Page 1 of 2
i'm starting this thread to ask all of you UG'ers out there to give me a review of their GIBSON guitar and what they think of them versus non gibson guitars if they have others i'm interested in getting one
i've got a metallic blue mexican stratocaster and a fender frontman 15G amp
o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wat
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O
what was that?
I have two Gibsons. A les paul classic and a les paul special. they're both amazing, and beat the hell out of my ibanez, and my friend's strat. im also going to be getting an SG standard soon
MY GEAR!!

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Gibson Les Paul Special
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Head
Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Rectifier Slant Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss Giga Delay
Boss Flanger
Monster Cables
    you can't really go wrong with a Gibson. Some opinions may differ but I think all the guitars they put out are good. Some may not be affordable but they are good quality. Any Les Paul, SG, Flying V, or explorer you get will be good. Now let me remind you that Epiphone is Gibsons secondary corp. they are good also. If you are thinking of getting a Les Paul think about getting an Epiphone they are just as good and half the price.
    Quote by Demonikk
    +1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
    PRS SE Custom
    Jay Turser Strat
    Classic 30
    Effects
    Beheringer Distortion pedal
    Dunlop Cry Baby
    DigiTech Bad Monkey
    Quote by phip
    you can't really go wrong with a Gibson. Some opinions may differ but I think all the guitars they put out are good. Some may not be affordable but they are good quality. Any Les Paul, SG, Flying V, or explorer you get will be good. Now let me remind you that Epiphone is Gibsons secondary corp. they are good also. If you are thinking of getting a Les Paul think about getting an Epiphone they are just as good and half the price.
    yeah i know about epiphone they do put out some nice guitars but i want a real deal gibson and money isn't a object
    Yes, I very much like the gibson guitar, in fact I especially like their gibson gibson model, as well as their gibson gibson gibson model.
    Quote by strater52
    what was that?

the international emoticon for "guh?"
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Quote by phip

gtfo
    Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    My opinion about Gibson:
    They are splendid guitars, and there is no substitute for it. If you want the specific gibson sound, you will need to buy one.
    BUT...

imo there are better guitars for the price. For example: i would not trade my Jackson for ANY gibson, not even a 8000$ custom one.
    On the other hand, i also have a Gibson les paul, because i want a guitar that have the gibson Les Paul sound, and there really is no substitute that will give me that tone.

So... you have to know what you want.
    Hufschmid
    Blackat
    Washburn USA Custom Shop
    PRS
    Mayones
    Orange
    Diezel
    Engl
    Quote by strater52
    yeah i know about epiphone they do put out some nice guitars but i want a real deal gibson and money isn't a object

if moneys no object, go to a bunch of guitar stores and buy the one you like the most

who cares what we like. i bet a lot of us havent even played our dream guitar
    Quote by Dave_Mc
    gtfo

He's right. A good epiphone with a pickup swap is as good or better than a gibson.

And TS, get a new amp. Yours sucks.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
    Quote by stradivari310
    He's right. A good epiphone with a pickup swap is as good or better than a gibson.

You're an idiot.
    Hufschmid
    Blackat
    Washburn USA Custom Shop
    PRS
    Mayones
    Orange
    Diezel
    Engl
    Quote by LP_CL
    You're an idiot.

How so? Have you tried an epiphone with hand-wound pickups? That's the key difference in sound, especially when both guitars are the same wood anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

if money is no object call up Gibsons Custom Shop and have them make you a guitar, you might have to wait a year for it but it's well worth it.

Quote by stradivari310
    How so? Have you tried an epiphone with hand-wound pickups? That's the key difference in sound, especially when both guitars are the same wood anyway.

Gibsons are usually put together better and use higher quality woods than Epiphones, even the expensive ones (note: this doesn't to some of the really cheap Gibsons.) I know someone with a Gibson LP Custom and an Epi Elitist LP they both have the same pups (Gibson Burstbucker 2s in the bridge and 1s in the neck) and the Gibson does sound better (mainly it sounds fatter and has more sustain)
    make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
    Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at May 19, 2008,
    Quote by Kid_Thorazine
    Gibsons are usually put together better and use higher quality woods than Epiphones, even the expensive ones (note: this doesn't to some of the really cheap Gibsons.)

To be more specific, the difference in tone with the same pickups is negligible. And besides, I'd much rather spend the money on effects or an amp than the name on the headstock...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Half the Gibbys I have played (well, 3 out of 6) have been "meh." The other half have blown my socks off.

And I own one of that half.
    Quote by stradivari310
    To be more specific, the difference in tone with the same pickups is negligible. And besides, I'd much rather spend the money on effects or an amp than the name on the headstock...

not really read my edit. Remember your also paying for better build quality and better materials with the Gibson, not just the name on the headstock.

Last.fm
    Quote by Kid_Thorazine
    not really read my edit. Remember your also paying for better build quality and better materials with the Gibson, not just the name on the headstock.

Well I think a good portion of everybody's opinion is based on the guitars they have tried. I don't think the fact that Gibsons aren't consistently better than Epiphones justifies their inflated price tag.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310

No, he's not right, and no it isn't as good.
    Like podcasts? Listen to these!
    BEER!
    VIDEO GAMES!
    MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
    Quote by stradivari310
    Well I think a good portion of everybody's opinion is based on the guitars they have tried. I don't think the fact that Gibsons aren't consistently better than Epiphones justifies their inflated price tag.

the high end ones are, the only bad Gibsons I've ever played where in the $600-$1000 (new) price range, which is about the same for the high end Epis, and some of those Gibsons are still better.

Last.fm
    I have a 96 standard -77 custom - 06 1960 r.i. vos -65 melody maker . I think they all play and sound great . I like my gibsons .
    never under estimate a good luthier.
    epiphone +new pups+a board leveling (set up) = 100% potential
    Quote by stradivari310

And TS, get a new amp. Yours sucks.
    thanks for that yeah i know it sucks i'm planning on getting new stuff but priorities first man sweet guitar ...then the amp to go with it
    Quote by nauc
    if moneys no object, go to a bunch of guitar stores and buy the one you like the most

who cares what we like. i bet a lot of us havent even played our dream guitar

i played my dream guitar... the remake of it from the custom shop... i could of dropped dead and been happy... it was a 1956 Gibson Goldtop les paul [ last year gibson used p-90s in the les paul]

and i love my gibson sg..... if money is no object why not get a lp that you like and then get a fender or something?
    I've just got my first Gibson from the craigslist. it's an SG faded special and it has been upgraded with SD pearly gates and SD alnico II pro. The build quality is quite good. The neck and the fretwork is quite excellent and that's what I look for on a guitar.

I also have a custom handmade guitar too. I like them both equally.
    i got two... i agree that if you want the sound the gibson is going to make you very very happy... because its the sound you want, nothing else is going to be able to get that sound for you... which is kind of why i do not like ibanez and schecters and jacksons because yes alot of them play and feel AMAZING, soundwise they just do not suit my needs... i like a natural sounding guitar, like a gibson or a fender... i have a good feeling those are the two main brands i will ever own, with the exception of a jackson SLSMG / RR1 and an esp MX 250... i love those three guitars

Quote by stradivari310

you will grow out of that mindset eventually... i used to think my old epiphone explorer with EMG's and was set up smoked every gibson out there... boy was i wrong... dont be so quick to judge... gibson wouldnt be where they are if they werent doing something right... think about it... epiphones feel like **** and could not hold a candle to their more expensive counterparts... get out there and play more guitars because obviously you have not had a chance to encounter too many of them... you have an ignorant mindset if thats how you really think
    2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
    Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
    Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at May 20, 2008,
    Quote by patfarlow
    never under estimate a good luthier.
    epiphone +new pups+a board leveling (set up) = 100% potential

I dont believe there are so many ignorant people on this forum.
    How the hell can a guitar, built of cheap a$s woods with cheap a$s electronics, a cheap a$s bridge and tailstop, cheap a$s tuners, cheap ass nut and cheap a$s poly finish EVER sound and play as good as a guitar that scores way better on all these things?
    Pickups and a setup will make it better, but still not good. Wake up.
    Hufschmid
    Blackat
    Washburn USA Custom Shop
    PRS
    Mayones
    Orange
    Diezel
    Engl
    gibsons are alright. but they lack 24 fret access and a trem. unless you go for these custom ones. its very true that at least 40 percent of the money goes for the logo,
    Quote by Deadkid248
    i played my dream guitar... the remake of it from the custom shop... i could of dropped dead and been happy... it was a 1956 Gibson Goldtop les paul [ last year gibson used p-90s in the les paul]

and i love my gibson sg..... if money is no object why not get a lp that you like and then get a fender or something?
    i already have a fender strat but i also want the nice ballsy tone that gibsons have
    ^If i were you, id buy a tube amp.
    Hufschmid
    Blackat
    Washburn USA Custom Shop
    PRS
    Mayones
    Orange
    Diezel
    Engl
    Gibson guitars are OKAY. They aren't effing amazing, but they're okay.

For the price however, they're sh*t. The money you spend on the Gibson is for the name on the head.
    Plays:
    Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
    Parker Mojo Fly
    Ibanez SZR 720
    Tanglewood Evolution
    LaPatrie Etude DEMO
    '66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
    SGR C-7 (defretted)
    Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
    Laney LV300
    BOSS RC-20XL
    Quote by Fryer Mike

For the price however, they're sh*t. The money you spend on the Gibson is for the name on the head.

+1

The studios are horrible...the peavey hp blows it away at soo much cheaper.

You're paying for the name. And who doesn't wanna be like their guitar idol?
    i just sold my gibson les paul standard and bought a fender strat deluxe HSS, i was fed up of the monotonous tone of the gibson and the neck that felt about as subtle as a tree trunk compared to any fender.
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    - Jimi Hendrix
    Quote by stradivari310

i disagree (unless he means japanese-made epiphones).

the wood etc won't be as good, and by the time you upgrade everything you could probably have bought a gibson.

that being said, gibsons are way too dear for what they are too. but buying a non-japanese epiphone to counter that is kinda daft, as they're handicapped by gibson to not be as good, or else gibsons wouldn't sell.

you need to look to different companies, in other words.

Quote by stradivari310

they aren't the same wood.

Quote by LP_CL
    I dont believe there are so many ignorant people on this forum.
    How the hell can a guitar, built of cheap a$s woods with cheap a$s electronics, a cheap a$s bridge and tailstop, cheap a$s tuners, cheap ass nut and cheap a$s poly finish EVER sound and play as good as a guitar that scores way better on all these things?
    Pickups and a setup will make it better, but still not good. Wake up.

+1

Quote by Fryer Mike

+1 (dunno about sh*t, but not good enough, certainly).
    Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Yeah. Respectable guitar comanies (I DON'T RESPECT GIBSON) price their guitars according to their quality and cosmitics per say... given the exception of signatures; in which case, you're paying for the player's name, quality, and cosmetics.

With a Gibson, you pay for the name... the quality and the cosmetics, BUT... the quality isn't at par with the price. 3000 bucks for a guitar that is equal in quality to that of an 800 dollar guitar? I think NOT!
    Plays:
    Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
    Parker Mojo Fly
    Ibanez SZR 720
    Tanglewood Evolution
    LaPatrie Etude DEMO
    '66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
    SGR C-7 (defretted)
    Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
    Laney LV300
    BOSS RC-20XL
    im just glad more people are realizing this.

If some people just used their ears ppl would pick different gear.

But names to make a difference on the market.
    Page 1 of 2