basically - im making a guitar (my first) but i dont have large amounts of money and was hoping to cut a few corners, but i wasn't sure where i could cut corners (in price and amount of work - i'l need to borrow a router so i want to do as little as possible so i can get it done quickly since im running off someones generosity - also, im new to this so i figure keeping it simple will be good for a first time) and keep it a decent quality thing

so basically this is the idea

schaller 3d6 roller bridge (only needs minimal routing, strings dont go through body, no back cavity needed) £37

input jack, fret wire, nut glues £10 ish

1 humbucker in bridge position - probably a seymour duncan 59 or jb. £51

quartersawn maple neck £19

body of solid wood (was hoping for mahogony, but it looking like it'll be too expensive so could do with suggestions) £ - - - ?

decent tuners £30

rosewood board £12

truss £15

strings £5

varnish rather than paint £5

+postage on everything which could be anything - especially for the wood

i think thats pretty much it - no volume, no tone, no pickups switches since theres only one pickup, no excess routing

ive been to a few places looking for wood so i can cut down on shipping but i cant really find anywhere that deals in hardwoods locally, so its going to have to be ordered in.

so, is there anything here that anyone can see that i can get away with not using, or anything that i could get cheaper and not really drop quality? like could i use oak or pine as a wood or something? i imagine that would be pretty cheap compared to other stuff. alternately, is there anywhere i can get cheap wood? ive tried classifieds but its always either not what they say it is or too thin for using, and ive tried junk jards but its usually kept outside so its always wet!

i was going to buy a second hand guitar and do it that way, but i want to do a unique design so thats not really do- able

gonna try ebay aswell bt not got to that yet

thanks everyone
if I were your I would have some tone and volume knobs.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Unless you have a volume pedal, a volume pot is a wise addittion. You can quiet your guitar between songs, ride the knob to back off or turn up distortion...lots of uses there.
Uhm, for a body wood, cheap alternatives are alder or swamp ash, really cheap alternatives are poplar and.... and... p... pu.... plywood....

don't use plywood.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
If I were you, I'd go with the swamp ash, or save up for a mahogany one. The body's not something you want to cut corners with...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
ROFL!! A TREE??? Like one you can make a guitar out of?? First of all it would have to be at least 15 inches thick... that would cost upwards of a thousand dollars!

You buy pieces of pre cut wood for things like this.

Check out www.stewmac.com
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by CobenBlack
how much is a tree?

Green wood = not what you want to be using.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Truth lols. Yeah, CobenBlack, you want kiln dried slabs of wood about 14 x 20 x 1 3/4 inches. Or you can by wood specifically for guitars, called "body blanks". These are sold by many websites, including www.stewmac.com , and the ones from there are thickness planed and sanded and ready for you to make a guitar with.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Dude, get your truss rod from CHGuitars on eBay.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/chguitars

I've got a dual-action No.9 rod from them. It's nothing special, but it's sturdy and will do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aucoustic-and-electric-Guitar-truss-rods_W0QQitemZ130219757777QQihZ003QQcategoryZ42455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I've just received and started work on my fretboard from Craft Supplies. It was £18.50, already slotted and radiused, which is actually a great deal. P&P was steep, but if you get some other stuff from them, you should be okay. Call them too, because most of the stuff is in their catalogue, not on their site!

Check David Dyke out for the wood:

http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

Their P&P is reasonable too, considering the size and weight you're dealing with. When looking through their site, note that prices are EXCLUDING VAT. Still, you could build a guitar from their catalogue alone, without needing another supplier.

Also, Tonetech sell some good-value body blanks. If you want to save money, get a 915x240 blank of alder for £28, then cut it in half to make a two-piece body.

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/

Edit: My main piece of advice is to set yourself a start date, and build time (say, two months from now), then spend your spare time until then planning. Plan everything, and build the guitar up in your head. When you have your parts list down, start buying things in. You won't feel like you're spending loads, and you'll have your stuff all ready to start. DON'T start building until you have every part that you need. Then, when you come to start, you'll have everything planned and rehearsed, and you'll use your time more efficiently.

Also, be sure to invade other build threads and ask any questions you may have. Don't worry about feeling stupid.. hell, we've all asked some ridiculous things in our time, but I can tell you that I've learnt more than I thought I would from the guys here. By that, I don't mean that I expected them to be idiots, but that they've pointed out things that I'd never thought about. Just little things here and there, that could wreck a project.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at May 19, 2008,
thanks everyone - some great advice, and the tree wasn't a serious suggestion to be honest, although it'd be amusing i suppose.

mint sauce, thanks for the long and very helpful reply, theres a few things in there i'll try and do, definately, but i dont understand the idea behind getting a 1 piece and then cutting it in two? it'd still be £28? to be honest i suppose thats not vast amounts of money though, I think i might just have to go for it

cheers everyone!
Quote by CobenBlack
thanks everyone - some great advice, and the tree wasn't a serious suggestion to be honest, although it'd be amusing i suppose.

mint sauce, thanks for the long and very helpful reply, theres a few things in there i'll try and do, definately, but i dont understand the idea behind getting a 1 piece and then cutting it in two? it'd still be £28? to be honest i suppose thats not vast amounts of money though, I think i might just have to go for it

cheers everyone!

It's basically just a wide plank, that you plane and do this with:

Edit: Yeah, £28 for the one blank, then you slice it in the middle of its length. Also, you could use it to make wings for a neck through easily.

It works out cheaper than a two-piece blank that's already cut and thicknessed, and definitely cheaper than a one-piece.
i'd go with poplar... or basswood... both relatively inexpensive and both tried and true woods for guitar building. mahogany is like 30% more than alder in my area but if you buy it from a lumber supplier you can get a decent deal on any type of wood... the kicker is that you have to pay extra to have it planed and jointed... unless you wheel and deal with them. the supplier by me will give me a straight edge for free unless its on like 100 board feet
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
wait wait craft supplies sell maple neck blanks measuring 36" X 4" X 1" for £7, give em a call and you could a get a pre slotted fretboard from them too for about £18
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Poplar is really a better substitute for Alder. Nato is a cheaper form of mahogany (or should be) and sounds pretty decent from my experience.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i hear sapele is a good mahogany replacement too...

EDIT:

OMG!!!!! this is figured sapele... i just found this about 2 seconds ago

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by CobenBlack
thats gorgeous - and yeah, ive looked into the other woods - i think i can get the entire guitars wood for £56. which isn't bad really.

I've literally just ordered mine from Tonetech:

Alder board - £28
Maple bass neck blank - £27

... £55

Doing this stuff on a budget doesn't mean that you have to settle for crap wood!
does nobody listen when i say £7 for a 36" X 4 X 1" maple blank from craft supplies hahaha

people paying nearly £30 for something you can get for £7
haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Wow that's cheap as balls! Well I guess a decent pair of balls isn't really cheap but... Still really good deal.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo