Page 1 of 2
So I was on the topic of inbreeding with my friend, when this idea came up.

Why do people feel that inbreeding is wrong?
I mean, I would never think about it personally as I disagree with it and wouldn't want to. But how exactly is it wrong?

The Christian society in the world is vastly large. The story of Adam and Eve is that they are the first people created on Earth. Even if Adam and Eve aren't brother and sister, their children would be just that. There is no possible way that humans were created without inbreeding if this story is true, unless the first humans ended up mating with animals, which according to the bible, didn't really happen.
And isn't it funny that most Christians battle against the idea of incest because it's "not in the bible" or "against God's will"?

So, sure, inbreeding isn't the most appealing thing to most, but should it be banned and illegal? As I said, I am not one for incest and this is not in regards to me or anything to do with me. I am just wondering what the pit thinks.
Because when you in breed, all the recessive genes (which can carry the illnesses, deformities, or something) come out.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I've thought about that before. It's either proof that inbreeding is OK, or that the whole adam and eve thing is bull crud.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by kikaykitko
Because when you in breed, all the recessive genes (which can carry the illnesses, deformities, or something) come out.

+1 It's not healthy for the gene pool and leads to birth defects and anomalies.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by kikaykitko

By jove, she's got it!
Quote by OddOneOut
+1 It's not healthy for the gene pool and leads to birth defects and anomalies.

I don't think the defects are guaranteed though, just more likely.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
eww, i was astonished at the amount of people supporting this idea of imbreeding.
i dont want to start a religion thread or something but the story of adam and eve simply isnt true so therefore it really has no say about incest. as for the people who do believe it.... then oh well
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by kikaykitko

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BATTLE TO THE DAETH
Quote by kikaykitko

Exactly. That's why evolution has led to humans who do not screw their siblings.
I don't see ethic reasons against it (leaving out religion), but it's just eww.
The only situation I would ever do a relative, is if she was the same age, and really distant, so distant I don't even know how we're related.

Oh, and if she isn't fugly.
It's socially unacceptable, and society creates morality. Also, it's dangerous potentially dangerous genetically and psychologically.

The morality of incest with impressionable children should also be obvious.

In the situation of Adam and Eve, there would have been no genetic problems because
a) The genetics were pure

b) They were said to live for hundreds of years allowing for much more distant family relations

I happen to believe the morals in the Bible are sound and objective, and it clearly establishes that incestuous relationships are no longer permitted, being only commanded of Adam and Eve and later Noah and his sons and their wives.
Last edited by denizenz at May 19, 2008,
Yeah that makes me laugh, Adam and Eve's children must have had sex with each other, but then the whole religion makes a big deal about it.

I think it's kind of gross, but you've got a good point.

^They were the only people on earth... weren't they..?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Inbreeding screws up the offspring. In some states it isn't illegal if one member is sterile or if the woman is past a certain age which would make her sterile but this is only first cousins I'm not sure about mother son or brother sister incest.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
About the Adam and Eve thing, I don't belive that. The Bible was obviously wrong, as it has many errors and was written by people knew basically nothing. And also, Adam and Eve had 2 sons, so that's kind of the end of humanity, unless the sons got Eve pregnant.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by rickyy
I don't think the defects are guaranteed though, just more likely.

Yeah but would you risk your kids having down syndrome when you could have just had kids with someone else?

Quote by kiyiko
I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BATTLE TO THE DAETH

/facepalm
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko
Yeah but would you risk your kids having down syndrome when you could have just had kids with someone else?

/facepalm

defects are only 50% more likely
aka
5% vs. 7.5%
Quote by black-sabbath
About the Adam and Eve thing, I don't belive that. The Bible was obviously wrong, as it has many errors and was written by people knew basically nothing. And also, Adam and Eve had 2 sons, so that's kind of the end of humanity, unless the sons got Eve pregnant.

