Where do I start? I will spend anything on a good one. Ive been playing electric for 5 years and really like the sound of acoustics. Where should I start looking? I want a paintjob on it i dont really like the wooden looking guitars. i would like a black finish on it I just completly hate that wooden look. No pickguard!!! For the inlays I would like dots. Also would like a pretty normal headstock. Seagul and ovation are not normal (those things are so ugly). Sound and looks is all that matters to me, price is not an option. Anything else you need to know please ask. Thanks!

Ive done some serious researching and I cant find anything ive been to gibson, fender, ibenez, seagull, martin, taylor... nothing. Its like finding the love of your life... Ill find it eventually right? Theres one out there for everyone...
guitar center.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Well, thats pretty specific tbh. But i think Ibanez has one like that, altho it might have a black pickguard on a black body. There may be an acoustic custom shop some place, maybe look on the Ed Roman website. He does custom stuff, and has some pretty remarkable guitars already made as well.

EDIT: Heres a few to check out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-AF107-Series-2-Ash-Top-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=517726

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SST-STUDIO-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513298

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Performer-ME-Venetian-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513299

these are all kinda mid-priced, but they shouldnt be too bad.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at May 19, 2008,
i wish i got a baby taylor, before my seagull..

but the sound that comes from it, is sharp, bright and warm. plus if your a fat handed twat like me, it serves its purpose with a wider fret board

electric - epiphone les paul + MicroCube
acoustic - Seagull s6
A guitar isn't going to sound or play any better just because it's black and had round inlays.

Just sayin... you should be asking about wood types, not colours.
No pickguard... that's pretty hard to manage, unless you get the pickguard removed after the fact. You'll probably have to have a luthier do it, if you try it yourself you might damage the finish. That said, the pickguard on an acoustic is there for a good reason. Would you really mind a black pickguard on a black guitar? There are many manufacturers who use black pickguards.

You sound pretty picky. You said price was no object, so why not have one custom built?
Quote by confusius
Just sayin... you should be asking about wood types, not colours.

An absolutely correct advice. I mean, who would buy a car just based on color and some accessories, for example?

Is it just me, or is this sticked thread often ignored by the very people who should be looking at it first and foremost?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075

TS, no offense, but before you go any further you should check this thread out if, as you say, you have no idea where to start. If you've narrowed down your specs and/or looking for something a bit more high-end, then by all means speak up, as a lot of people would be willing to help you out afterwards.
Also, ditto what confusius said. It doesn't sound as though you've done a lot of research on sound because you're thoroughly preoccupied with looks. In case you're not aware (sorry to sound preachy if you are), an acoustic gets no help from amps, pedals, etc. If you have an acoustic with sh*tty tone and volume, it will ALWAYS have sh*tty tone and volume, and there will be no effects or equipment you can buy to help make up for it.

Instead, an acoustic's sound is determined by these factors: wood type, wood quality, quality of construction, shape of the body. These variables all have an effect on an acoustic's tone, projection, and sustain. There can be huge differences in sound between two guitars of different makes and models. Even two guitars of the same make and model can sound different. With acoustics, wood and quality is everything.

You should play as many different wood combos as you can get your hands on to see what type of tone you prefer - boomy and bassy? warm and mellow? crisp and punchy? sparkling and bright? Some types of wood resonate hugely with little force and are well suited to fingerpicking, but will lose tonal integrity if driven hard with enthusiastic strumming. If you intend on using it for performance, especially if you're playing with a band, you're going to want something loud (though most would recommend getting an acoustic-electric for this purpose). An acoustic with bad build quality, no matter what kinds of woods it uses, will sound muffled and dead so beware of brands that build for looks rather than sound.

Regardless of what the guitar looks like, you should not settle for anything less than a solid top, and try to get solid back and sides too if you can afford it (it's considerably more expensive). I'm assuming you're looking at dreadnought body styles, but I'd recommend that you try out a few jumbos to how you like them. Since you don't have a price limit, play everything you can get your hands on at the store, you never know what you'll fall in love with. Or, as I suggested above, have one custom built to your specifications.
Last edited by sunshowers at May 19, 2008,
Quote by sunshowers
No pickguard... that's pretty hard to manage, unless you get the pickguard removed after the fact. You'll probably have to have a luthier do it, if you try it yourself you might damage the finish.

BS. Removing a pickguard is EASY.

TS, Alvarez AD60 comes in black IIRC, and its a great guitar.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
BS. Removing a pickguard is EASY.

TS, Alvarez AD60 comes in black IIRC, and its a great guitar.
Well, I stand corrected about removing the pickguard then.

But nix the AD60 - it doesn't have the round dot inlays he wants.
I gotta say, with no vague price even your gunna get a lot of mixed answers. You will get a lot of crap like posted before. I mean seriously, a $200 rogue acoustic-electric? Good luck getting a good tone out of that!

And now that people have gotten me started.
That thin bodied epiphone. You will not get a good sound out of that. if it has a good pickup you might be able to get a good sound plugged in, but looking at the price there isn't much chance of it having a decent pickup. The other epiphone is made out of all laminate (notice how nowhere in the description does it say 'solid maple' or 'solid mahogany'?) and will therefore sound crap.

Similar thing for that Taylor. wonderful guitar but its not really an acoustic. The thing is basically the size of an electric. You cant just sit around playing that wherever you feel like going and it wont give you that proper acoustic sound when its unplugged. Its all the physical limitation.

Also, Fender acoustic's aren't great either.

Your also probably a bit beyond the "what guitar for $300" thread if price isn't an issue.

And your cosmetic requirements are fairly exact and it looks like you might be struggling to find exactly what you want. Sound is obviously the most important thing so I'd go for that over looks. You can get black guitars and sunburst guitars but theyre fairly scarce. The main option I can think of is the black Alvarez AD60. It's a nice guitar i know that. There are a few more out there but your lmited. And pretty much everything will come with a pickguard, but theyre easy to take off.
alrite i guess you guys have changed me ill try and get my parents to take me to guitar center, ive been begging for a week... also how do i know a good sound? will it just come to me? cuz all the acoustics ive played sound pretty good...
Quote by sunshowers

But nix the AD60 - it doesn't have the round dot inlays he wants.

The hell does he want dots for? Sure if its between two very similar guitars and he picks the one with dots, but why rule out great guitars just because they don't have dots, seems a bit daft to me.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
The hell does he want dots for? Sure if its between two very similar guitars and he picks the one with dots, but why rule out great guitars just because they don't have dots, seems a bit daft to me.

I don't know, don't ask me - he's the one who wouldn't even look at any guitar that is a) not black, b) has a "weird" headstock, or c) doesn't have round dot inlays.

But seems like we've gotten to him and he's willing to consider the guitar's sound now.
Quote by gtrplyr
alrite i guess you guys have changed me ill try and get my parents to take me to guitar center, ive been begging for a week... also how do i know a good sound? will it just come to me? cuz all the acoustics ive played sound pretty good...

Seriously, just give us a maximum price already. You first said that "money is no object," then you said that you've had to beg your parents for a ride to the guitar store, which leads me to believe that it's not your money that's being spent, it's your parents' money, which almost certainly means that money IS an object. So what is your price range?

I don't know how one knows the difference between good sound and bad sound, it's like a blind person asking a seeing person to describe a rainbow. We could go on for days about what a great guitar should sound like, but it'll be pointless if you can't hear the difference for yourself. My only suggestion for you is to keep playing different guitars until you CAN hear the difference. If you've played every guitar in the store and still can't tell a $4000 Taylor from a $300 Fender, you're going to need some help getting steered in the right direction, and it's going to be really hard to steer you towards the best guitars in your price range if we have no idea what your price range is.
try an ibanez aeg10 or aeg8 acoustic-electric guitar with black finish.. it has no pickguard.. has pearl dot inlays.. although it's only a laminated top guitar.. but for the price and the quality, you can't beat it.. try it if a store near you sells it..
Quote by deltacross
try an ibanez aeg10 or aeg8 acoustic-electric guitar with black finish.. it has no pickguard.. has pearl dot inlays.. although it's only a laminated top guitar.. but for the price and the quality, you can't beat it.. try it if a store near you sells it..

Yes you can beat it! Well and truly!
For the price you can get MUCH better. Please read the thread on "what guitar for under $300". Also, as I think I already outlined, putting price aside, the quality control is TERRIBLE on Ibanez's. There are plenty of threads around her with info on the issues with them and going into depth about why Ibanez's do not represent good value for money or good quality.
Somebody should make a T-shirt with the imprint "Friends don't let friends buy Ibanez acoustics" and sell it here. I'm sure that would be a hit for at least a while.
Quote by TokyoNeko
Somebody should make a T-shirt with the imprint "Friends don't let friends buy Ibanez acoustics" and sell it here. I'm sure that would be a hit for at least a while.

Hahaha. Yeah that would be good. It's tempting to write it on a guitar, Alice in Chains style and post a picture of it.