CAB 1: (CAB 2 on next page)

So today I finally started the construction of my first (hopefully of a batch of 2) 212 cab.
The aim of this build is to make a decent quality product using only the usual hand held power tools found around the home.

Specs:

-2x Celestion Vintage 30 8 ohm in series (i may upgrade the connectors later to give more connection choices, eg use one speaker for guitar amp and the other for synth/fx)

-Approx 26"x15"x10"
-18mm Birch ply

the speakers:

Day 1

Today I managed to draw out all the shapes to be cut from the 4'x4' piece of ply wood. I sort of made up the design as I drew it, but it looks ok as far as I can tell.
Would have done it using CAD, but CBA.

Also managed to cut out the largest pieces; top, bottom, sides & front:

I did this using a small electric Jigsaw, so the edges arent exactly very straight. I'm going to have to sort this out tomorrow.

Day 2

Finished all the cutting and got started on planing the edges and checking that they're square. No pics today, it doesn't look very interesting at the moment.

Also, I still need to order something to cover the speakers + wires/cables, anyone have any recommendations for places to buy (in uk)?.

Day 3

Finished all the planing, for now at least. Also did the rebates for the joints in the top & bottom panels using a router (see pics). I only did this for 3 of the corners as I made a drawing error and cut one of the sides 9mm too short, so one corner will probably end up being weaker than the rest.

Day ............... (lost track of time )

Well all the parts are now done and ready to be put together. The problem is I don't have any equipment capable of securely holding something this large!!

I had to move the side handles back 1/2" an inch to stop them colliding with the speakers, this was after I had already moved the front panel forwards by 1". (note to self: make sure design works before building it!)

Day 8

Made lots of progress today. All the main parts are assembled and I'm ready to start on fitting the vinyl. It was pretty difficult to get the corner joints together right but, by using 2 work benches and a load of bricks I got it done.

^The cab as it is at the moment.

Tasks for tomorrow:
-Wallpaper (yes, WALL PAPER!!! WITH FLOWERS!!! BR00T4L ) onto the front panel
-Mark out the vinyl for cutting
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Sep 2, 2008,
Some time later...

Well the cab is basically complete now, I still need to get some corners and some speakers grilles and finish the back, but it's now in a usable state . It feels very sturdy, but looks badly finished, mostly because I'm a n00b at fitting vinyl.

Before Speakers^

After Speakers^

Now to get started on cab No. II
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Jun 9, 2008,
updated.

Please feel free to comment and crit.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Looks good. How much were the speakers??

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
i will be keeping up to date with this, and if it is similar to what i want to do i will copy you
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
God luck, Vintage 30s are brilliant.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Updated

Quote by stussy<>punk
Looks good. How much were the speakers??

£48 each
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

So, first update for a while. I had to make some adjustments to the design to get the speakers to fit.

Still looking for grilles/cloth to cover the cones.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

bump/update
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by LP Addict
hopefully this is an open-back cabinet?

It is, at the moment anyway. Actually I have a question about that, will closing up the back give me more bass? I was just playing through the cab with my tiny terror (which i'd never used before) and it sounded fairly thin. I'm not sure if it's just the amp though.

Anyways, *updated*
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Looks really good mate

I am a real noob at this, and i have a really stupid question. The piece of wood the speakers are on isnt right at the front, but a little way back. How do you do this bit?

Just more pics would be helpful
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
when i did it i got 4 batons, glued them a way back inside the 'box' bit, so it made a place that would hold a piece of ply, then screwed the baffle (where the speakers are mounted) onto them
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
when i did it i got 4 batons, glued them a way back inside the 'box' bit, so it made a place that would hold a piece of ply, then screwed the baffle (where the speakers are mounted) onto them

that makes sense

thanks
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
Haha cool but you should put some kind of grill on it IMO.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I was thinking of doing something like this, two questions brOOtalz flower loving friend:
1) How bad is the mid spike on the V30s?
2)Where did you get those handles from and how much were they?
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Quote by rockdan101
I was thinking of doing something like this, two questions brOOtalz flower loving friend:
1) How bad is the mid spike on the V30s?
2)Where did you get those handles from and how much were they?

Ive never tried these speakers, but I have heard rave reviews of them, and they are Warehouse Speakers. They do a V30 Clone that apparently gets rid of the mid spike. Basically just improving the original speaker in general. And they are really cheap. Im seriously considering importing a pair from the US, as I have not seen one bad review. Hopefully they are cheap enough to avoid import tax.

Also, how would you attach the grill to your cabinet?
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
I was thinking of getting celestion g12k-100s which are supposed to be similar to v30s but with out the mid-spike.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Can anyone recommend a speaker which is more bassy than the v30, with barely any mids?
I'm thinking of removing one the v30s to use in my next project and I'd like something to make it sound a bit fuller.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

i can tell you that my G12H's sound awesome

not sure about frequency response, but they are DARN good to my ears
lol@u
Update:

Cab 1 is now finally complete with some chunky metal corners and speaker grilles. I had to cut the grilles slightly to fit but fortunately they look ok. I forgot to keep taking pictures, sorry about that!

Cab 2 is also nearing completion; it's quite a different design to No.1 and also a fair bit bigger. The quality of this design is much higher due to different corner joints, the closed back nature of this design and of course the experience i gained from building Cab 1. Cab 2 will be fitted with a pair of Celestion G12T-75's tomorrow, I shall try and get some pics before I put the back on it.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
It is, at the moment anyway. Actually I have a question about that, will closing up the back give me more bass? I was just playing through the cab with my tiny terror (which i'd never used before) and it sounded fairly thin. I'm not sure if it's just the amp though.

Anyways, *updated*

Closed back should give you more bass, but you'd need to port it and perhaps insulate it. The dimensions of the cab also become more important with a closed back.
Quote by CrowLord
Nice, id like to see pics of both cabs please

Here:

Finished Cab 1:

Back of cab 1:

New stronger joint design used on cab 2:
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

I used a Router with a 9mm tool (thats 1/2 the thickness of the plywood), set it to cut 9mm deep and then clamped a straight piece of wood x*+18 mm from the edge to guide the router. For the top piece of wood I did the same but located the guide x+9mm from the edge. I then glued on the inner layers and assembled it with screws and glue.

*where x = the distance from the edge of the router tool to the straight edge of the router base.

Hope you can understand that, ill make some diagrams if anyone's interested.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

^ Dado joints like that are quite strong. It could also be done with a table saw or radial arm saw if you have a dado blade.
Finally, Cab 2 is complete! (well, except for speaker covers, which I may add at a later date)

Just put the speakers in:

All wired up, just about to close the back up:

Back before vinyl:

After vinyl:

Finished Cab with corners, feet and handles:
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

that looks great

is the hole at the back for porting?

how does it sound in comparison to the first one?
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
Yea, that hole is for porting. It sounds pretty good, not as smooth as the first one but more clarity across the whole frequency range, especially the bass. The speakers haven't even broken in yet so it should get even better. I reckon it's going to be a good match for the Vox AD100VTH its going to be used with.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab