Im looking for an amp with amazing distortion with the EMG 81/85's. I play Heavy Metal and Acoustic. No budget. If you need any more information please ask.

Looking into these amps. Havent played any of em but have heard sound samples of them. Also since most of these amps are tube amps with like 100 watts on em would i have to crank them to get the best sound out of them or are they good at low volumes too?

1 Framus Cobra
2 Bogner Uberschall
3 Engl Fireball
4 Mesa Trem-O-Verb
5 Mesa Rect-O-Verb
6 Krank Krankenstein
7 Engl Blackmore
8 Rivera Knucklehead

in that order, what do you guys think of these amps. This is pretty much what im going to be looking into for the rest of the year till i completly decide. wish i didnt live a half hour from guitar center and not be able to drive

any other good heavy metal amps please post here!
For me Uberschall all the way. It blows all those other amps away, but some of them might be more versatile (ie more channels).
Here are some Uberschall samples in crappy Youtube quality:

Playing Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno (shorter version) at bedroom volume.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVojq-l6XQ

Iced Earth - Travel in Stygian at slightly louder volume
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8kD79zUHB4

Playing about 3 songs on high volume. Made this 2 hours after I bought it and didn't do much about the settings. So its not the best tone to get out of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx7GuTtItY

One of the best sounds I got out of it as of yet (gain maxed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZnnwbXqT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB5kXdA82g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0phvaywm64

I did my first gig with it last weekend and I should get a few vids of it soon.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
5150 or 6505 from Peavey would be good choices. A Mesa/Boogie Dual or Triple Rec both have great distortion. The new Marshall Kerry King head might be a good thing to look in to.
You are definitely hitting the high end on most of those amps. You left out Hughes & Kettner Triamp. You'd probably be happy with any of these.
Guitar & Bass
engl powerball is probably a better choice than the fireball and probably more versatile than the blackmore
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
5150's are good budget choices
but the amps you listed blow them away
add an ENGL Powerball, a Krank Rev+ and a Diezel Herbert
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
If you're really gunna use EMG's, maybe you wanna get a solid state head.

The EMG's in my Jackson sound like balls through my Mesa, and somewhat less ball through my Peavey Transtube.

You should look at another Mesa other than a Dual or Trip... or any of them. Looks like you just made a big list of boutique amps so you look cool or something...
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Out of those listed, I would opt for the Uberschall.

However Hosscat has an excellent suggestion with the Triamp. It'll do pretty much everything.

I'm woefully surprised to see that nothing from Diezel or Soldano is on your list. The Herbert is the heaviest amp I've ever played with and the SLO is the best sounding I've ever played with.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by HavokStrife

really?
from my experience and what i've heard, Active pickups go much better through tube amps. If you use them on a solid state you just get a bunch of clipping because the EMG's drive the amp too hard.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Here's a quick little list for you.

Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Ecstasy
Brunetti 059
Brunetti XLR Evo
Cameron CCM-100
Diamond Spec Op
Diamond Nitrox
Diamond Phantom
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore
Engl Savage
Engl Invader
Engl E670 SE
EVH 5150 III
Framus Dragon
Framus Cobra
Fuchs Viper
Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkII
Laboga Mr. Hector
Laboga Annihilator
Laney VH100R
Laney GH100L
Mesa/Boogie Road King
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Mesa/Boogie Roadster
Mesa/Boogie Stiletto
Meteoro MHA2000
Meteoro MAK3000
Peavey 6505/6505+
Peavey Ultra +
Peavey JSX
Rivera Knucklehead Reverb
Rivera K-Tre (knucklehead tre)
Rivera KR-7
Soldano SLO100
Soldano Decatone
VHT Sig X
VHT Pitbull UL
VHT Pitbull CL-X
VHT Deliverance

There's off the top of my head the list of amplifiers you should look into if you have no budget and play metal.
Out of the amps you listed, the Uberschall is the best (imo). But you have some huge price gaps between some of those amps, the Uberschall being the most expensive, all the way down to the Fireball and 2 Mesas that are in the ~$1300 range.

The Framus is also another great sounding amps, but their build quality is less than great. Bogner make a very solid amp.

Engls are basically a computer inside and aren't as easy to repair as other tube amps, but are still sturdy and much won't go wrong with them. If you're willing to pay for a Bogner, I'd look at the Powerball, Invader or maybe even the SE instead.

The Rect/Trem-O-Verbs are good sounding amps, nice cleans and distortion, but again, if you're willing to spend that much cash, you should be looking at Mark IVs and Roadkings.

Krank are very well built, but their sound is an aquired taste. I suggest you talk to Erock503 before you go try one of these out and he'll let you know how to use it before hand. With these, be looking at the + series instead of the regular ones, they're much better.

Rivera make some really nice sounding amps. Great distortion with Fender cleans, really can't go wrong with any Knucklehead.

Things I'd also look into:

VHT Pittbulls and the new SigX
Diezel anything
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I would add the Roadster to your list as well. It's a bit more flexible than the Trem-o/Recto Verb's, and is a little simpler than the Roadking. But if your budget it truly unlimited, the Roadking is very versatile.
Kramer: 85 Baretta, 84 Pacer Imperial, 85 Pacer Imperial
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
MXR: Distortion III, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, 10 Band EQ, DC Brick
Quote by HavokStrife

The EMG's in my Jackson sound like balls through my Mesa, and somewhat less ball through my Peavey Transtube.

You should look at another Mesa other than a Dual or Trip... or any of them. Looks like you just made a big list of boutique amps so you look cool or something...

Theres only a few select SS amps that handle emgs and even then at high volumes if you using emgs the amp will start clipping alot sooner. Its best to use emgs with tubes and not SS amps.
get a mesa boogie though,i own a mesa boogie express 5:25,even that the distortion is sufficient for me to play megadeth,it has those 5 watt switch to 50 watts switch.5 watts switch has a better clean in my opinion,i could pull off little wing quite close to original jimi hendrix's.if you're aiming for a higher price go for dual or triple rectifier.
Go peavey 6505, Bogner Ubershall, or, even better than those 2: The Fender 5150III
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by gtrplyr

Looking into these amps. Havent played any of em but have heard sound samples of them. Also since most of these amps are tube amps with like 100 watts on em would i have to crank them to get the best sound out of them or are they good at low volumes too?

A tube amp will sound best when cranked with what you want (metal). And just know that 100watts is LOUD. even 50watts is frickin loud especially you play through an efficient speaker.

May I ask what your using it for? cos to get a good cranked tone in your bedroom for instance, 30watts is probably going to be too loud.

Just a thought...
Randall MTS series RM100M with Ultra, Clean, and Plexi modules. I've played one with those same modules and it's an insane amp.

Also, add the Peavey JSX to the list. It's not quite as boutique as most of the others you mentioned, but IMO it's still an amazing amp.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by HavokStrife

Are you serious.....
Dude...
Don't give advice unless you have a fair understanding of what the topic is.

I've heard great things about the new 5150's to, might want to go check those out.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Last edited by howey at May 21, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
Here's a quick little list for you.

Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Ecstasy
Brunetti 059
Brunetti XLR Evo
Cameron CCM-100
Diamond Spec Op
Diamond Nitrox
Diamond Phantom
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore
Engl Savage
Engl Invader
Engl E670 SE
EVH 5150 III
Framus Dragon
Framus Cobra
Fuchs Viper
Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkII
Laboga Mr. Hector
Laboga Annihilator
Laney VH100R
Laney GH100L
Mako MkII
Mesa/Boogie Road King
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Mesa/Boogie Roadster
Mesa/Boogie Stiletto
Meteoro MHA2000
Meteoro MAK3000
Peavey 6505/6505+
Peavey Ultra +
Peavey JSX
Rivera Knucklehead Reverb
Rivera K-Tre (knucklehead tre)
Rivera KR-7
Soldano SLO100
Soldano Decatone
Splawn Nitro
Splawn Quckrod
VHT Sig X
VHT Pitbull UL
VHT Pitbull CL-X
VHT Deliverance

There's off the top of my head the list of amplifiers you should look into if you have no budget and play metal.

Great list, but just thought I'd add those in there.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
heavy metal amp with no budget, i wish i was you... anyway, ones i know are supposed to be good, and sound good on samples are things like, Soldano SLO100 (supposed to be one of the best amps ever), Rivera knckleheads and kr-7, mesa mark IV, bogner uberschall, deizel's etc. Im just reinforcing other peoples suggestions, IMO, id go for the mark IV, lamb of god tones are some of the best sounds iv heard in my life.
But if theres no budget watsoever, i dunno, pay a brand to build a custom amp for you!
No budget? go to a botique store and see what you like.

After a certain price range it really all comes down to personal preferance with these botique amps. I'm a splawn aficiando personally
As far as boutiques go for metal, Larry amps are top notch. Prepare to pay an arm and a leg tho
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I personally think emg's sound best through a Randall...I love the tone of Kataklysm..and its a Randall T2 I cant imagine the tone of a v2 w/ 2 Vader 212 cabs, w/ a emg setup it would be sick
"God in His heaven, and alls right with the world"-Browning
Bogners and ENGLs are probably your best bet. Bogners are possibly worth more in the long run and will give you a more distinct tone, btu theyre more expensive. Id go for a Powerball. I wouldnt get a dual rec unless youre going to push it with a lot of stuff. Theyre really generic sounding.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
The Rivera Knucklehead are mother****ing killer amps. But they are loud as hell, at 2 my ears were ringing.
Quote by Local666Union
The Rivera Knucklehead are mother****ing killer amps. But they are loud as hell, at 2 my ears were ringing.

That's hardly a convincing argument, every 100w+ tube amp will be loud as hell
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower