Page 1 of 2
after thinking a lot about it, i decided i'm going to save up for a Line 6 Vetta II (perhaps a III by the time i have enough money, who knows), that i'll get as the amp for the next years coming.
it's just easier than having a tube amp (that needs maintenance and; let's face it, is less reliable) and a big pedalboard as gigging gear.
with the vetta, you just set up the stack (i'll probably get the head and a 212; mind you, i'm not getting it now yet but in a year and a half or so, it's a long-term plan ), connect an FBV floorboard and you're done. need mic'ing ? just use the direct out.
need a clean and overdriven sound at the same time ? unless you have two amps, it won't work, but the vetta can combine any amp you want with another one.
need a chorus, reverb and delay on a fender blackface-style amp, but need to switch to a heavily overdriven ac-30 style amp with some phasing immediatly afterwards ? unless you can tapdance extremely well and have some expensive stompboxes, it's not gonna work out. yet the vetta can do it. get my point ?
i'm aware of the fact that it won't give me smooth tube break-up, but the advantages of the vetta weigh out the disadvantages IMO.
It just seems like a nice and simple solution, to the never ending tone quest aswell . I just get a vetta and be done with it, you know ? so i can finally focus on actually playing the guitar !

oh, and just for pics' sake :

2x12 cab

FBV floorboard

opinions ?

wow, that pic came out quite big , ah well the controls are visible now.
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 19, 2008,
"it's just easier than having a tube amp (that needs maintenance and; let's face it, is less reliable)"

I just don't get this statement. Tube amps ARE reliable. Tubes MIGHT go. Get a spare set. Easy to replace if need be. What's the problem? Sounds WHAYYY better than a solid state imho...
But buy a Line 6 if you must ;-)
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
i had a power tube failure 2 times on stage already. having a spare set helps, but it still takes quite a bit of time untill you can go on with the gig again.

'ounds WHAYYY better than a solid state imho...'
you're thinking of the spiders. have you tried the vetta yet ?
What's the point of this thread if you appear to have already made up your mind?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Didn't you already make a thread about this?

I think if you like the sound then go for it, you seem to like the idea.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by The red Strat.
i had a power tube failure 2 times on stage already. having a spare set helps, but it still takes quite a bit of time untill you can go on with the gig again.

Fair enough, sounds like you had some bad luck there...

Quote by The red Strat.
you're thinking of the spiders. have you tried the vetta yet ?

Yeah fair enough again - I haven't tried the Vetta, but know the Spiders aren't great. So maybe a generalisation, but none more so than "tube amps [are] less reliable" Sounds like you had bad luck, but have made your mind up...

;-)
Gear in Profile

need a chorus, reverb and delay on a fender blackface-style amp, but need to switch to a heavily overdriven ac-30 style amp with some phasing immediatly afterwards ? unless you can tapdance extremely well and have some expensive stompboxes, it's not gonna work out.

totally possible even without a midi system. ever seen carl martin products, namely the octaswitch?
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by jxljxl
Didn't you already make a thread about this?

I think if you like the sound then go for it, you seem to like the idea.

yes, to ask what people thought about the vetta. meanwhile, i have tried it myself already (quite briefly though).

Quote by The red Strat.

need a chorus, reverb and delay on a fender blackface-style amp, but need to switch to a heavily overdriven ac-30 style amp with some phasing immediatly afterwards ? unless you can tapdance extremely well and have some expensive stompboxes, it's not gonna work out.

totally possible even without a midi system. ever seen carl martin products, namely the octaswitch?

yes, of course it's possible. but it costs 350 dollars, and it's a big and heavy bitch .
my point was that with the usual tube amp - stompboxes setup a guitarist has, it's not possible.
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 19, 2008,
that seems like a great choice, especiially if on stage versatility is what you want. my old guitar teacher had one, live most of the settings sounded pretty much like the real deal. however in the studio it was a different story. may i ask what songs and bands you cover when you play live? you may as well try out everything you get your hands on, and take all the suggestions you get, considering this is a long term plan, and you might change your mind sometime. the vetta will do the job quite nicely though.
The Vetta is a quality product. I'm not going to tell you to get a tube amp instead (even though that's what I'd do) because the trade off is often worth it. A lot of people accuse Line6 of being crappy because they make a couple of crappy products but the Vetta is not one of them. It sounds pretty good, is easy to set up/tear down/transport, and has more versatility than most people will ever find a use for.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by chea_man
that seems like a great choice, especiially if on stage versatility is what you want. my old guitar teacher had one, live most of the settings sounded pretty much like the real deal. however in the studio it was a different story. may i ask what songs and bands you cover when you play live? you may as well try out everything you get your hands on, and take all the suggestions you get, considering this is a long term plan, and you might change your mind sometime. the vetta will do the job quite nicely though.

how do you mean, in the studio it was a different story ?

we cover a lot of genres and bands, simply put everything under metal levels of gain. i play jazz and blues in one band, classic rock, alternative, fusion, reggae, coutry, harder rock, etc in another band. yet that isn't the main reason i like the versatility of the vetta. i simply like having a different sound from time to time, having the same timbre/tone all the time just bores me sometimes, no matter how good the tone is, d'you know what i mean ?

indeed, i agree. though i haven't encountered a piece of gear that has the same options of the vetta yet.
Quote by The red Strat.
how do you mean, in the studio it was a different story ?

we cover a lot of genres and bands, simply put everything under metal levels of gain. i play jazz and blues in one band, classic rock, alternative, fusion, reggae, coutry, harder rock, etc in another band. yet that isn't the main reason i like the versatility of the vetta. i simply like having a different sound from time to time, having the same timbre/tone all the time just bores me sometimes, no matter how good the tone is, d'you know what i mean ?

indeed, i agree. though i haven't encountered a piece of gear that has the same options of the vetta yet.

all i meant was that in a studio situation youll be listening back to everything with a much more discerning ear. basically, when your live, its ok to have like nearly a great tone, and then in the studio, because everything gets listened to over and over again, you want to have an absolutely great tone.

and yeah, i know just what you mean. i think you will really be happy with the vetta. but still like i said, if its going to be awile before you buy it, you might as well keep trying things out. have fun.
Vetta's are pretty fun amps to play
but i only play metal and don't use effects so it wouldnt be my first choice
Meshuggah uses them and they sound great, but thats after the studio editing and stuff.
but i think the tones are really great for solid state, and they have so many.

EDIT: but have you looked at other cabs than Line 6 ones?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by chea_man
all i meant was that in a studio situation youll be listening back to everything with a much more discerning ear. basically, when your live, its ok to have like nearly a great tone, and then in the studio, because everything gets listened to over and over again, you want to have an absolutely great tone.

and yeah, i know just what you mean. i think you will really be happy with the vetta. but still like i said, if its going to be awile before you buy it, you might as well keep trying things out. have fun.

ah, that way. yeah, true.

yeah, of course. i'm still open for other modelers that suit my needs. thanks

Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Vetta's are pretty fun amps to play
but i only play metal and don't use effects so it wouldnt be my first choice
Meshuggah uses them and they sound great, but thats after the studio editing and stuff.
but i think the tones are really great for solid state, and they have so many.

EDIT: but have you looked at other cabs than Line 6 ones?

yes, avatar, but the reason i'd get a line 6 cab is because they're loaded with custom celestion which are voiced as neutral as possible for the vetta's cab models to come through better. don't you like line 6 cabs ? i haven't tried them tbh, but i assume they're good seeing as they use the same speakers int he vetta combo...
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 20, 2008,
if you like the sound of solid state and digital stuff better than valve sound, then go for it. its not for everyone...but if you like the sound of valve amps better, then I think you would be willing to pay the price of switching tubes and all...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I think one of the factors is, that it can be annoying to make a valve amp sounds as good as it can be. Until you buy boutique amps and indeed sometimes even then, there are a few tonal deficiencies that must be made up for with upgrades and mods.... And so many people would rather just not mod their amps.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I think Heughs and Ketner or whatever the **** they're called make one called the Zentera. I stole the name and used it as my XBL account name.
I think this is a good choice. The vast number of different genres you play make this a wise choice, unless you enjoy carrying a different amp for every song! I suspect most people who are against the vetta havent heard one, and are judging line 6 on the spiders, which is unfair.

