I often wonder why most Metal guitarists don't play Gibson or maybe Fender guitars but mostly Ibanez, Kramer, Dean...
Could somebody tell me what the advantages of this guitars are, when you play metal?
Basically, the looks and the pickups really. I mean, you don't buy an Ibanez Xiphos and go into a folk jamming session, do you? Those guitars often have EMG pickups, which give a more...metal sound, sort of.
BUT...

It doesn't really matter. I mean, Iron Maiden are vintage metal, and they pretty much only play Strats. So it's a much of a muchness.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Your mindless bashing is adoreable.

Thank you
Most guitarists play those guitars because they are famous and are being -paid- to.

Most guitarists who are too rich to care about a sponsor, or just care about their tone more than money, play Gibson, or, you know, whatever the hell they want.

Honestly, grab a DVD by a band that has studio footage, they're probably not recording with the guitars they play with live.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Well Dean sucks, Kramer are owned by Gibson (correct me if I'm wrong) and Ibanez are much better value.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Gibson necks tend to be fatter than Ibanez necks, and the pickups that come on high-end Ibanez guitars are generally more suited to the type of music. The cutaways on Ibanez guitars are deeper than an LP cutaway. Or maybe they just like Superstrats, MLs, and crazier shapes.
Ibanez pwn.

So do jackson

Ibanez+Jackson= metal as **** guitars
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Because everything is better than Gibson.

+1 trillion

(seriously, i don't like gibson)

by the way the explorer in my sig is an agile.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Yes, Kramer is owned by Gibson, and high end Deans do NOT suck by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that certain brands, Dean for example, build guitars more suited for the metal genre and players.
long story short, their spec is slightly more aimed at metal- more metal pickups, tighter sound for use with high gain, etc. etc.

of course, a bunch of retards also buy them because they "look" metal, which is stupid.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play a kramer, and don't play metal at all. Prog./Blues/Rock
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I'm not a metal guitarist (well in some respects I could be) and I still prefer those guitars to gibsons.

I have an Ibanez, I play Jazz, Blues, "Shred", Pop, Rock, Punk, Metal and other genres (but I don't usually like specifying, too many genres nowadays!).

However if I had a Gibson, I'd play nothing on it. I'd sell it instead!
To me, Gibsons are too much for what you get, and the Les Pauls are just chunky, horrible, heavy guitars. Can't get used to them.
I can think of an alternative to every Gibson guitar that costs less and (the in the recent years of Gibson) are most likely beter.
The only thing I hate about Gibson is the price. I actually like heavy guitars.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Strange. Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) plays with Gibson. Also, Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) plays with Fender strats........ How are they not suited for metal?
Last edited by the spiker at May 19, 2008,
Oh yeah also I have to say, my strat style guitar (carvin) is used for what would be commonly refered to as "metal" a lot (Racer X is being played on it a lot at the moment, trying to learn Scit Scat Wah).
Quote by CT32
Yes, Kramer is owned by Gibson, and high end Deans do NOT suck by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that certain brands, Dean for example, build guitars more suited for the metal genre and players.

Its the same with ibanez. The people who buy the cheap Ibanezs generally don't know what a good guitar is as its usually their first "good one".

Prestige series are what you want to buy really. They don't come with a crappy trems and pups that are dying to be replaced.

ALso Gibsons are way to expensive. they don't have any good guitars in the same price range as a decent Ibanez-DEAN-Kramer
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Thanks for the information!
By the way, I never said that Ibanez, Kramer, Dean... are the only guitars to be played by Metal bands!
Gibsons and Fenders were Extremely Expensive around the time Brands like Ibanez were coming out, so the "Bedroom" Musicians bought them instead, and some of them eventually turned into Famous Musicians, still using Ibanez. as well, Eddie Van Halen popularized the Super Strat Idea, and then Companys like Jackson, Charvel, and Ibanez started producing those in the 80's, Gibson and Fender did as well, just not as many.

at least thats what i read
All in all, it boils down to opinion. I personally like Gibsons (or at least the faded V that I own). It's all a matter of what you like in a guitar. Almost any electric guitar can be used to play metal, so it really just depends what you like more.