doing them? I know it barely matters later in life but still. Also, at my school i think you have to get an A in a subject to do it for A level and if you don't get 5 A's you get chucked out and have to go somewhere else for six form.
0_o

You all seem to have ridiculously good music classes - in my class I'm one of just two people who uses more than just the C Major scale =P
Page 1 of 2