I knew a local band that used vetta combos live, and it sounded fantastic. I'd stick to the vetta cab too, because others colour the tone too much.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
yeah if the cab is designed to be neutral then i would try it. but then again, might as well try it out with many different cabs.
well a lot of "custom voiced" speakers are usually just cheap speakers from my experience. But i have no idea how the Vetta cabs sound, when i listened to my friend playing a Vetta he was using a marshall cab and it sounded excellent.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
if a valve amp breaks you take it to a tech who prods it, drinks tea and replaces the broken bit

if an SS amp breaks, especially a modeller, you buy a new amp. simple as that.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Tarzan_man
I think Heughs and Ketner or whatever the **** they're called make one called the Zentera. I stole the name and used it as my XBL account name.

Zentera all the way. Here's a german guy comparing the two. I think the zentera wins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSLMYfWzOU

The vetta is a solid amp though.
On a side note, how does the hd147 compare to the vetta?
Quote by MrCarrot
I think one of the factors is, that it can be annoying to make a valve amp sounds as good as it can be. Until you buy boutique amps and indeed sometimes even then, there are a few tonal deficiencies that must be made up for with upgrades and mods.... And so many people would rather just not mod their amps.

true. another thing i noticed about tube compared to SS - modeling, is that it's quite easy to make a tube amp sound like ass if you don't know what you're doing, yet making a (good) modeler sound like ass is much harder. IME anyway.

Quote by Tarzan_man

Hughes and Kettner. yeah i know about the zentera. infact, it's my favourite modeler of all SS ! but it costs a fortune and it doesn't have as much versatilty as the vetta.
one thing i really like about the vetta is the two amps at once mode, which isn't possible on the zentera for example. but it's the best modeler i have ever played (zentera).
Quote by AndyPandy
I think this is a good choice. The vast number of different genres you play make this a wise choice, unless you enjoy carrying a different amp for every song! I suspect most people who are against the vetta havent heard one, and are judging line 6 on the spiders, which is unfair.

I knew a local band that used vetta combos live, and it sounded fantastic. I'd stick to the vetta cab too, because others colour the tone too much.

do you have experience with the vetta cabs ?

Quote by chea_man
yeah if the cab is designed to be neutral then i would try it. but then again, might as well try it out with many different cabs.

yeah, of course. i'm currently looking at celestion lead 80's, that appear to have a very neutral tone aswell. putting a pair of those in an avatar cab is also a possiblity.

Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
well a lot of "custom voiced" speakers are usually just cheap speakers from my experience. But i have no idea how the Vetta cabs sound, when i listened to my friend playing a Vetta he was using a marshall cab and it sounded excellent.

indeed, most of the times 'custom made' or 'voiced' speakers (only found in cheaper amps IME) are cheap, but i don't think the ones in the vetta are cheaper speakers.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if a valve amp breaks you take it to a tech who prods it, drinks tea and replaces the broken bit

if an SS amp breaks, especially a modeller, you buy a new amp. simple as that.

indeed. but it happens much more than a broken (decent !) modeler.

most of the times, yes. but how many times have you encountered broken modelers already, that weren't cheap ones ?
probably not much. i haven't anyway.

