Im looking for a new amp but was wondering could i use a line 6 pod xt live as a pre amp and use a Marshall EL34 50/50 as the power amp and then put that through the cab?

Thanks
How would this work then what do i connect to what, can i also control it all by midi if i get more rack gear?

Also how vintage marshall sounding is the el34 50/50?
Depends if there's a bypass and such on the amp..
either way you can just plug your guitar into the pedal and then to the amp and turn it on a clean channel and bam.

don't know if that marshall is tube or solid state, if tube it'll sound like crap half the time using a multi-effects.
Im assuming you can do the 4 cable method to bypass the amps preamp section?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
The XT Live has Left and Right outputs on it. You simply run an instrument cables from each of those outputs to the respective inputs on the 50/50, and run speaker cables from each of the 50/50's outputs to the speakers. You can run a mono output from the XT Live to one side of the 50/50 and leave the other side off for use if there's a problem with the first side. I can't remeber there being the option to bridge the separate sections and I'm assuming there isn't.

I'm not terribly familiar with the XT Live's Midi capabilities so I can't comment there.

As a power amp the 50/50 is solid (though overpriced in my opinion). It has plenty of headroom and (as with most EL34 based power amps) has a good frequency response curve well suited to a guitar with some accentuation on the high-mids. Being that it doesn't have a vintage Marshall preamp in front of it, it doesn't sound anything like a vintage Marshall. If you can get a good vintage Marshall preamp sound out of the XT Live, then it will sound like a vintage Marshall. It does have a switch that changes the voicing slightly, but your preamp is still going to define what it sounds like.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by TechnicolorType
Depends if there's a bypass and such on the amp..
either way you can just plug your guitar into the pedal and then to the amp and turn it on a clean channel and bam.

don't know if that marshall is tube or solid state, if tube it'll sound like crap half the time using a multi-effects.

Quote by mike.h
Im assuming you can do the 4 cable method to bypass the amps preamp section?

The 50/50 is a rackmount stereo power amp, there is no preamp section.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Yes, this is completely fine. A multi-effects into a tube power amp should be great, and the 4 cable method does not apply here. There shouldnt be anything to control with MIDI on the power amp, but the Pod is controllable. Good luck, that seems like a good set up.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by Kendall
The 50/50 is a rackmount stereo power amp, there is no preamp section.

Oh my bad, I didnt really even read the first post.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
ok im a bit confused now haha. So i can run my guitar into the pod xt live then a cable from left into one of the channels of the 50/50 then a cable from the right to the other channel of the 50/50. And about the vintage pre amp does that mean it would be better if i could maybe get a jmp1 or sometin instead or how much would the pod xt live affect the tone?
Quote by roryp15
How would this work then what do i connect to what, can i also control it all by midi if i get more rack gear?

Also how vintage marshall sounding is the el34 50/50?

All you have to do is output of XT into input of Marshall power amp. And yes you can control it by MIDI if you need to in the future. The EL34 50/50 is a pretty solid sounding power amp, very similair to what is used in the JCM800 2204
so is the el34 50/50 used more for metal cause all the videos on youtube of it being used are metal videos haha, im more of a classic rock man myself.

What about the XT live good pre amp or is it pretty bad?
Quote by roryp15
ok im a bit confused now haha. So i can run my guitar into the pod xt live then a cable from left into one of the channels of the 50/50 then a cable from the right to the other channel of the 50/50. And about the vintage pre amp does that mean it would be better if i could maybe get a jmp1 or sometin instead or how much would the pod xt live affect the tone?

Yeah its a pretty simple thing to do. Either you can go mono or stereo, depending on how many cables and cabs you want to deal with. As far as how much the XT will affect your tone, I would say probably 85% of your tone is going to be coming from the XT. You can get very respectable tones with it, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one you like. As far as the JMP-1 goes, if you aren't completely satisfied with your XT then you can look there if the Marshall sound is what you are after.
Quote by roryp15
so is the el34 50/50 used more for metal cause all the videos on youtube of it being used are metal videos haha, im more of a classic rock man myself.

What about the XT live good pre amp or is it pretty bad?

You could use it for anything you want. It will be relatively transparent, but not completly so, but enough that you'll be able to control most of the tone with the XT. And yes it is a relatively good modelling preamp.
Quote by TechnicolorType
everyones making it alot more confusing then it is.
guitar > pedal > amp

it's that simple.

Notice how the OP asked what outputs and inputs to use? And notice how your "simple" explanation didn't address that at all?
I'm not sure about the marshall, but you setup differently through different amps. Try all suggested setups and see what you like best. The xtl is far superior then the preamps in modeling amps. I've got an SS amp I bypass through cd imput, My PA is the cleanest tone, but I actually like it best with a straight imput through my Valve Junior. The modeling makes the Vj an SS killer.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD