I would consider myself somewhere between beginner and intermediate as far as guitar goes (leaning towards intermediate), but being largely self-taught until this Summer (when I'll have my piano/guitar teacher and my uncle to help me along), I'm doing my best to figure out some things on my own, but I've gotten somewhat stuck.

I'm curious what the preferred method (or correct way) of playing something like this would be (extracted from Skid Row's 18 & Life):

e---16---------------------19b~-------------------------------|
B-19--19p17p16--17p16-----------------------------------------|
G-------------18-----18p16------------------------------------|
D-------------------------------------------------------------|
A-------------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------------|

What I'm concentrating on is picking the 18th fret on the G string followed by picking the 17th fret on the B string. The reason it's giving me trouble is because the notes preceding it (19p17p16) are pull-offs, then a few quick plucks, then more pull-offs, and I'm having trouble getting it all sounding the same. Also, at full speed, would you actually pluck the G string individually and then the B string, or would you mute the B string, strum both, then mute the G string (presumably just lifting your finger) and play the B string?

I hope this makes sense. Any input would be appreciated. I do practice slow, and can play that particular section pretty well slow, I just don't know what's expected of my hands at a faster speed, or if there are some tricks I'm missing.

[Edit] I can give more examples of this too if needed.

[Edit] The same question applies to runs down the strings that involve the same technique (picking the string below, then back up, then down again, or vice versa, all involving hammer-ons/pull-offs in the mix).

Thanks!
Last edited by samling at May 19, 2008,
Quote by samling

What I'm concentrating on is picking the 18th fret on the G string followed by picking the 17th fret on the B string. The reason it's giving me trouble is because the notes preceding it (19p17p16) are pull-offs, then a few quick plucks, then more pull-offs, and I'm having trouble getting it all sounding the same. Also, at full speed, would you actually pluck the G string individually and then the B string, or would you mute the B string, strum both, then mute the G string (presumably just lifting your finger) and play the B string?

I suppose you could mute it, but I'm not really big on muting, I'd pluck each string individually... If it's really giving you this much trouble try playing the 14th fret of the B string instead of the 18th fret of the G string, it's the same note. You probably wont have too much trouble since it'd be on the same string....
just practice it slowly, and when you've got it nailed at the slower speed then you can gradually increase the speed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com