Exactly, the bible is a book of fairy tales.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
because society tells us it's wrong. there's no other reason. it is true that defects are more likely, but consider this: when you think about incest, do you think about giving birth to a sick child, or being called white trash?
Oh also about the Adam and Eve thing. I'm agnostic but I kinda of thought about it differently since evolution states that we all come from an origin of species who is to say that Adam isn't the first cell and Eve was it's offspring. I mean if you think about it the people who wrote the Bible would have no way of knowing what a cell is therefore writing what would seem to make sense, and by Eve being the rib it is just the budding of the cell. I mean it is entirely possible that the story of Adam and Eve took many more years than it says just for the fact of the people who wrote the Bible didn't have the understanding of science we do today.
Quote by kikaykitko

+1
its also disgusting. dude, the bible (especialy the pentetuch and revelations) is FILLED with symbolism. God wants you to folow Jesus and have morals. that is basicaly EVERY religion, have morals. with adam and eve, that story did not unfold as it says in genisis. that was story used to get a point across and to represent something. and FYI, revelations was written for the christians being prosicuted in the middle ages, its NOT meant for our times. so when someone says "LOOK the world will end!!!" thats becasue it was not meant to be read by our world today (i think its fun to read). im not one of those "born again" christians, i dont preach God to the masses, i am not a good example of the Church, i am a normal sinner, a Catholic, and all im saying is this if you arent Christian. our religion is the ONLY one that has proof. THE ONLY ONE! buddah, was a man, died, and was burried. islaham, was a man, died, and was burried. but Jesus was infact a man, he did die, he was burried, but on the third day, He rose up to fufill His promis. im not a preist, im not anyone that should talk about religion, but if you aren't Christian, consider it (and if your not Catholic, think about that) i hope this helps and doesnt start an uproar
HiMyNameIsMatt
this isn't a debate about the Bible!

it's wrong because of morality etc. no normal person would want to have intercourse with their siblings.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Oh also a great example of why not to have incest is because if you look at cultural group who breed within thier cultural groups they often have problems. The Amish have a huge problem wuith near sightedness and eastern European mainly the Jewish community has the possibility of Tay Sachs which is a really bad disease and most people who have it I believe don't make it a year.
Quote by Sol9989
this isn't a debate about the Bible!

it's wrong because of morality etc. no normal person would want to have intercourse with their siblings.

Actually that is where the Bible comes in. The Bible says it is wrong and that is part of the reason you think no normal person would do it that whole idea comes partly from the Bible. It is social conditioning at work. Same reason many think gays aren't normal. Same reason many people before the Civil Rights Movement didn't like black people. It is all about social conditioning.
one.....what if no offspring are involved?
two.....might not be for you, but why hate on others, you dont know what they feel, and it dosent affect you
three.....lol@bible
Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
So I was on the topic of inbreeding with my friend, when this idea came up.

Why do people feel that inbreeding is wrong?
I mean, I would never think about it personally as I disagree with it and wouldn't want to. But how exactly is it wrong?

The Christian society in the world is vastly large. The story of Adam and Eve is that they are the first people created on Earth. Even if Adam and Eve aren't brother and sister, their children would be just that. There is no possible way that humans were created without inbreeding if this story is true, unless the first humans ended up mating with animals, which according to the bible, didn't really happen.
And isn't it funny that most Christians battle against the idea of incest because it's "not in the bible" or "against God's will"?

So, sure, inbreeding isn't the most appealing thing to most, but should it be banned and illegal? As I said, I am not one for incest and this is not in regards to me or anything to do with me. I am just wondering what the pit thinks.

The bible is chocked full of contradiction.
Quote by tayroar
Actually that is where the Bible comes in. The Bible says it is wrong and that is part of the reason you think no normal person would do it that whole idea comes partly from the Bible. It is social conditioning at work. Same reason many think gays aren't normal. Same reason many people before the Civil Rights Movement didn't like black people. It is all about social conditioning.

+1

EDIT
"life of a black person"
oh noes, i be accused of stealing
oh noes, i high
oh noes, i be getting opperssed by white people
oh noes, i be killing the english language
oh noes, that bitsh stole my cotton
Last edited by kiyiko at May 19, 2008,
Quote by AlecMag
I've thought about that before. It's either proof that inbreeding is OK, or that the whole adam and eve thing is bull crud.

And you didn't figure this out already?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
The bible is chocked full of contradiction.

I know (I'm atheist by the way).
I just think it's weird that people can follow something so closely and then go completely against something that happened in the bible.
Quote by rickyy
I don't think the defects aren't guaranteed though, just more likely.

It's all about recessive and dominant genes. You have every gene twice, my friend. Chances are that those two genes which affect the same feature of your body (let's say the colour of your hair), are different. You might have a gene that says 'blonde' while the other one says 'black'. In this case 'black' is dominant, 'blonde' is recessive, so you'll end up having black hair.
Now if you find yourself a woman and have kids with her and she has the genes 'black' and 'blonde', too, your children might be blonde, although your girl and you are black haired. That is because you only give one of your genes to your kid, same does your girl. So you might both end up giving your kid the 'blonde' gene - since the only thing the kid has are two 'blonde' genes, it'll be blonde. Chances of getting a blonde child for a couple with said genes is 1:3. So if you have four children, three of them will have black hair, while one will be blonde (averagely).
Now imagine instead of hair colours you have a dominant gene that is healthy and a recessive one that is defective and causes your offspring to be ill. If you find a girl with the same genetics in this area, your chances of getting healthy children is 3:1. Three kids will be healthy, the fourth will be ill.
Finding a person that has the same defective recessive gene as you is pretty hard, so usually you don't have to worry about such things. But if you choose to have kids with your own sibling, you choose someone who's genetically equipped comparably to you, so the cahnces of both of you sharing said gene is a lot higher.

That's why you should not screw your sister.

There are people on this site that can phrase this better than me. *waits for freedoms stain*

EDIT: Please let the bible out of this, this is not the religion thread. Otherwise this'll get closed pretty soon.
do other animals interbreed?
i dont think they do, maybe it's just natural or something.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by XxGloriousxX

Some do, some don't. Those who rely on a high population to make the race survive (rats and the like) do it, those who rely on a small amount of healthy individuals (basically anything the size of a cat or bigger) don't.

Quote by denizenz
Morality from natural law is bullshit.

Exactly. Rape is common among animals, that doesn't mean we have to do it, too though.
Quote by black-sabbath

though being a christian, i'm not saying i necessarily believe the story of adam and eve (as God/Jesus did use many parables in their teachings to get points or ideas across), but they did have more than just 2 sons, according to the story. Caine and Able are just the ones you hear about the most.
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by TheQuailman
It's all about recessive and dominant genes. You have every gene twice, my friend. Chances are that those two genes which affect the same feature of your body (let's say the colour of your hair), are different. You might have a gene that says 'blonde' while the other one says 'black'. In this case 'black' is dominant, 'blonde' is recessive, so you'll end up having black hair.
Now if you find yourself a woman and have kids with her and she has the genes 'black' and 'blonde', too, your children might be blonde, although your girl and you are black haired. That is because you only give one of your genes to your kid, same does your girl. So you might both end up giving your kid the 'blonde' gene - since the only thing the kid has are two 'blonde' genes, it'll be blonde. Chances of getting a blonde child for a couple with said genes is 1:3. So if you have four children, three of them will have black hair, while one will be blonde (averagely).
Now imagine instead of hair colours you have a dominant gene that is healthy and a recessive one that is defective and causes your offspring to be ill. If you find a girl with the same genetics in this area, your chances of getting healthy children is 3:1. Three kids will be healthy, the fourth will be ill.
Finding a person that has the same defective recessive gene as you is pretty hard, so usually you don't have to worry about such things. But if you choose to have kids with your own sibling, you choose someone who's genetically equipped comparably to you, so the cahnces of both of you sharing said gene is a lot higher.

That's why you should not screw your sister.

There are people on this site that can phrase this better than me. *waits for freedoms stain*

EDIT: Please let the bible out of this, this is not the religion thread. Otherwise this'll get closed pretty soon.

inbreeding does not directly lead to congenital birth defects per se; it leads to an increase in the frequency of homozygotes. A homozygote encoding a congenital birth defect will produce children with birth defects, but homozygotes that do not encode for congenital birth defects will decrease the number of carriers in a population. If children born with this type of heritable birth defect die (or are killed) before they reproduce, the ultimate effect of inbreeding will be to decrease the frequency of defective genes in the population.

Quote by XxGloriousxX

many do, simply because they are the closest, and easiest to mate with
i get threadstarters point, but what the hell.. there are so many flaws in religion it just gets on my nerves, you can point them out for eternity..
all roads lead to rome
Well, it wasn't a rare thing in ancient Egypt, so it's probably because of the society besides the scientific part.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Page 1 of 2