Page 1 of 2
Hello There.

Apparently my dad got an offer for his job working part time at chrysler. They're giving something like a 30K relocation bonus, plus a full time job. The only downside to this is that we're in Indiana.

He's talked to me about it, but I've never really known anyone from the area. I'm not sure right now where in California we'd be heading to though.

I was just wondering what any UGers from the state (preferably around the larger cities, as I assume that's where we'd end up) have to say about it. In Peru, Indiana, I'm used to small town settings. Obviously I'd be going into a larger city and all, and next year's only my sophomore year of high school.

In one sense I want to stay because of friends, but in another I feel musically I'd have more options, and educationally more options. Besides, I'm practically the only guitarist at my school

Anyway, just looking for opinions...

EDIT: It will be in the San Francisco area.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Last edited by Td_Nights at May 19, 2008,
Aw you pretty lucky musicaly speaking, because I'm stuck down in Bloomington, and you get to go to California, anyway you can always talk to your friends in Indiana.
you should have a blast man. Best of luck
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
yeah you will have more options musically speaking in CA. trust me, you will find new friends, and you can still talk to your old buddies.
I live Southern California so I can give you a little taste of what it's like.

If you live in a larger city, then high school will take some drastic adjustment. Upside: tons of people, so there's a diverse amount of people you can meet. Downside: tons of f**kin people.

I've also heard that people over here have more attitude. I haven't noticed because I've lived here all my life, but some friends from up north have told me that. So I guess you should prepare for that.

If you're used to the small-town feel, there ARE some places like that. I just don't know of any that have Chrysler dealerships...

It will be quite a change for you, but California is pretty f**kin awesome.
Coming from a fellow Hoosier, AND a current freshman, I can understand where you're coming from. All I can say man is to try as best as you can to keep in touch with your friends here; the internet is probably the best way of keeping in touch. And you could probably ask your dad if you could come back and visit sometime. Just keep positive man. Oh, and you'll be extremely tan to make all your friends jealous. haha.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
i havent lived there for a while but i remeber it well, it is very hot in the desert, also extremly cold, when it rains it does so fgor a very long while (three or so days of huge drops long while out there), the beach area is very nice, not the beach itself they are dirty and disgusting but the housing next to it is just perfect the crisp air, the nice breezes, its paradise, hollywood aint so nice for the record , only he rich people live well, everyone else is like the rats
Quote by deknisely
Coming from a fellow Hoosier, AND a current freshman, I can understand where you're coming from. All I can say man is to try as best as you can to keep in touch with your friends here; the internet is probably the best way of keeping in touch. And you could probably ask your dad if you could come back and visit sometime. Just keep positive man. Oh, and you'll be extremely tan to make all your friends jealous. haha.

That's one of the things I'm worried about. I have sensitive skin, I burn reeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyy easily...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Well, you're in luck, because I'm originally from small-town Indiana (Bedford), and now live in Los Angeles.

I, personally, love it. You of course have to like cities to like LA, but if you do, it's a great city. Great city. Not Chicago, but it's great. There's theatre and music and food and film and culture...it's probably the most diverse city in the country...it's like a different city every three miles. It's wonderful.

I've also spent some time in San Francisco, and that's also a killer place to live. All the benefits of LA, but less smog. On the downside, it's a lot colder, even in the summer.

I have many friends from San Diego, and they all speak very highly of it.

If you find out exactly where you're going and are curious, I'm sure I can find someone from there and pass on some pointers. And feel free to get back to me if you find you're coming to the City of Angels.
Can't stop the signal.
Quote by Td_Nights
That's one of the things I'm worried about. I have sensitive skin, I burn reeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyy easily...

haha, same here actually. just start out with a pretty high SPF sun block for a week or so, then gradually go down.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
Quote by search49
Well, you're in luck, because I'm originally from small-town Indiana (Bedford), and now live in Los Angeles.

I, personally, love it. You of course have to like cities to like LA, but if you do, it's a great city. Great city. Not Chicago, but it's great. There's theatre and music and food and film and culture...it's probably the most diverse city in the country...it's like a different city every three miles. It's wonderful.

I've also spent some time in San Francisco, and that's also a killer place to live. All the benefits of LA, but less smog. On the downside, it's a lot colder, even in the summer.

I have many friends from San Diego, and they all speak very highly of it.

If you find out exactly where you're going and are curious, I'm sure I can find someone from there and pass on some pointers. And feel free to get back to me if you find you're coming to the City of Angels.

Oh, cool. Thanks.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I can't begin to tell you how envious I am of you.

And by the way, since you're only becoming a sophomore, and you want more options available to you in music and guitar, I just thought I'd give you some advice: Learn to play Classical or Jazz style. Both genres are great for school, and California has some really good music schools.
Quote by The Madcap
I can't begin to tell you how envious I am of you.

And by the way, since you're only becoming a sophomore, and you want more options available to you in music and guitar, I just thought I'd give you some advice: Learn to play Classical or Jazz style. Both genres are great for school, and California has some really good music schools.

Do you know the names of any certain schools you'd recommend? I'd like to look into them sometime.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
go to california
get fake boobs
take pics
post them on the internet

But seriously California is pretty sick man, just make sure you aren't moving into Sacremento Valley
also thee is a car chase everyday on the news, its actually a great past time to see how long people last on the chase,
i love every minute of california especially socal man you got the border right there where you can party at 18 and drink and eat some tacos at 2 a.m. what else oh yeah the beach chicks in bikinis all the time. its the best
california is pretty ****in sweet. but then again, i've lived here my whole life and don't really have anything to compare it to.

basically anywhere in cali you live, you won't have to travel far for anything. i live 15 min from disneyland, 20 min from the beach, 30 min from snowy mountains, an hour from hollywood and LA, etc. and as for the whole sunburn thing, it's not going to be that big of an issue. it's typically about 75 degrees where i live, regardless of seasons, except for the occasional heat wave or rain storms. you can always sit in the shade and gradually expose yourself a little more.

california is basically 3-4 different states smashed into one, mostly northern cali and the bay area vs. southern cali and LA. showdownnnn.

let us know the area you're moving to when you find out, because, as it is, you could be going just about anywhere (snow/desert/beach/urban/rural, etc.)

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at May 19, 2008,
California. The land of nuts and fruits.
My brother lives there. When I visit him my happiest moment is when I leave. But don't take it too personally if you live there I can't much stand anyplace with a population over 10.
Good luck Td.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I envy you. I have been in Indiana for damn near a decade and I can't wait until my chance to get out comes.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
with an achin', in your heart?

(refer to thread title)
Quote by fosho
how....did you find that wiki article?
youre a weird one tjdjr09

Quote by tjdjr09
with an achin', in your heart?

(refer to thread title)

theres a gril out there with flowers... in her hair
beautiful song
California sun has sunk
Behind the Anaheim Hills, here comes the night
I was high on junk
And the warm winds of Santa Ana feel alright
-Rancid

... to keep with the theme
i can see Anaheim Hills out my window. Tim Armstrong is stalking me

My mind is going. I can feel it.
i live about an hour from san francisco, and it's a good place to live definitely.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
IN N OUT is teh ownorzeorz.

But seriously.......................

In N Out is great.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Smoke your stuff and drink all your wine. If California is as good as that song makes me imagine, I wana go there too lol.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by Froddy
Smoke your stuff and drink all your wine. If California is as good as that song makes me imagine, I wana go there too lol.

it probally was when the song was written and recorded, unfortunatly time decays, legends and california is no longer the legend it once was, pop princess made it happen too
California is really great. I used to live there and spent my childhood there. Then we moved to another continent. Damnit, you don't know how much I miss California. Even if I were just a little kid, it was play outside with neighbors, go to the beach and primary school where i had 3 of my best friends that I believe I they would've been dear friends if I grew up with them a little longer.
Fun times
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
california is a very nice place, and honestly probally one of the safest places to live (not jokeing) kids can run around with little or no worries, the only place where there is trouble is the bigger cities where there are bad neighborhoods nad alot of violence
*note* i did not specify race or religon nor did i specify identity so you cannot take this the wrong way
i've lived in the San Francisco bay area my whole life. lots to do but kinda bored with it already. should be really fun for a teenager from the midwest though. have fun. though your dad should be worried. pretty much EVERY one here is on some type of drug. legal or not. just keep your head on strait and you'll do alright. and like some of the other people on this thread have mentioned, it's pretty diverse in the cities. so enjoy it, dont be a jack ass like a lot of other transplants. ;-) oh and google this **** so you have a little more basic info....
San Fransisco is probably one of the nicest and prettiest parts of California. Have fun having a better living location than me.
Page 1 of 2