I currently have a Ibanez Destroyer and am looking for somthing better. I am torn between Les Pauls (but the tuners are really crappy and I don't like carved tops), Telecasters (but I want a fat tone) or building my own (but I dont want to spend loads of money on somthing that could be crap).
Any Advice??? Im open to suggestions
I don't really want to spend more than 1000 pounds
What music do you play?

-and what amp do you have?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
lol sorry, I forgot about that part.
Mostly stuff like, Muse, RATM but I do play a bit of metal and in the same sense I play some softer stuff, so I need a pretty versitile guitar.
And I have a Marshall MG100hdfx halt stack, but i dont use the dist on it coz its crap for anything other than Indie. I use a Big Muff, Metal Muff and Zvex Fuzz factory for dist
Cheers
go for a telecaster
i've got a les paul and a tele and i think the tele's more versatile

you can easily get a crunch or a fat sound by jsut turning on the tone knob

but seeing as i only got me tele a few days ago i;m stll porbabaly under it;s influence to give a fair argument, but i would still go for the tele

buttt as te guy ahead said, all depends on music and budget
Quote by jolleymuse
lol sorry, I forgot about that part.
Mostly stuff like, Muse, RATM but I do play a bit of metal and in the same sense I play some softer stuff, so I need a pretty versitile guitar.
And I have a Marshall MG100hdfx halt stack, but i dont use the dist on it coz its crap for anything other than Indie. I use a Big Muff, Metal Muff and Zvex Fuzz factory for dist
Cheers

Trust me. You're better off selling the MG, using 800 or so pounds on a new amp, and 400 or so pounds on a new guitar.

Every time a 1000 pound guitar is played through an MG, Eric Johnson sheds a tear.
HSS Strat, maybe.

+1 to the idea of selling the POS and getting a better amp.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
why trade in a destroyer? i wish i had a destroyer, whenever i see one on ebay i cant afford it
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
I know I'll sound like a total asshole, but I like how your pedals are better than your amp.

There's a quote in somebody's sig that says "Amp before guitar. Unless your guitar is a 2x4 with strings." Needless to say, that description fits.

Also, the tuners on a Les Paul are not crappy by any means.. you must have gotten a crummy one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I know I'll sound like a total asshole, but I like how your pedals are better than your amp.

There's a quote in somebody's sig that says "Amp before guitar. Unless your guitar is a 2x4 with strings." Needless to say, that description fits.

Also, the tuners on a Les Paul are not crappy by any means.. you must have gotten a crummy one.

I know everone hates MG's but im not getting a new amp! and what does anyone thing about building one myself?
and what do any of you think about the dean mkh matt heafy sig??
cheers for the comments evryone
I'm gonna have to say the les paul standard or a Jackson. I hate the tele. Strats are way better and more versatile too. Morello uses that Ibanez strat I think. It has emgs though. Thats why I said jackson. You also have to remember that some rage requires 24 frets
I say don't even attempt building your own til you're more experianced or build it with VERY exact templates/blueprints.

And I say sell the amp. YOu may dislike your tone and assume it's the guitar. It isn't.
^ +1

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Every time a 1000 pound guitar is played through an MG, Eric Johnson sheds a tear.

+1 (and sigged, I need a change! )

how much do you think you could get for your mg halfstack? they go for about £400 new, i think, so you should be able to manage £200 by selling it on. That's £1200.

What I would do, in your situation:

buy a second-hand japanese-made tokai breezysound (their telecaster copy). You can pick those up for a little over £200 if you're willing to go for a newer one, or between £300-£400 for an 80s one (the more sought-after ones, with the "correct" Fender headstock shape- but the newer ones are still nice, by any stretch of the imagination. If you don't like second-hand, maybe look into blade, they're great guitars for the money (any i have tried have been, anyway). They do a telecaster copy at around £350, it's nice.

Next, you could get an edwards or tokai japanese-made les paul copy for around the £500 mark. Even less if you're willing to go second-hand.

That'd leave you somewhere between about £500 and £700 for a new amp. what type of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You guys are all kinda asses rofl. Don't tell him to get a new amp if he's asking for a guitar -.-. I'd get the telecaster, because they look quite unique, and not many companies imitate the shape. I like the telecaster's simplicity
Quote by xCurlyx
You guys are all kinda asses rofl. Don't tell him to get a new amp if he's asking for a guitar -.-. I'd get the telecaster, because they look quite unique, and not many companies imitate the shape. I like the telecaster's simplicity

On UG, people who are right = assholes. 'Tis a universal law. Along with the Amp > guitar law. Which the TS is ignoring.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 19, 2008,
He plays "mainstream" alternative from what i can tell, Muse, RATM.

So I'd suggest a guitar with at least one humbucker.
Bosy wood and pickups are preference but I'd say no actives, nothing too "vinage" sounding and for wood, assuming you don't know loads about what changes tone, alder, basswood, or mahogany.
I assume you'll want 22 or 24 frets too.
Though I'd advise against a trem unles you KNOW it's good quality.

So with this I'd suggest:

Fender highway one Strat HSS.
Ibanez S series (S, SA or SZ)
Blade HSS strat copy
Toaki (or Edwards (or other Japanese copy companies)) Les Paul (or SG I guess)
Or you could order a Carvin guitar (semi-Custom) I got mine for £600, which if you sell your amp, will leave you around £600 for your amp.
With this you can get some pretty good valve amps.

And to re-iterate, a good guitar only sounds good through a good amp.
Quote by xCurlyx

we don't want him to come back in 6 weeks saying, "wargh, you guys told me to blow all my money on a new guitar, when what really would have helped was a new amp, and now i have no money..."

we aren't asses, we're just telling him the truth, which is not necessarily what he wants to hear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, I need a new amp, at some point in the next few years im gonna buy a deizel VH4 but at the mo, im looking at guitars
What does anyone think to the Fender spalted maple HH tele http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=6328 , it looks good and is pretty cheap. which is good coz im prob gonna buy a dean mkh at sum point anyways
Last edited by jolleymuse at May 19, 2008,
i didn't much like the one i tried. it didn't really feel or sound like a tele, and the one i tried had a couple of imperfections as well with the binding etc.

diezels are nice (vh4 is anyway), but you don't necessarily have to jump from a practice amp to a vh4... you could buy a mid-price tube amp which'd be a major step up from your current amp and which would still leave you enough for a new guitar(s)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i didn't much like the one i tried. it didn't really feel or sound like a tele, and the one i tried had a couple of imperfections as well with the binding etc.

diezels are nice (vh4 is anyway), but you don't necessarily have to jump from a practice amp to a vh4... you could buy a mid-price tube amp which'd be a major step up from your current amp and which would still leave you enough for a new guitar(s)...

Once again, Dave's right. You don't have to go from a $500 amp straight to a $3000 amp... why not get a $1000 tube amp in the meantime, especially when it'll improve your tone waaay more than a new guitar? Ah, well, I'll stop now.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of HH Fenders, especially with the stock pickups. Do you know for sure if you're looking for single- coils or humbuckers?
humbuckers preferably and i was thinking of getting that spalted maple tele and putting bare knukle nail bombs in it but i dont know how hard that would be to do?
I like tele shape but not tele sound basicly.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I wish salesmen at shops were like you.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by jolleymuse
humbuckers preferably and i was thinking of getting that spalted maple tele and putting bare knukle nail bombs in it but i dont know how hard that would be to do?

So you're looking for more of a Les Paul sound than a Tele, not a compromise between the two? If you're looking for an LP sound, you need to look for something with a Mahogany body, not Maple, Alder, or Ash, which are the woods Teles are made of.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_diamond_c_1_classic_aa.htm
and
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_studio_black.htm

Would both be good choices, as would one of these:

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at May 19, 2008,
Well.....i have a nice little Peavey Valveking, its tube, and it puts out a hell of a lot of volume for what it is. I have the Peavey Valveking 112, but based on what you're saying, you could probably go for the 212, or the half stack.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I would recommend the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, or even better the Elitist Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Nice guitars, play good and sound good.
Quote by jolleymuse

oh, ok, in that case you might like the spalted maple tele, lol.

changing pickups basically is easy if you know how to solder and follow a wiring diagram, and difficult if you don't. really depends how good your soldering skills are. if you are thinking of changing to bareknuckles, i'd email them for advice on which pickups to go for for the guitar you're getting for the tones you want.

another option would be the blade delta classic, it's also a humbucker-loaded telecaster. I haven't tried it, but i have tried the cheaper blade tele, and it was very nice- presumably that one is even nicer. It's around the £600 mark, which i think is what the spalted maple fender tele goes for.

as a wild card, machinehead are blowing out washburn wi65pros for £239 (inc. delivery to the UK). Assuming they aren't B-stock or something like that, that's a great guitar for the money- comes stock with duncan pickups, buzz feiten tuning system, etc. etc. That'd leave you a lot of money for an amp, or even a second extra guitar (or some pedals).
Quote by jolleymuse
Oh yer and as everyone was saying I needed a new amp, any recomendations??

really depends how much money you have left from the guitar, but i'd look at a laney tt50 combo, orange rocker 30, engl screamer (footswitch is extra though) stuff like that. those are somewhere between about £500 and £800.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?