Quote by saltysnail
Zentera all the way. Here's a german guy comparing the two. I think the zentera wins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSLMYfWzOU

The vetta is a solid amp though.
On a side note, how does the hd147 compare to the vetta?

yeah, the zentera sounds better.

in the vetta's defence though:
he isn't using the two amps at once function, which would make it sound fatter and fuller.
Armin (the guy's name) has aftermarket software for the vetta's cabs, that sound much better than line 6's (virtual) cabs.

i personally don't know, but i hear the HD147 sounds very tube-like and responds in a similar way.
tbh i havent had an SS, modeler or valve amp break on me

if tube broke all the time, why do all the pros use them if theyre such a liability?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
tbh i havent had an SS, modeler or valve amp break on me

if tube broke all the time, why do all the pros use them if theyre such a liability?

i never said it breaks all the time. but you have to agree that they break more easily than a decent SS/modeler...
I've been really impressed with the sound clips I've heard of the Vetta. In fact, the Vetta is on my long range plan for amps. But I am getting a nice tube amp first.

The Vetta would be perfect for someone in a cover band.
Quote by The red Strat.
i never said it breaks all the time. but you have to agree that they break more easily than a decent SS/modeler...

um i cant agree with that as mine hasnt broke
I agree with you Stevo, but Red Strat has had some bad experience and you know yourself that once you've had a bad experience you're reluctant to go back to something...
Gear in Profile
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
um i cant agree with that as mine hasnt broke

i'm not saying every tube amp breaks, but that tube amps in general break more often than ( decent quality, not the crappy practice amps) SS.

Quote by snearyhead
I agree with you Stevo, but Red Strat has had some bad experience and you know yourself that once you've had a bad experience you're reluctant to go back to something...

indeed.
Good choice..

I recently decided to give up on the whole "collecting gear to get my tone" thing.. I've settled on a nice Spider 3..

Not really. I' saving for a rack setup consisting of a Pod XT/X3 Pro and a valve poweramp (currently undecided) being controlled by an FBV shortboard.

I've also decided to get some of the downloadable packs so I have a very nice selection of tones.

Promise you'll get us some clips when you have it all
Quote by Untitled001
Good choice..

I recently decided to give up on the whole "collecting gear to get my tone" thing.. I've settled on a nice Spider 3..

Not really. I' saving for a rack setup consisting of a Pod XT/X3 Pro and a valve poweramp (currently undecided) being controlled by an FBV shortboard.

I've also decided to get some of the downloadable packs so I have a very nice selection of tones.

DOES NOT COMPUTE
hah red strat, i need to know your secret. how do you get your thread to last for so long haha. i asked pretty good questions sometimes, and i barely get responses, and if i do, there mostly from people who didnt really read my first post so they give me dumb responses, or they just want to pick a fight. so haha, whats your secret?
Quote by chea_man
hah red strat, i need to know your secret. how do you get your thread to last for so long haha. i asked pretty good questions sometimes, and i barely get responses, and if i do, there mostly from people who didnt really read my first post so they give me dumb responses, or they just want to pick a fight. so haha, whats your secret?

to be fair, your threads look quite specific, sadly most UGers are into blazing mettulz, not jazz and RnB, wheras everyone on UG like a bit of SS bashing
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
to be fair, your threads look quite specific, sadly most UGers are into blazing mettulz, not jazz and RnB, wheras everyone on UG like a bit of SS bashing

haha i guess your right. from now on i will just ask about spiders, mgs, and lamb of god haha.
Quote by Untitled001
Good choice..

seems like a solid setup.

sure, though it'll be a long time before i ever get my hands on one.

Quote by chea_man

it doesn't always work well, but i'll PM it to ya
I may get shot down for this, but what about a MFX unit like the Pod Xt Live/pro (or whatever it's called) or maybe a GT-8 and use it through the PA? It would be super portable, super reliable, super versitile and if done right the tone is excellent (as good as the vetta at least).

I think the vetta is a good choice though from what you are saying and i've heard them and they do sound good. However the bit about the difference between the live acceptability and the studio acceptability is true.

Anyway i hope you come to a decision you're happy with as ultimately that's all that is important.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Page 1 of 2